• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EDA98

Dec 4, 2019
    Laurel MD
    Hey yall. Im looking for recommendations for a first general purpose shotgun, ie homedefense and occasional backyard clays. I am drawn to the Ithaca M37 because I love how it looks with the bottom ejection. But i am not sure how an older shotgun might be for a newbie. If my budget is around $4-500 is an used ithaca even feasible these days? Or should I stick with a remington or mossberg. Thanks

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Hey yall. Im looking for recommendations for a first general purpose shotgun, ie homedefense and occasional backyard clays. I am drawn to the Ithaca M37 because I love how it looks with the bottom ejection. But i am not sure how an older shotgun might be for a newbie. If my budget is around $4-500 is an used ithaca even feasible these days? Or should I stick with a remington or mossberg. Thanks

A thread just like this popped up already today lol.

For the "if I can only have one", meaning, good for home defense, hunting, and occasional clay games, get a mossberg 500 or remington 870 and keep a 28inch barrel with removable chokes, and a shorter barrel with smooth-bore for home defense.

Pretty sure they both make models that come with two barrels, or at least, a second barrel isn't too expensive.

Benelli Nova is also a good options but spare barrels are harder to come by.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I love the Ithaca model 37. I grew up using my grandfathers' Remington model 17 which is basically the precursor to the model 37. Made only in 20Ga by Remington. The bottom ejection is nice for right or left handed individuals. Might also help keep dirt out of the action. The model 37 comes in many gauges and types (upland, waterfowl, turkey etc.). Wood stock or synthetic and as a pump action you aren't likely to have issues with ammo like 'will it cycle my auto action or not'. It will.
    Sounds like I could sell these things doesn't it? :D

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    If you like the bottom ejection, you might want to look into a Browning BPS. Used ones can be found relatively cheaply and they are still in production so parts and extra barrels are fairly easy to find. They don't make dedicated home defense barrels, but they do make a 22'' upland barrel that would work well for home defense.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    If you like the bottom ejection, you might want to look into a Browning BPS. Used ones can be found relatively cheaply and they are still in production so parts and extra barrels are fairly easy to find. They don't make dedicated home defense barrels, but they do make a 22'' upland barrel that would work well for home defense.

They still make the Ithaca and are easy to find used as well.
    Just sayin'

DirtyHarry45

Jun 8, 2013
    Savage/Stevens 350 12 gauge. Tough to find now but it’s a really nice bottom eject shotgun for home defense

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Either a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590. Get an extra barrel so you have both long(26-28") and short(18-20")

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you like the Ithaca on purpose , by all means get an Ithaca . They are fine guns , and shooter grade ones are still reasonable and fairly common .

The whole Catch in common discussions is people saying that they want a single shotgun for " Hunting/ casual clay targets AND home defense " . In common wisdom, dedicated home defense shotguns have short ( think 18 to 20, maybe 22 inches ) while typical Field shotguns have 28 in , or 30 in in earlier days .

Think about your home, the layout , and likely defensive scenarios . Could you realistically adapt with a 28 in bbl ? ( Not a setup question , your answer might legitimately be yes , but do think about it .)

If no , your options become smaller . Two barell packages are common , mostly with Remington 870 and Mossberg .

OR , with judicious shopping , $500 could get you reasonably close to Two shotguns . Your prefered Ithaca M37 , and a used beater pump , suitable for chopping to 20 inches .

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    +1. These seem to fit. I am more partial to remmy, but both guns are reliable and have great aftermarket support. You really can’t go wrong with either!

As a frame of reference, a local medium size chain retailer was completely sold out of all pump shotguns, the more economical ones. SxS, O/u, single shot and SA (higher $$$ ones) were still almost fully stocked. There were 2, high end, clay shooter 870 on the shelf. High gloss, adjustable stock, etc.

My local gun site had mossy with both barrels and a stock / pistol grip for 300 recently. Not too bad.

If / when your budget does open up, you can always move to an SA. Save that discussion for later.

Either a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590. Get an extra barrel so you have both long(26-28") and short(18-20")

Sirex