• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    What about the first interaction with police?

There is someone in your home. You shoot him.

You kinda have to call the police at this point. (Objectively I would say to call first, then grab the gun and defend yourself as you now have a record that you wanted someone else to handle this so you didn't have to kill the intruder, but the situation may not allow for that)

So you are not standing over the body of the intruder. You have to call 911 and tell the cops to come out. I assume you have to tell them why. You can't say "Hey...just send police but I am not making a statement"

So what can you safely say on that recorded call so the cops know what they are responding to?

Is it okay to stick with basic facts? "There was an intruder in my home. I have shot him. Send police and and ambulance"

And what about when the police get there? You have to open the door and give them your name. I assume they are going to want to make sure the threat is over so they will need basic information about what happened. What do you need to say to help the police ensure the house is safe that isn't going to eff you in court?

I always had it in my head that you should ask for an ambulance for the intruder for 2 reasons. 1 because it shows you don't want him to die and 2 because it is the right thing to do for someone who will die without medical help even if he was there to hurt you.
    Don’t say a THING you don’t have to until you have an attorney.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    Don’t say a THING you don’t have to until you have an attorney.

100% agreed

But my question is "what do I HAVE to say" when I call 911 and when the cops first arrive

I assume most cops will see the situation and understand why you aren't making any further statements at that time (even if they don't like it, they will understand it)

But they are going to need SOME information to get them there and to assess the ongoing threat

randomuser

Ultimate Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Baltimore County
    100% agreed

But my question is "what do I HAVE to say" when I call 911 and when the cops first arrive

I assume most cops will see the situation and understand why you aren't making any further statements at that time (even if they don't like it, they will understand it)

But they are going to need SOME information to get them there and to assess the ongoing threat

?Not really thought of it, but something along the lines of:

someone is breaking into my house, please send police and ems in case he hurts us. im getting off so i can hide. click.

EDA98

Dec 4, 2019
    Laurel MD
    If you can, have someone else make the 911 call, a spouse or whomever. be as clear and concise as possible without giving any info that could hurt you. Ideally have them call while you interact with the intruder that way they only have to say "there is an intruder in my home, I am unsafe and afraid for my life" or something similar. when the police arrive say the same thing. there was an intruder and i was afraid for my life and I want a lawyer. and obviously make sure whatever weapon was used has been made safe and is no longer on your person.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    This is why things like US Lawshield exist.

911, then attorney. If you're not alone call each at same time.

TD

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    100% agreed

Call, give your description and that you're armed. I am going to be in my back bedroom, they'll get my location and then I'm throwing the phone on the floor, still connected.
    I am not going to try to defend my life and possibly others shooting 1 handed and distracted .

BrianS

Apr 26, 2010
    Besides seizing the gun you used to defend yourself, would they also take any other guns in the house or is it only limited to weapon involved?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Besides seizing the gun you used to defend yourself, would they also take any other guns in the house or is it only limited to weapon involved?

Officers would likely at minimum take any firearms within your "wingspan" or easily accessible and render them safe. Whether they actually remove them from the premises may depend on the senior officer present and what he decides to do. The firearm actually used...yes...it would be taken as evidence.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Officers would likely at minimum take any firearms within your "wingspan" or easily accessible and render them safe. Whether they actually remove them from the premises may depend on the senior officer present and what he decides to do. The firearm actually used...yes...it would be taken as evidence.

With some of us here, taking all the weapons will require overtime and a U Haul....

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Doesn't the NRA maintain a list of attorneys versed in self-defense and firearms law one can retain for counsel?

I carry CCWSafe insurance. They have lawyers, and lists of local lawyers who are capable of handling this type of case.

Anyone who owns a firearm for home defense, to say nothing of carrying one on the street, would be well advised to get this type of insurance.

It's the financial equivalent of a couple three boxes of anti-personnel cartridges. It can save your future.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I carry CCWSafe insurance. They have lawyers, and lists of local lawyers who are capable of handling this type of case.

Anyone who owns a firearm for home defense, to say nothing of carrying one on the street, would be well advised to get this type of insurance.

It's the financial equivalent of a couple three boxes of anti-personnel cartridges. It can save your future.
    Good idea.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

Did you do some research before picking that one?

I haven't yet but I remember reading that at least one of the companies providing that insurance was promising more than they delivered, or involved in some other kind of scam and had to stop offering coverage in those situations.

I need to do some goggling...

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

I haven't yet but I remember reading that at least one of the companies providing that insurance was promising more than they delivered, or involved in some other kind of scam and had to stop offering coverage in those situations.

I have CCWSafe. They are completely funded. I don't know the technical term, but they don't rely on some 3rd party insurance company that may change their mind. They also are the only company who had successfully won in an actual self defense case.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

Yes I did, at the time. They offered extensive coverage, and still send me regular posts regarding SD cases and the law.

I admit I do not know whether they actually deliver. Anyone who can dig up that info and post it here will receive my unsolicited admiration and gratitude.

Here's one review:https://www.concealedcarrystates.org/ccw-safe/

And here's one that has bad things to say:
    https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=283385

I have insurance because, given the costs involved, it's better than not having insurance. Best, is, of course, not having to shoot someone at all.

I'm always open to better options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom