• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    The number of people who talk about "stacking it deep when it's cheap" vs the number who actually do it... are two very different numbers. I have a case or more of mil surp ammo in every single caliber I shoot in my emergency reserve, and it never gets touched[1]. My recreational and competitive shooting might take a hit (not yet, though!), but it's a nice peace of mind feeling to know that I've got what I need if things get too real in real-life.

[1] I did pull some slugs out for a match once. I don't regret it.

That’s what I need to do, I just have my life and liberty pile and fun time pile mixed together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Ya I wish I hard started buying/building right when I turned 18 and not have waited 2.5 years to start. I also thought I had a decent stock pile going with a few hundred rounds for each firearm I have until some others started talking about their pallets

We all started stockpiling somewhere. My Dad had 1 open box of 30-30 and one of 12 ga. on the shelf in the hall closet. A 50 rd box of Remington Kleanbore was in his dresser with his pistol. That was all he needed. I don't think he ever imagined times like this where you couldn't run to the hardware store to buy a box of bullets when you needed it.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    I’m about to try out action pistol and i’m observing a match tomorrow, I’m a little apprehensive about draining my stockpile, so if I did a match once a month how much should I expect to burn through at a time? I’m currently sitting on a little over 2k rounds (9mm) now, of which about 200 is the SHTF defensivr stuff, 750 is red army and about 1100 is quality fmj range ammo. Considering I started at zero it seems like a lot, and most of my practice is dry fire at home or buying a box at Gilbert (for as long as they have anything). But if I get the competition bug I can imagine burning through this quickly and not being able to find anything to replace it.

EDA98

Dec 4, 2019
    Laurel MD
    I am young (21) and only started getting into guns around december 2019. So sadly all this is less than ideal for people like me who arent just panic buying, but actually interested in the hobby. Slowly working on getting what I can though.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Really depends on what the match is, and how much you miss. With something like AGC Outlaw Steel, you're usually doing a minimum of 25 per stage, so it's like 150 rounds or so with no misses. But you're gonna miss, so you want to bring closer to 200-250. I've watched dudes drain mags when they got out of the groove and started missing. I will usually burn ~350 doing an AGC Outlaw Steel match with my CO pistol and PCC, but I don't miss much.

OTOH, I've been to smaller IDPA and USPSA matches where 100-150 rounds were more than enough.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I am young (21) and only started getting into guns around december 2019. So sadly all this is less than ideal for people like me who arent just panic buying, but actually interested in the hobby. Slowly working on getting what I can though.

And that's exactly the right approach.

Those of us a LONG way from being 21 have seen ammo shortages and price escalation many times. They have always existed, and have always run in cycles. Some short, some long.

Always be in the market for ammo. Tuck away what you can over time, as life permits and you're able to do so.

Some ammo you'll buy high. Some ammo you'll buy low. But the alternative is to have a very expensive stake for tomato plants, or a fully functional paper weight.

Keep the faith.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Really depends on what the match is, and how much you miss. With something like AGC Outlaw Steel, you're usually doing a minimum of 25 per stage, so it's like 150 rounds or so with no misses. But you're gonna miss, so you want to bring closer to 200-250. I've watched dudes drain mags when they got out of the groove and started missing. I will usually burn ~350 doing an AGC Outlaw Steel match with my CO pistol and PCC, but I don't miss much.

OTOH, I've been to smaller IDPA and USPSA matches where 100-150 rounds were more than enough.

So if I don’t do this too frequently and snap up boxes here and there when I can maybe I can maintain the stockpile. Seems like we’re close to a point where this is going to put a damper on competition shooting in general.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Diversity is the cool thing right now. So you diversify and buy more guns in various calibers :innocent0 right now the .22 rifles are going to see more action than the others.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV

I’m 100% in the same boat, I just started buying them in April for my 20th bday and haven’t stopped yet. But it sucks cause everything like you said is getting dried up.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Diversity is the cool thing right now. So you diversify and buy more guns in various calibers :innocent0 right now the .22 rifles are going to see more action than the others.
    This is why I bought another case of 5.45x39, yes. 22s aren't gonna work for all shooting matches, though.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Brownells has wolf steel cases in stock for 273 for 1000 rounds

It would hurt your feelings to say they had wolf gold (brass, Taiwan made, on the 'hot' side of .223) back in march for the same price. Right before things went off the cliff I threw an order in and received it. Of course in November/December it was $250/case :o

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    It would hurt your feelings to say they had wolf gold (brass, Taiwan made, on the 'hot' side of .223) back in march for the same price. Right before things went off the cliff I threw an order in and received it. Of course in November/December it was $250/case :o

That makes me so sad, I placed an order and right after my order went through it said out of stock

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    So if I don’t do this too frequently and snap up boxes here and there when I can maybe I can maintain the stockpile. Seems like we’re close to a point where this is going to put a damper on competition shooting in general.

I think you'll soon find that "snapping up boxes here and there when I can'' is ALOT easier said than done. SGAmmo, TargetsportsUSA, LuckyGunner, etc. etc are all out of common calibers. Some HSTs and the like can be found, but not much range ammo. IMO, this is an awful time to begin competition shooting, but to each their own.

When any of the online retailers get a shipment, it goes up 50% over "normal" prices and still sells out in less than a day, if not hours. To me, this shortage seems to be a little "deeper" than past ones. And I'm not too optimistic about it's duration. I think we're going to live/feel this one for quite a while.

Like others have said, if/when things normalize, buy EVERYTHING you need and can afford. Better yet, also learn to make your own.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    I think you'll soon find that "snapping up boxes here and there when I can'' is ALOT easier said than done. SGAmmo, TargetsportsUSA, LuckyGunner, etc. etc are all out of common calibers. Some HSTs and the like can be found, but not much range ammo. IMO, this is an awful time to begin competition shooting, but to each their own.

When any of the online retailers get a shipment, it goes up 50% over "normal" prices and still sells out in less than a day, if not hours. To me, this shortage seems to be a little "deeper" than past ones. And I'm not too optimistic about it's duration. I think we're going to live/feel this one for quite a while.

Like others have said, if/when things normalize, buy EVERYTHING you need and can afford. Better yet, also learn to make your own.

Ya that’s something I really want to get into is loading my own ammo

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable

After I posted that I checked luckygunner and yeah this looks pretty bleak. I wouldn’t know where to begin with reloading but I’m at least looking into it, seems like even getting a hold of the supplies for that will be tough. As far as training goes I picked up an ITargetPro a few weeks ago and I’m real glad I did.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    After I posted that I checked luckygunner and yeah this looks pretty bleak. I wouldn’t know where to begin with reloading but I’m at least looking into it, seems like even getting a hold of the supplies for that will be tough. As far as training goes I picked up an ITargetPro a few weeks ago and I’m real glad I did.

What is itargetpro? And ya I was at Cabela’s in Manassas a few days ago and they’re reloading section was looking pretty skimpy (like 3 things of gun powder, a handful of bags of brass, maybe 5 boxes of primers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom