• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DdotC

Jul 18, 2020
    I’m currently shopping for a CCW size handgun...my top choice is the P365XL, but I’ve been wavering on it. I’m looking for something similar in size. The P365 is too small for my hands and the XL fits better, but I’m not in love with it. Looking for opinions and recommendations of some others to look at.

It’s a range and home defense gun, and something I want to be able to mod and have fun with.

copasetic

Sep 15, 2017
    Montgomery County
    The P365 is perfect for my hand is has been the best ccw option for me...

If the P365XL fits your hand best, you can put a regular P365 slide on an XL lower, might be the best of both worlds.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    The "betters" I listen to opine against various modifications to a self defense firearm. A zealous prosecuting attorney will argue that those modifications represent premeditation on your part to make that firearm a more efficient killing machine. For the same reason I only recommend commercial ammunition in carry guns.

Other posters will inevitably follow here and offer refutations to my observations.

Last edited:

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    Going off topic a bit, aren’t we?

You raised the matter of "mods." I addressed that as a consideration for your purchase. I certainly believe you should buy a handgun your hand "likes." My hand likes the 365XL. I have students who don't like it and prefer others. To each her and his own.

On topic enough?

Last edited:

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    OP, you don’t say you will carry thr gun, just that you want a ccw sized gun. If i wanted a range and home defense only Gun, i would go larger. However, the p365 with a 12 rd mag does provide extra grip. We have one and it has been shot a lot. It has a good trigger and good sights out of the box. A longer barrel on the xl mod gives you a longer sight radius, meaning a little easier to sight with more accuracy. But these are not meant to be target guns with light triggers and adjustable sights intended for precise shooting. Find a range or a friend with a variety of guns and give them a spin. Fit is very important.

DdotC

Jul 18, 2020
    I’ve shot them both. I like it, but I don’t love it. Looking to try one I might LOVE.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    op, do yourself a favor and try a glock 43x at a range that rents them or perhaps shoot a friend's. with an aftermarket mag 15 rounds and no pinkie extensions etc, it's a pretty perfect carry gun.

DdotC

Jul 18, 2020
    I’ve tried the 43X but not with the extended mag. Without it, it’s wayyy to small. I have XXL hands....benefitted me greatly during my athletic days.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I’ve tried the 43X but not with the extended mag. Without it, it’s wayyy to small. I have XXL hands....benefitted me greatly during my athletic days.

I also have XXL hands. The P365XL or VP9SK you were looking at should fit your hands fine since they fit mine.

Smaller guns I own/have shot that fit my hand:

P365XL
    P30SK (VP9SK)
    P320 Subcompact
    P320 XCompact
    Kimber Ultra Carry II

Glock 26, 27, 29, 30, 33 should fit your hands fine too. I haven’t shot one but I did get my hands on a G27 my LGS had to see how it fit. It fit well enough that a G29 and G30 are on my to buy list once everything starts being available again.

Handgun Hero is your friend for comparing sizes.

That being said if you’re not actually going to be carrying And just using for home defense and range something bigger is always a better option in my mind.

DdotC

Jul 18, 2020
    I also have XXL hands. The P365XL or VP9SK you were looking at should fit your hands fine since they fit mine.

P365XL
    P30SK (VP9SK)
    P320 Subcompact
    P320 XCompact
    Kimber Ultra Carry II

Glock 26, 27, 29, 30, 33 should fit your hands fine too. I haven’t shot one but I did get my hands on a G27 my LGS had to see how it fit. It fit well enough that a G29 and G30 are on my to buy list once everything starts being available again.

That being said if you’re not actually going to be carrying And just using for home defense and range something bigger is always a better option in my mind.

Great post! Thank you!

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    How many days a year will you be carrying? What is your main method of carry? Will you be dressing around the gun?

If you are going to carry a few times a year, as in out of state visits that allow it, then I'd stick with a Glock 19. If you will be carrying everyday, the G19 is going to get old quick. I'd suggest the 365XL or 43X. If the 43X was too small for your then look at the G19. The original every day carry gun.

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    I’ve carried a shield in 9mm as well as 45. Both are excellent guns, but the 45 is a little larger and fits my grip better. My friend just picked up the 365 and it can flat out shoot and it addresses the limited capacity of the shield. I would like to pick one up soon. For cool factor I had been looking at a j frame 357 snub nose for a while as well, but decided against it due to low round capability.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You raised the matter of "mods." I addressed that as a consideration for your purchase. I certainly believe you should buy a handgun your hand "likes." My hand likes the 365XL. I have students who don't like it and prefer others. To each her and his own.

On topic enough?
    Oh my. You have students? You preach this crap to them?
    Finding and making a pistol fit your hand isn't a "killing mod".
    Here's something... Stick to teaching people how to shoot. That's it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

P365XL
    P30SK (VP9SK)
    P320 Subcompact
    P320 XCompact
    Kimber Ultra Carry II

Wow. You're quite the handgun expert.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    The "betters" I listen to opine against various modifications to a self defense firearm. A zealous prosecuting attorney will argue that those modifications represent premeditation on your part to make that firearm a more efficient killing machine. For the same reason I only recommend commercial ammunition in carry guns.

Other posters will inevitably follow here and offer refutations to my observations.

I don’t know about a prosecutor landing on mods, but in a civil liability case following a shooting, i can see a plaintiff’s attorney asking what armourer school the def attended to qualify him to make the non sighting mods, such as a lighter trigger. And a plaintiff’s expert discussing orig trigger weight, and why the manuf selected that weight and the result of a new trigger, or springs. I would go there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom