• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Heaters don't pull out moisture, they keep the air and other contents above the dewpoint

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Only if the safe NEVER gets cooler than the rest of the room. If the safe is the same temp or warmer as where the dehumidifier is, you are OK. Its real easy to put a small heater in the safe to be double sure. Do you have any car or homeowner insurance above the minimum? The heater is that little extra in this case

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    https://www.lockdown.com/products/m...-rods/golden-rod-dehumidifier-rod/725721.html

The Golden Rod Dehumidifier works by slightly increasing the air temperature inside the gun safe or other enclosure. This allows the warm air to circulate throughout the safe on a continual basis, thus eliminating humidity, mildew, and condensation. All of which are dangerous to your expensive firearm collection. Made in the USA.

Specs:

12" Length

110-120 volt AC plug power source

Protects Up to 100 cubic feet with an extremely low overall surface area in safe

Eliminates moisture from the air by continuously warming the air and creating a convection current within the gun safe to prevent rust build up

Perfect for gun safes, boat hulls, camper cabinets, and other small areas that harbor moisture

Vermiculite filled, lifetime warranty and Made in the USA

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I design outdoor Payment Kiosks for a living and used to be in the Plastics Drying Industry.

I kind of don't like calling the goldenrod a "dehumidifier". Its a heater.

Its amazing how just keeping the insides warmer than the outsides keeps moisture down.
    Anything that safely bumps the heat up works. Heat distributed over a larger area keeps the surface temperature down. There will be a bit of a gradient near the heater so you need space away from it and nothing touching it.
    Increasing the temp inside the safe by say 10 degrees reduces the Relative Humidity pretty well.

You can use this calculator to look at humidity change on the inside when comparing inside and outside temps.

Remember to not leave safe open for long periods of time. Treat it like a fridge.

What you DON"T want to do is Heat up a closed area, then let it cool down, that can cause condensation. (ever take hot food then put into a zip lock bag or tupperware, then it cools and gets wet on the inside?)

mlj427

Sep 28, 2020
    Thank you everyone. I will check and see if there is a hole in the safe for a cord.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Will have to check out that goldenrod for the holey safe. For one without holes or airflow (e.g. firesafe), I've had good results with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08C3439GT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Large amount of desiccant and easy to dry without needing to microwave repeatedly or worry about melting plastic in the oven!

Any safe can be a holey safe with the proper tools...

None of my safes came with holes, but they all have them now. Just be sure the fire caulk them afterwards

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    A short strand of white Christmas lights will work. Has the added bonus of illuminating the inside so you can see when the door is open. Costs a LOT less too!

Don't buy the ones with led bulbs. They don't put out enough heat

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    One thing to do is remember that keeping the areas around the safe lower in humidity helps allow the inside to also be lower.
    I use the rechargeable/reusable units for my safe and a dehumidifier in the general area outside my safe. No issues.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Put this placard on the outside of your safe.

These types of signs also work well for preventing drugs and firearms in certain areas. You're welcome.

untitled.png

D_S

Aug 22, 2018
    Hollywood
    I use a golden rod, but if your safe doesn't have an interior outlet or a hole to add power ... Eva-Dry Wireless Mini Dehumidifier or the like, but you have to monitor and dry as necessary (like when you change your furnace filter)... it simply plugs into the wall to dry out...

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    I use a golden rod, but if your safe doesn't have an interior outlet or a hole to add power ... Eva-Dry Wireless Mini Dehumidifier or the like, but you have to monitor and dry as necessary (like when you change your furnace filter)... it simply plugs into the wall to dry out...

I use one of the Eva-Dry units like you mentioned. No outlet near my safe and no hole in it for power anyway, so I can't use a Goldenrod. The Eva-Dry works alright though. I check it once a week or so, and plug it in as needed to recharge. It keeps the inside of my safe around 50% humidity. From what I understand, 40-60% is good, so I'm happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom