• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Well couple days ago I was at the right place at the right time talking to the right guy and struck a deal on a Russian Mosin that is very clean. I knew I had to absolutely Jump On It because it was priced pretty decent and almost at a few years ago price because he was just trying to liquidate For an upcoming move.

This one is in way better shape then an m44 that I got from Aim Surplus years ago that was luck of the draw

Attachments

• 0210211942.jpg
      0210211942.jpg
      68.3 KB · Views: 359
    • 0210211941a.jpg
      0210211941a.jpg
      40.8 KB · Views: 344

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    What's the SHKH marking?

Romanization of the two Cyrillic characters that make up the alpha-prefix to the SN. "Щ" makes the "Sh/Sch" sound while "X" makes a "kh" sound like "Loch" or "Khan." Shows it was an earlier import before everyone realized it was just easier to assign their own SN to everything and electro-pencil it on there somewhere instead of going back and over-stamping the Cyrillic prefixes to meet the BATFE requirement that all serial numbers be in English-language letters and numerals (Roman letters, Arabic numbers)

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    What's the SHKH marking?

Romanization of the two Cyrillic characters that make up the alpha-prefix to the SN. "Щ" makes the "Sh/Sch" sound while "X" makes a "kh" sound like "Loch" or "Khan." Shows it was an earlier import before everyone realized it was just easier to assign their own SN to everything and electro-pencil it on there somewhere instead of going back and over-stamping the Cyrillic prefixes to meet the BATFE requirement that all serial numbers be in English-language letters and numerals (Roman letters, Arabic numbers)

The “TL;DR” version -
    The importers transliterated the Cyrillic into English to make an ATF-legal serial number :D

OP- Nice looking M44. They’re usually pretty good shooters. Especially, if you like fireballs!

Question- Has the stock been sanded/poly’ed?
    Maybe it’s just the lighting, but the wood color seems light and finish is shiny.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    The “TL;DR” version -
    The importers transliterated the Cyrillic into English to make an ATF-legal serial number :D

OP- Nice looking M44. They’re usually pretty good shooters. Especially, if you like fireballs!

Question- Has the stock been sanded/poly’ed?
    Maybe it’s just the lighting, but the wood color seems light and finish is shiny.

Prolly a Polish from the 50s. I have one that was not issued and it is light in color

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Picked up an M44 from Bertfish today. One word- FUN.

I can get it on target consistently with some compensation. I'd like to try it at longer ranges.

I shot my friend's M1 today as well. Ohhhh my. Looking forward to receiving my own M1 soon.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Prolly a Polish from the 50s. I have one that was not issued and it is light in color

Agree the Polish stocks are usually gorgeous! But picture shows a regular ‘44 Izhevsk.

I think it's had a coat of poly sometime in its life. I'm sure I'll be wearing it off, I like to use my stuff.

Again, it could be picture angle/lighting, but it has telltale signs. The finger groove appears darker than surrounding stock. Usually because people sanding aren’t as thorough in that spot. You can also see a darker area directly in front of buttplate. Usually because most people are too lazy to remove the buttplate and ease up on sanding just short of it so as to not mar the metal.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Congrats! Arsenal? Year? Feel free to start a separate thread with pics. The C&R section needs more activity :D

Picked up an M44 from Bertfish today. One word- FUN.

I can get it on target consistently with some compensation. I'd like to try it at longer ranges.

I shot my friend's M1 today as well. Ohhhh my. Looking forward to receiving my own M1 soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom