• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    Good old days

I miss shooting there. I shot and competed there for years. There are probably a few folks that remember the John Pepper days. I learned a lot from him and miss his personality.

I also shot with John a bunch. We did a lot of fun shoots with him, including night shoots on the 600 yard berm...

Then the No Lead thing came up and killed it for a while. We watched active duty doing pistol qual one day when we were on range 9. Something tells me they were shooting lead. Then came the range cleanup fiasco. Tripled the price since we were not shooting lead....

It was a constant game with the people running the ranges (not the RSOs) and I started traveling full time and never was able to go back...

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    I'm going to resurrect this thread to ask if anyone has any recent experiences with it. Based on this thread it seems like it's a bit of a PITA to try to shoot there.

On one hand, for $25/year it would grant me access to a rifle range on the cheap, but if it's going to be a serious pain to try to go shoot, would the juice be worth the squeeze? Unfortunately here in over-populated central Maryland, options for shooting are limited. I go to Cindy's and On Target.

I miss rural Nebraska...although not right now. It was -26 degrees in my hometown last week.

Rural NE rocks - now I'm curious where you are from. I was raised near Lincoln.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Rural NE rocks - now I'm curious where you are from. I was raised near Lincoln.
    Complete opposite side of the state - I was in a small town called Imperial, about 50 miles south of Ogallala.

From my perspective as a kid, it was just about perfect in so many ways.

We had a river, a couple of lakes - Enders Reservoir was the "big" one, but we also had the Light Dam lake and Champion Lake that was created for the Champion water powered mill. The house I grew up in was on the same street as the city municipal park and swimming pool, grade school, public library, the church we attended, and the main entrance to the county fairgrounds. And of course none of that was further than a 4 and a half block walk.

I was born in 1970, so it was before technology really took over on so many fronts. When you grow up in a small town like mine, kids don't really have a perspective of just how many people are out in the world, or what cities are like. As a result, little kids completely buy in to the whole Santa/Easter Bunny fairy tale.

Dunno - it's pretty limited for what it has in amenities, but I can say with certainty that I'm glad I grew up there. If the missus would allow it, I could probably foresee myself living out my final days there too.

On a side note and back on thread topic, I got my MRPC cards in the mail this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom