• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    IS there such a thing?

Along with the walnut K31 I have, I picked up what was billed as an "un-issued" Beech K31 from I THINK SAMCO about 10+ years ago before they went under.
    The rifle is literally Mint and appears to be unfired. It came with a leather sling, muzzle cap and the metal is 99% if not 100%. The stock is unmarked other than the #3 in a circle near the rear sling mount, no swiss cartouche on the right side of the stock, and No Troop tag like the Walnut gun I have.

IS this a legit thing or something like a Mitchel mauser that maybe Samco did? I bought the two of them years ago before deploying to the sandbox and theyve been in the back of the safe since, so I never got around to digging into this.

Unfortunately Im in a position where I need to get rid of some debt and a lot of my milsurp collection is going to be listed in the FOR SALE section as I can get to it, so IM in the process of figuring out what I can emotionally let go without regretting it forever. I dont want to give the gun away but I also dont want to waste my time charging an outrageous price for something it isnt. What should this be priced at? Or should It just go back in the safe and forget I ever thought about selling it?

Pics hopefully attached

Attachments

• IMG_2728.jpg
      IMG_2728.jpg
      91.4 KB · Views: 558
    • IMG_2729.jpg
      IMG_2729.jpg
      99.2 KB · Views: 537
    • IMG_2730.jpg
      IMG_2730.jpg
      82.5 KB · Views: 535
    • IMG_2735.jpg
      IMG_2735.jpg
      107.5 KB · Views: 527
    • IMG_2740.jpg
      IMG_2740.jpg
      79.8 KB · Views: 554
    • IMG_2737.jpg
      IMG_2737.jpg
      127.7 KB · Views: 530
    • IMG_2738.jpg
      IMG_2738.jpg
      85.8 KB · Views: 519

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    Ive seen a few like yours. Back when average k31s were selling for 350ish, ive seen unissued ones occasionally for around 750 or so. Id think in todays market you could get around 1200 or more. I dont see k31s that nice for sale anymore.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    I bought 3 of these Samco specials back in the day as well (I sold one to a member here.) From what I read and discussed with some of the Swiss collectors and from Guisan (RIP) back in the day, these were not unissued rifles. They are most likely Swiss refurbished rifles.

They are still in great shape and I would not be surprised if they are going for more than $1000 in today's market.

I should really take mine out of the safe again so I can appreciate how well they were made.

EDA98

Dec 4, 2019
    Laurel MD
    If I recall correctly, that stamping on the tang behind the action means that it was refurbished. Still a beautiful rifle and I think you would be able to get at minimum $1000, likely more.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I bought 3 of these Samco specials back in the day as well (I sold one to a member here.) From what I read and discussed with some of the Swiss collectors and from Guisan (RIP) back in the day, these were not unissued rifles. They are most likely Swiss refurbished rifles.

They are still in great shape and I would not be surprised if they are going for more than $1000 in today's market.

I should really take mine out of the safe again so I can appreciate how well they were made.

It is hanging on the wall in my bedroom and I admire it everyday. Thanks again!!

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    There were some K31s that were imported into the US for private consumption that were new, not milsurp. I think in the 70's or 80s That receiver looks too pristine to be a re-arsenal to me.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    OP, your rifle was not only issued but it was reworked in 1957. That's why it looks new. The rework is also evidenced by the softened numbers and pressure proof mark on the barrel . The unmarked stock is also a clear sign of it being refurbished. These things in no way detract from it being a nice and collectible rifle but it is a rework.

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Mystery (for me) solved. Now, on to deciding if I need sell it or not. :(

Here's its brother, with bayonet and troop tag, but no sling.

Attachments

• IMG_2716.jpg
      IMG_2716.jpg
      151.2 KB · Views: 291
    • IMG_2717.jpg
      IMG_2717.jpg
      181.8 KB · Views: 307

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I have a Private series rifle that I bought without realizing it. It is in great shape except for the metal butt plate. That is fairly corroded, not sure why. At any rate I would put the OP's rifle as being in nicer shape.

Probably going to sell all my straight pulls and GP11 when I have the time. Love them to death but am feeling the need to simplify and declutter.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I have a Private series rifle that I bought without realizing it. It is in great shape except for the metal butt plate. That is fairly corroded, not sure why. At any rate I would put the OP's rifle as being in nicer shape.

Probably going to sell all my straight pulls and GP11 when I have the time. Love them to death but am feeling the need to simplify and declutter.
    Tale i heard re corroded butt plates and damage to bottom part of butt stocks is troops would stack them in the snow at bivouac. Truth or fiction?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I also have one of those 'unissued' K31s in a beech stock. I was too slow on the trigger to get one w/ Walnut. I think you'll easily get $1k+ for it now.

FWIW, I'd be interested in buying a walnut one if anyone has one of those they want to sell. Even one w a very nice walnut stock but not 'unissued' I'd be interested in. My walnut rifle is pretty beat up.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Tale i heard re corroded butt plates and damage to bottom part of butt stocks is troops would stack them in the snow at bivouac. Truth or fiction?
    I've heard the same tale. Quite possibly true. It used to be fairly common to stack/teepee weapons together and leave a guard if your squad is conducting personal hygiene, eating chow, etc. It's an interesting bit of trivia, though it doesn't really help with my example. It would have been sold to a private owner, akin to a private citizen buying an actual select fire M16A1 from Colt back when that could still be done. Perhaps the original owner was prior military and treated this k31 as such.

C&RTactical

Jul 24, 2013
    Man, I am sad I did not have money at the time to buy one of those unissued K31's back when they were available at Samco.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom