• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4Prosales

" Who's YOUR Daddy NOW "
    Nov 3, 2009
    Question ...
    I’ve basically given up on the CCW fight in Md. Take a Brake ( I Will Never Give Up ) so I’m pondering Why More Marylanders Don’t Exercise the right Unrestricted to carry a rifle. I’ve noticed in Israel and other places it’s Very common for Women Men to carry AR15 AK style compact rifles via slings. What’s the smallest legal in Maryland folding stock rifle I can carry in public UnRestricted in this Communist State ?? I’m curious to hear peoples opinion after seeing the Michigan citizens in mass with rifles in hand. I feel Marylanders need to flood the state with citizens carrying the smallest riffles open carry.

Attachments

• C4D0185A-4D23-466E-8BE6-825AF15CCABE.jpg
      C4D0185A-4D23-466E-8BE6-825AF15CCABE.jpg
      55.9 KB · Views: 1,120

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    In Israel, the people carrying their rifles are military.

While technically legal here, open carry of a rifle is likely to get you arrested. Charges for carrying the rifle will be dropped, but disturbing the peace, creating a public menace etc. will hold up. And AR pistol is still a pistol, and a SBR is considered a pistol too. So what you posted won't even be recognized as a rifle. You will be charged as though it were a handgun.

Trappemann

Mar 26, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    SBR is a whole other can off worms.

If you are having trouble obtaining a CCW, I am confident the SBR stamp will be hard to get as well.

And ... is it really legal to open-carry anything in MD if you are not hunting, at a range, or a Law Enforcement Officer?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ...If you are having trouble obtaining a CCW, I am confident the SBR stamp will be hard to get as well....
    No, not in Maryland.

I have Class III items, and an out of state non-resident concealed weapon permit and there is NO WAY I'll ever qualify for a Maryland CCW because of the way it is managed here ("May Issue", based on Good and Substantial ********).

For SBRs, suppressors, full-auto, etc., if you can legally buy a firearm, you will qualify to buy a tax stamp for the C-III items. The CCW is a whole 'nuther animal.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    SBR is a whole other can off worms.

If you are having trouble obtaining a CCW, I am confident the SBR stamp will be hard to get as well.

And ... is it really legal to open-carry anything in MD if you are not hunting, at a range, or a Law Enforcement Officer?

CCW vs SBR are not comparable.

CCW is very hard to get in MD.

SBR is very easy to get, assuming you are non prohibited person, submit a Form 1 with the ATF, and pay $200 to pass go. But once you own and posses the SBR, there are more strict rules around transport. SBR's are not treated like long guns in the eyes of the law, and as such, the transport laws for long guns do not apply.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    In Israel, the people carrying their rifles are military.

While technically legal here, open carry of a rifle is likely to get you arrested. Charges for carrying the rifle will be dropped, but disturbing the peace, creating a public menace etc. will hold up. And AR pistol is still a pistol, and a SBR is considered a pistol too. So what you posted won't even be recognized as a rifle. You will be charged as though it were a handgun.

[/thread]

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Now don't go pointing that out, or the legislators will ban NFA items, or impose "good and substantial" restrictions.

Legislators imposing a good and substantial reason is a good and substantial reason....:D

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Start a small business, even a sole proprietorship and get a CCW. Hell sell umbrellas, it's still a business and you can still get your CCW.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Question ...
    I’ve basically given up on the CCW fight in Md. Take a Brake ( I Will Never Give Up ) so I’m pondering Why More Marylanders Don’t Exercise the right Unrestricted to carry a rifle. I’ve noticed in Israel and other places it’s Very common for Women Men to carry AR15 AK style compact rifles via slings. What’s the smallest legal in Maryland folding stock rifle I can carry in public UnRestricted in this Communist State ?? I’m curious to hear peoples opinion after seeing the Michigan citizens in mass with rifles in hand. I feel Marylanders need to flood the state with citizens carrying the smallest riffles open carry.

Even if the above was allowed I wouldn't carry it. If it becomes an inconvenience you will carry it less and less.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Getting arrested and having to navigate the courts with all of the associated time, hassle, and costs is WAY more difficult and expensive than just spinning up a small side business. And with that modest little side business, you can carry an actual concealed pistol, instead of imagining you’re gonna walk into the grocery store with an SBR over your shoulder.

Treat mowing lawns like being paid to go to the gym. Except you make a few dollars and you’ve got G&S.

Sure, it’s ridiculous to have to do that. But not as ridiculous as carrying a rifle around with you and getting arrested every day.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Rifle open carry is gonna be a go-to-jail card in any semi-urban part of the state, even if ostensibly legal. You could probably fight any charges that come out of it, but realistically, it's going to be an expensive battle. SBRs are also a little more complicated in terms of them being considered pistols/handguns for some purposes. I would absolutely not be carrying one without doing some real due diligence that they wouldn't somehow be considered a pistol for carrying purposes.

Micro rifles < 29" are also banned as of 2013, so unless you've got a spare hanging out from pre-FSA2013, you wouldn't be able to do it anyways. (IMHO, this is almost the worst part of the whole FSA2013 for me, micro rifles are so fun!)

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    So not necessarily in this order:
    1. SBRs are treated like pistols for carry. You need a W&C (CCW) permit to carry a loaded SBR, open or concealed, same as a pistol.

2. The shortest rifle for which CCW does not apply is 29" if its post 2013, or 26" if you happen to have a pre-2013 rifle (when unfolded with stock fully extended). It can have a folding stock and may fold shorter.

3. While Maryland does not ban open carry, many counties and local municipalities do. Open carry is not legal in Baltimore City, for example. If you need to open carry for SD, say in Baltimore City or Silver Spring... its illegal. Mostly its illegal exactly where you might most need it. Yes, you can open carry in Carroll county, but who cares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom