• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So I took the opportunity yesterday to shoot my new AR9. I see now why a lot of folks like these. It has a nice little thump to it but way less concussion than a 5.56 pistol with an 8" or 10" or even a 16" barrel rifle. The ammo is also reasonably priced, although it's pretty close to 223. I have not costed it out, but I would think reloaders would make out well with 9mm.

Although my go-to AR trigger is a 2 stage Geissele model, I am really starting to like single stage flat triggers with a finger hook on the end; esp for a pistol build. I put in a CMC drop-in designed for 9mm PCC and am really happy with it. No play or take up and crisp.

The pistol ran extremely well with FMJ ammo. I did run about 20 rounds of hollow point and had 1 FTF (so picky when it comes to hollowpoint). But I did not encounter any of the AR9 horror stories I heard about. The pistol really did run like a top; always locked open on the last round.

What I did encounter is pierced primers in about 10% of the rounds. I would not have even know had I not checked the brass (new build so I was checking carefully). The firing pin does look damaged; am currently diagnosing that problem.

Lastly - accuracy. Well - was not great compared to my SBR AR. But it is after all a hand gun and a pistol brace does not compare to a full fledged stock.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    I have never shot a 9mm AR

If it is less recoils than a 5.56 it has to be really stable

Is it similar to the MP5? That is a very stable platform that does a great job of absorbing recoil but I would assume an AR handles it even better since the overall design is made for a larger "boom"

Ovid

Nov 19, 2011
    Reisterstown

Is it similar to the MP5? That is a very stable platform that does a great job of absorbing recoil but I would assume an AR handles it even better since the overall design is made for a larger "boom"

I've found that a properly tuned AR in 5.56/.223 has less recoil than a direct blowback 9MM PDW. Concussion is obviously much less with a 9MM however.

The MP5 is roller delayed, and is famous for it's low recoil impulse. A direct blowback AR9 is going to have more felt recoil, even though the AR is designed around a more powerful caliber.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I've found that a properly tuned AR in 5.56/.223 has less recoil than a direct blowback 9MM PDW.

The MP5 is roller delayed, and is famous for it's low recoil impulse. A direct blowback AR9 is going to have more felt recoil, even though the AR is designed around a more powerful caliber.

Ah, but I believe the OP is using the CMMG radial delayed blowback system.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD

If it's a standard AR-9 action (straight blowback) the recoil is "different". You have a lot of mass moving around in the gun - the bolt is heavier, and so is the buffer. I would say that the overall recoil is certainly lighter than 5.56, but the movement of the gun can be unexpectedly large. This is why you see systems like CMMG's RDB, Taccom's DRB, Angstadt's roller-delay, and Sig's MPX piston that try to reduce the amount of mass bouncing around.

No, roller-delayed actions tend to be softer, more stable shooters in my experience. They have other disadvantages, but recoil isn't one of them.

Ovid

Nov 19, 2011
    Reisterstown
    It tames the recoil nicely.

I'm gonna have to take a look into it then, I was pretty set on a Stribog A3 as my next PDW. But I have only shot straight blowback AR9's before, gonna have to do a lot more research now since I'd rather build my own anyway!

The neat thing about the AA system is that all the wear parts are replaceable, including where the roller half-locks into the receiver. If they were able to get the price down to CMMG's, they'd sell quite a bit.

Now that is really cool. Thanks for the info :party29:

kdmag88

Jan 10, 2018
    I built an AR9 carbine to get my wife into shooting. She likes it and I love it. It's like shooting a 10-22 but with with more balls. I highly recommend everyone have one for a cheap fun toy or to teach beginners stepping up from 22's.

Her only real complaint is it's heavy (7lbs empty). I'm sure the pistol version would've fixed that, but I didn't want to get her mixed up in the back and forth legality of braces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom