• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    A shop over in France has a Fusil Automatique Modèle 1917 in stock and for sale. I've been going down some deep rabbit holes in the quest to bring my Bertheir M16 carbine back to order which has involved more high school French than I ever thought I'd ever use. The good thing is, I'm going over next summer to France and Germany, so I have a feeling I'll be taking side-trips to the stores I've looked at for parts online to see what they have in stock in person. It's amazing what is available straight from the country of origin if you know how to look for it. I currently have several parts that are basically unobtanium here in the US coming for rather reasonable prices from sellers in France, Denmark, and the UK.

Anyway, for those not in the know, this is the first self-loading rifle to see any real combat use. They heavily influenced both the trigger group and gas system in the M1 Garand. They're pretty neat:

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    That is priced pretty high. Then add $1k if it is your only import.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    What? No "Only Dropped Once" jokes about the condition?

Actually, it shouldn't be since it's a WWI curio and the French were pretty bad-ass in that war.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Prices on the RSC 1917 have always been high and in the last year or two have effectively doubled from around $3k to $6k (or more). The much rarer RSC 1918 is totally unobtanium. I've seen ONE sell in 30 yrs. Lord knows what it would bring today. $30K wouldn't shock me. At this point in my collecting life I've given up on the RSC, a bridge too far and too late. I know had I stayed focused and squirreled away more coin of the realm I could have an RSC in the arsenal. But something shiny and neat would always come along to exhaust the fun money fund.
    -It's shocking how fast French parts for the older Lebels and Berthiers have evaporated from the market place. Perhaps that recent pile out of Africa will allow for some harvesting or maybe give up a hidden trove of bits. One can only hope.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    They are neat. IMO, French firearms are underappreciated. I have a MAS44, 49 and 49/56. While I have never shot them, I can say that they are extremely well made.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    -Prices on the RSC 1917 have always been high and in the last year or two have effectively doubled from around $3k to $6k (or more). The much rarer RSC 1918 is totally unobtanium. I've seen ONE sell in 30 yrs. Lord knows what it would bring today. $30K wouldn't shock me. At this point in my collecting life I've given up on the RSC, a bridge too far and too late. I know had I stayed focused and squirreled away more coin of the realm I could have an RSC in the arsenal. But something shiny and neat would always come along to exhaust the fun money fund.
    -It's shocking how fast French parts for the older Lebels and Berthiers have evaporated from the market place. Perhaps that recent pile out of Africa will allow for some harvesting or maybe give up a hidden trove of bits. One can only hope.

I can't tell you how extremely tempted I am to buy up all the Lebel, Gras, and Berthier spares on the site I shared with you in my PM the other day and flip them for a profit over here. I think that Berthier rifle front-band w/ bayonet socket sold for over $100 on fleabay last night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom