• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dont forget electricity for the tumbler. Not worth it to reload 9mm and .223. I just did it to learn the ropes and move on to .45 and .308

The operative term is currently. It is not currently worth my time and effort to reload 9mm and .223/5.56.
    As others have stated, prices are currently really low. That can/will change overnight when the next tragedy or bad election happens.
    For bulk buys, Ammo Jon is your friend.

Last edited:

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Uhhhhggggg. I both love you and hate you at the same time John. That's such a stupidly good deal on 124GN it's pretty much impossible to pass up. Now I gotta go try and find some extra cash :D

Hopefully I’ll have some left when you’re ready :)

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Dont forget electricity for the tumbler. Not worth it to reload 9mm and .223. I just did it to learn the ropes and move on to .45 and .308

I think for some people reloading .223 is worth it, i.e. match ammo and making accurate handloads. But I tend to agree. Homemade plinking .223 components bought in serious bulk is maybe a cent or two (without electricity factored) cheaper than Ammo Jon's bulk.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    I think for some people reloading .223 is worth it, i.e. match ammo and making accurate handloads. But I tend to agree. Homemade plinking .223 components bought in serious bulk is maybe a cent or two (without electricity factored) cheaper than Ammo Jon's bulk.

I load my own service rifle loads as I can better control consistency and I can work up a load which my rifle likes best.

All my plinking ammo I buy from myself :)

JohnC

May 29, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    I load my own service rifle loads as I can better control consistency and I can work up a load which my rifle likes best.

I hear that! My mini-14 is picky as hell so I'm working up some cheap plinking loads that are actually MOA and not "minute of barn door". I like how mini-14's look before anyone tells me I should have bought an AR platform :innocent0

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What John C said .

If you want :
    Load tailored to specific firearms
    A specific bullet , or bullet weight , or specific velocity other than the common generic
    You enjoy experementing on purpose

Than handloading 9x19 or .223 is for you . You won't save meaningful money per se , but you can have ammo to your specifications for about the same price .

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    What John C said .

If you want :
    Load tailored to specific firearms
    A specific bullet , or bullet weight , or specific velocity other than the common generic
    You enjoy experementing on purpose

Than handloading 9x19 or .223 is for you . You won't save meaningful money per se , but you can have ammo to your specifications for about the same price .

You will lose countless hours of your life reloading, even with expensive equipment. For plinking stuff, its best to buy cheap/in bulk and shoot.

If you're chasing accuracy, that's another story.

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    I load 9mm now. Did not do that until I got my CZ Shadow 2 and can’t stop going to the range and blasting away with it. I was buying S&B 124 grain new ammo from SGammo never an issue with 3000+ rounds. But I am loading coated HCL 134 grain bullets for around $100 per thousand. In the end you don’t really save money reloading, you just shoot a whole lot more.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Right there with ya!

Ain't nothing in this world that's free. And nothing that isn't a trade-off. You give up something to get something.

With all of the mention of the time involved with reloading, and yeah no doubt it does indeed take time? What I can't understand is why someone would want the time and the expense and the absolute frustration of shooting ammo that may or may not hit the walls of a barn, from the inside of the barn.

I get the concept of "good enough", and if your thing is to bust full size silhouettes at 100 yards, fine and dandy. Have at it.
    But mightn't you want to try to hit a quarter once in awhile also?

Me, I find both pursuits to be fun and worthwhile. So I want ammo with the no doubt capability of doing either. And yeah "time", but in terms of cash outlay, precision at a blasting ammo price. And when I should find I'm not hitting what I'm shooting at, it is highly likely to be because of me as the Indian, not because I'm throwing minute of moose arrows downrange, with the hope of hitting something now requiring some greater precision.

No right or wrong answer for anyone else. But like chocolate and vanilla, no question in my mind, which answer is the right one for me.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And at Speed3 ; Some people enjoy that as a seperate sub hobby , some people just want to go bang with minimal efforts .

ianmd11

Apr 4, 2017
    Carroll County
    I'd love to know if there are classes in the area you can take to learn from experienced reloaders. Like a reloading 101, but face to face instead of just forums and youtube.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I'd love to know if there are classes in the area you can take to learn from experienced reloaders. Like a reloading 101, but face to face instead of just forums and youtube.

If you want to be a reloader ask a reloader. They are the ones at the range trying to catch every piece of brass that ejects out of your gun :)

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick

A Buddy here in Frederick has offered an informal intro to reloading in the past. He’s who helped me get me started.

If your willing to come to Frederick, I’ll ask him if he’s open to another session

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick

And by, “all my plinking ammo....”. I have plenty of new federal 223 and 556 available for sale. Cases, cash, no credit card transaction trail, no shipping charge.....plenty of privacy and plenty available

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom