• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SolomonsCommune

Tomato Grower
    Mar 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    I had thought about a Taurus to get her started but everyone craps on them nowadays. Dad's PT99 from the 80s is a great gun. Has their quality really fallen that far?

I cant give you a good answer on that. I bought a Taurus 66 .357 2 years ago I've been real happy with, but I've only got 300 rounds through it, so it's still 'new'. I just did paperwork on REAL used .38 spl. S&W model 10 AND an older used Taurus 82 (pretty much a copy of the model 10) today at GymRatz. I forgot to take pics so I dont quite know what year either of them are although the 82 doesnt have a hammer mounted pin so its prob younger than I previously thought.

Back to the OP, I dont own a 22 dbl action revolver but my BIL has a S&W 617 that's a dream to shoot and is 10 rnds. I'd either go that route or a GP 100 .22lr

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    S&W model 18 Combat Masterpiece. I have a couple of those that I let the ladies shoot during the women on target events and they all wanted to know where they could buy them. You can still find them for reasonable prices but the value is climbing.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back @ Bertfish - You can't generalize about Taraus .

My .22WMR had horrendous DA pull , and in my attempts to improve it , it became unreliable before reaching a point of acceptable trigger . Everyone I've seen , and every other person who owned one was similar .

Meanwhile , the M92 family they have perfected , and they are fine pistols .

The steel framed centerfire revolvers of both K frame analog and J frame analog ( of conventional configuration ) are perfectly serviceable , if not quite as smooth or well finished as a S&W .

Our own Chad gave approval to Taraus 1911 as decent budget guns . ( In recent years , their market niche has been squeezed from below, by the various Philippine 1911's having stepped up their QC ) .

The other Taraus's not not mentioned above should be viewed with a skeptical eye .

python

Apr 15, 2010
    A S&W model 17 or 18 will fill your bill. You'll forget the cost once you own and shoot one.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The main thing I regret not finding during my '13 strategy period was a M18 or pre- 18 , but I couldn't find one . Since then I have seen several nice C&R K22s , but still haven't seen a suitable M18 .

cb51

Over the past few months I've been shooting a Ruger LCR in .22 that has impressed the heck out of me. Accurate, reliable and the double action is better than a S&W J frame. Light on the hip you forget it's there.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    The main thing I regret not finding during my '13 strategy period was a M18 or pre- 18 , but I couldn't find one . Since then I have seen several nice C&R K22s , but still haven't seen a suitable M18 .

There was a nice model 18 at the Gettysburg show yesterday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom