• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    There's nothing requiring you to do that at all. Your tax stamp document is between you and the ATF. I keep copies on my phone in case I need them, but that is me being unnecessarily prepared.

Thanks. I guess I was being super vigilant for that one time an ATF agent was waiting to catch me with my .22 can at a range with no papers. I'm letting my BGOS get the best of me.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Thanks. I guess I was being super vigilant for that one time an ATF agent was waiting to catch me with my .22 can at a range with no papers. I'm letting my BGOS get the best of me.
    I think BGOS gets to all of us. Which is why I have unnecessary copies of my ATF paperwork on my phone and in the cloud.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I I have unnecessary copies of my ATF paperwork on my phone and in the cloud.

OMG!!

Now Google and the NSA know what you've got!

But don't panic - you can hide your stuff at my place, they'll never think to look here.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

1) ATF knows if you have a stamp.

2) Law only says you have to produce it. NOT immediately.

YMMV

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Not sure why I would want to do that

BGOS paranoia and panic. Feeble attempt at humor, don't panic. It's probably not too late to explore alternatives, unless a Dem wins in November. Then we'll al[ be moving out of MD.

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    I’m personal friends with LEO for all of DMV. Unless they are self taught, they ‘ll know about 2% of what you know already and half of that will be wrong. Being nice, patient and don’t drop a bag of heroin on the ground when reaching for your wallet will go a long way.

If you are a felon from MD, carrying a backpack containing 2 guns, a baggie of meth and the precursors to make more meth in DC.... don’t skip paying your bus fare.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I’m personal friends with LEO for all of DMV. Unless they are self taught, they ‘ll know about 2% of what you know already and half of that will be wrong. Being nice, patient and don’t drop a bag of heroin on the ground when reaching for your wallet will go a long way.

If you are a felon from MD, carrying a backpack containing 2 guns, a baggie of meth and the precursors to make more meth in DC.... don’t skip paying your bus fare.

This is my experience as well. I have LEO friends and relatives that call me on cell phone to ask law questions when they don't know the specifics.

The most recent involved a handgun transfer at a MSP Barracks. What MSP didn't know and didn't do right was almost funny if it hadn't been criminal

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    I keep a copy with the item less for LE hassle (Ive only been asked on a range when I broke out a SBS 870) and more of a best practice for transport & storage as thats where I’ve seen/heard of trouble/confusion. I keep the originals in my master binder with vehicle titles, will, etc.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Maryland can’t ask to see your stamp. Only ATF.

Nope.

Tax stamp is Federal.

As I posted in post 7, they are illegal in Maryland unless they are registered. It is up to the accused to prove that they are registered. If you won’t show the documents you will likely be arrested and have your weapons confiscated. You will then have a chance to show them to the ASA or judge at court.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    As I posted in post 7, they are illegal in Maryland unless they are registered. It is up to the accused to prove that they are registered. If you won’t show the documents you will likely be arrested and have your weapons confiscated. You will then have a chance to show them to the ASA or judge at court.

Registered no differently than any legally purchased handgun in MD

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Registered no differently than any legally purchased handgun in MD

Or you could be bothered to read the quoted law that I posted. A handgun is not registered with the federal government in accordance with federal law, which is what is required to be proved.

I don’t care what any of you do. It won’t be me putting cuffs on you. But stop posting assumptions as fact that will end someone with a pair of cuffs and a lawyer bill.

It’s not hard. Take a picture of the forms with your phone, carry the originals. I have a copy of my trust and all tax forms in a binder that I throw onto the truck with the NFA toys are with me. You will probably never be asked to show it. I haven’t been. But if you are for some reason and refuse, expect to be arrested.

People keep posting what the feds have to say. It doesn’t matter. What matters is what Maryland law says and if you took the time to read above, you would see like most md gun laws, it’s not in your favor. Most crimes in most places, the state would have to present proof. In this law, in this case, you have to prove you are in compliance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom