• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Now that I've bowed to our overlords and gotten the HQL I'm looking to use it.

Wife loves the Single Six I bought a while back but has recently enquired about a double action 22 with a swing out cylinder. Would be for range use only.

I'd love a K22 but they seem to always cost more than I'm willing to spend. Haven't found any double action 22 revolvers in the C&R age range which I like, maybe something is out there though.

Can anyone make a recommendation from experience?

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Look into a Hi Standard Sentinel. It is C&R, 9 cylinders, and has a 6" barrel. Double action. Oh, and you don't need an HQL.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    My first handgun was a High Standard Double Nine. It was 9 shot, Double action with a swing out cylinder and looked like a single action. Great little gun. I gave it to my Brother years ago and I wish I still had it. They should be C&R

EarnestT

In the hollow
    Aug 18, 2013
    Not in Maryland
    My first handgun was a High Standard Double Nine. It was 9 shot, Double action with a swing out cylinder and looked like a single action. Great little gun. I gave it to my Brother years ago and I wish I still had it. They should be C&R

I have one of those. Neat revolvers!

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD

I like the look of that. Very SAA like

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    The Ruger LCRx in .22 is very nice. Not cheap, but not crazy expensive either.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Ruger sp101 4 inch barrel not c&r
    This^
    I have one, and love it. I shoot steel challenge with it sometimes. It's the same frame as the .357 sp101, so new shooters can "graduate" up to centerfire with something that fits the hand exactly like the 22.
    I have pretty big hands, but can easily and comfortably manipulate the sp101...and so can my little pawed wife.

They ain't cheap...but typical Ruger quality and should last forever.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I have a 1950s smith wesson k 22. It has adjustable sights and a good trigger. Well balanced. Afine revolver. They are not inexpensive but I think they hold their value if you buy right. Probably, a .22 should be capable of good accuracy in double action and single action uses. That requires good sights and action. This gun fits the bill and its a fun shooter. Its also nice to look at. Gun art from 65 years ago. That said, my ruger mark II is an amazing shooter, cot me quite a bit less ( i bought it new so that was a while back) but its not gun art. I have orher .22 revolvers and autos that haven’t left the safe for decades because they are not easy to shoot weel due to their actions or triggers. Both of which count.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Again, not cheap, but......

The Model 17 S&W is a great .22 cal Double Action. More recent version of K22.

It's basically a Model 19 .357 Mag with smaller holes!!!

My '77- '78 time frame Model 17:
    e52a8e3fd4fb6b1f5a3b50cf7608781d.jpg

My '84-'85 time frame Model 19:

7827ff620797f8cae47af4a6d4c282aa.jpg

BTW - in this view, the only way to them apart is the front site.....red insert and sloped on .357....

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    One of my favorite shooters is a 1960s Colt Cobra .22...3" barrel and lightweight. It may not suit everyone but it's a nice piece...great camp and backpacker's gun. A Colt Trooper Mark III is a bit on the heavy side but absolutely first-rate...it's engineered for .357 Magnum so a .22 would outlast several lifetimes of owners.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually the M17 / M18 are the counterparts to the K22/ Combat Masterpiece / M15 .

I'd be abstractly curious to try a rimfire SP101 , but in general , for an Excellent DA trigger pull , you need to bite the $ bullet , and get a S&W . Everything else ranges from really sucks , to only moderately sucks , sufficient to be usable . The K frame S&W rimfires are close to as good as the centerfire counterparts .

( For oversimplified background , for multiple reasons , a rimfire requires much greater " firing pin smack " than a centerfire . This inherently makes for heavier DA triggers .)

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Again, not cheap, but......

The Model 17 S&W is a great .22 cal Double Action. More recent version of K22.

It's basically a Model 19 .357 Mag with smaller holes!!!

My '77- '78 time frame Model 17:
    e52a8e3fd4fb6b1f5a3b50cf7608781d.jpg

My '84-'85 time frame Model 19:

7827ff620797f8cae47af4a6d4c282aa.jpg

BTW - in this view, the only way to them apart is the front site.....red insert and sloped on .357....

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Damn that's a good looking gun. I'll add those to my radar.

I fall in to the cheap gun trap. I'll buy 3 or 4 at $300 then turn my nose up at something $900 one time. Shes not in to the collecting aspect like I am but I'd really rather have something nice.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I knew if I did my evening chores first, someone would beat me to pictures:rolleyes:

My SP101 family, the littlest one included for scale. The frames are all the same, just a matter of barrels.

sp101 family.JPG

Stock fiber optic front sight, adjustable rear, and 8 round capacity. It's small, but manageable for big hands.

sp101open.JPG

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Thought mine was earlier. It’s a 17-2, made in the 60s. Its heavy and that’s okay. As someone pointed out it needs some strength to ignite the rim fire .22s so the double action pull is a tad heavy.

Attachments

• EB01CB06-CD61-44FC-BBAE-FD6114B6F16E.jpg
      EB01CB06-CD61-44FC-BBAE-FD6114B6F16E.jpg
      83.4 KB · Views: 216

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For comparison , my excellent pre- M18 was similar to a slightly better than average centerfire K frame .

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I had a Smith M17, but always felt it was just too massive for a 22 rimfire. For 22cal target shooting their Model 41 is the way to go. Semi-auto, so not relevant to the OP's query.

I enjoy their J-frame kit guns. Model 63, 6-shot in SS, and the Model 43, which has an alloy frame. 4" barrels, small frames, light weight. I wouldn't mind finding either with a 2" barrel, or even the Model 34, the original kit gun in 22cal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom