• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I had a Smith M17, but always felt it was just too massive for a 22 rimfire. For 22cal target shooting their Model 41 is the way to go. Semi-auto, so not relevant to the OP's query.

I enjoy their J-frame kit guns. Model 63, 6-shot in SS, and the Model 43, which has an alloy frame. 4" barrels, small frames, light weight. I wouldn't mind finding either with a 2" barrel, or even the Model 34, the original kit gun in 22cal.

I have a pair of 41s I picked up CHEAP from a friend's dad a while back. But they're NIB.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I have a pair of 41s I picked up CHEAP from a friend's dad a while back. But they're NIB.

Don't you hate that?

I enjoy getting guns in excellent condition, but sometimes I can't bring myself to shoot them much, if at all, because, you know, perfect is the enemy of good.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    In the REALLY not cheap arena, I have a Colt Diamondback in .22. :D

No pics right now.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    She doesn't want one THAT bad :lol2:

I fear I will never want to spend the amount on a single gun to afford any of the snake-series pistols. Lot of cake to tie up in one item.

And you may well be right.

I remember well passing on a Diamondback 22, only because I couldn't get past the price. It was them, and the K-22, and everything else.

That was 40 some years ago.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I am not at home, but I will have to check what I paid for it. I bought it back in about 1999. From Walter's Gun Chamber.

Also where I got my 6" Python. :)

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    And you may well be right.

I remember well passing on a Diamondback 22, only because I couldn't get past the price. It was them, and the K-22, and everything else.

That was 40 some years ago.
    My 17 was a college graduation gift from my parents in 1978. My degree was in Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice, and Dad thought it would be good for "cheap" practice.

BTW - He was correct, my first qualification score was 298/300.

We won't talk about getting my wrist instead of the back of my hand on the left hand barricade and pushing those last two slightly!!!!

I hadn't been with the government long, probably 1984, when I got in a gun related conversation with a co-worker. I was telling him about my 17 and how I would love to have a matching 19 with the same features.

Unbeknownst to me, he had an FFL.....

.....two days later, he hands me an envelope with a proposal inside. My dream Model 19 at a price well below the going rate..... and as they say, the rest is history!!

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I actually bought my S&W 617 4-inch because of the trigger. Light single action break and smooth double action pull. Thousands of rounds (albeit all CCI of some sort) and no misfires as yet. Actually expecting it given that non match grade 22LR sometimes has duds, but lucky thus far. Really fun range toy.
    e3179582ca134c82e940d39fa03dd11c.jpg

cb51

I actually bought my S&W 617 4-inch because of the trigger. Light single action break and smooth double action pull. Thousands of rounds (albeit all CCI of some sort) and no misfires as yet. Actually expecting it given that non match grade 22LR sometimes has duds, but lucky thus far. Really fun range toy.
    e3179582ca134c82e940d39fa03dd11c.jpg

I don't know why, but there just seems to be way way less duds with rimfire revolvers. I've had extremely few with either my Ruger LCR or S&W 63. Both leave very deep dents in the rims, and I think that the external hammer just has more of an impact.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Some folks with a Smith m17 would practice by balancing a coin on the front sight, the game being dry firing without the coin falling off.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Some folks with a Smith m17 would practice by balancing a coin on the front sight, the game being dry firing without the coin falling off.

That is a good exercise with any pistol.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I learned early on about 22 LR revolvers...only betters ones are worthwhile.

I love Rugers but for a double action 22 LR revolver, money for a S&W J-frame 22 LR and 4" barrel is hard to beat. Bought my M63 to practice bowling pin shooting back in the mid 1980's. I also discovered it was handy for a walkabout tucked into my back pocket. A set of Pachmyers fill the hand properly. DA practice will enhance all you shooting. Single action on this revolver is quite usable as well. If I had to limit myself to a small number of handguns, this one would be one of the keepers.

I have a 1948 vintage K-22 Masterpiece that I used it in Small Bore Hunter's Pistol Silhouette open sights for a number of years. It has a very nice single and double action trigger as well and isn't excessively heavy.

Handling other options out there it would be fair to say one would give away nothing buying on of the these two double actions from S&W. And the itch for something "better' would be well scratched.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I had thought about a Taurus to get her started but everyone craps on them nowadays. Dad's PT99 from the 80s is a great gun. Has their quality really fallen that far?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom