• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Its always been a minimum 10 day waiting period from time of purchase from what I understood.

Correct. There is a 10-day “cooling off period” from date of purchase in statute, but you could go to MPD with a receipt showing you purchased the firearm >10 days ago, and for people who had previously registered at least one firearm (meaning you passed their background check), they would turn around the new registration in 20 minutes. Apparently not the case any more, meaning more trips to 300 Indiana NW.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Correct. There is a 10-day “cooling off period” from date of purchase in statute, but you could go to MPD with a receipt showing you purchased the firearm >10 days ago, and for people who had previously registered at least one firearm (meaning you passed their background check), they would turn around the new registration in 20 minutes. Apparently not the case any more, meaning more trips to 300 Indiana NW.

OK so the only thing difference is you have to make 2 trips to see Mr. Sykes instead of 1 since they are taking longer than the 10 days on registrations?

2ndamend

Jan 22, 2020
    OK so the only thing difference is you have to make 2 trips to see Mr. Sykes instead of 1 since they are taking longer than the 10 days on registrations?

According to what I was told by them over the phone yesterday is that now they have up to 60 days to do the registration. But he said it normally takes 2 weeks after your initial day of registering. Again though there is no mandate nor anything online stating this new 60 day policy.

Jan 15, 2020
    The DA ? They don't have a " DA " per se . Would that be the DC AG ? DC Corporation Council ? Or more likely one or more Council Members whispering in the ear of MPD Chief , telling them to drag their feet .

Thanks. I meant AG not DA. He's not exactly a fan of 2A.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC

More than that. Before if transferring through Sykes, you order a a gun online, and 10 days later go to 300 Indiana and get your registration and gun in one trip. Now it seems like this would require multiple trips and much longer than 10 days.

For long guns only a fool or foolishly wealthy would transfer through Sykes. Before you would go to your FFL, do paperwork, go to 300 Indiana to get reg card, then back to your FFL. So now this means 2 trips to 300 Indiana. One to drop off paperwork and one to pick it up, then finally back to your FFL to pick up your firearm.

The City isn’t small and not everyone has access to public transit. Going to 300 Indiana once is enough of an inconvenience.

Looks like by statute they have 60 days (https://code.dccouncil.us/dc/council/code/sections/7-2502.07.html) and have started playing the same game they do with carry permits. Someone clearly told them to start running out the clock, because we known they can turn them around in 20 minutes.

Most FFLs don’t want to hold stuff in their inventory for that long, so that is also going to drive more people to have to use Sykes for long guns, making ownership less affordable.

Hopefully we get something good out of SCOTUS re NY Pistol and SAF can take DC back to the judicial wood shed for this and their other commie ********.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Well this is great news.

Was planning on expanding the collection a decent amount this year and it seems like it will take all year.

Hopefully besides some of the other Supreme Court cases going the right way, Mance v. Barr will be decided the right way too.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Well this is great news.

Was planning on expanding the collection a decent amount this year and it seems like it will take all year.

Hopefully besides some of the other Supreme Court cases going the right way, Mance v. Barr will be decided the right way too.

I’ll be making my purchases in threes (or fives) going forward. Heller II struck down the one every thirty days limit. Kiss my ass commies.

Jan 15, 2020
    More than that. Before if transferring through Sykes, you order a a gun online, and 10 days later go to 300 Indiana and get your registration and gun in one trip. Now it seems like this would require multiple trips and much longer than 10 days.

For long guns only a fool or foolishly wealthy would transfer through Sykes. Before you would go to your FFL, do paperwork, go to 300 Indiana to get reg card, then back to your FFL. So now this means 2 trips to 300 Indiana. One to drop off paperwork and one to pick it up, then finally back to your FFL to pick up your firearm.

The City isn’t small and not everyone has access to public transit. Going to 300 Indiana once is enough of an inconvenience.

Looks like by statute they have 60 days (https://code.dccouncil.us/dc/council/code/sections/7-2502.07.html) and have started playing the same game they do with carry permits. Someone clearly told them to start running out the clock, because we known they can turn them around in 20 minutes.

Most FFLs don’t want to hold stuff in their inventory for that long, so that is also going to drive more people to have to use Sykes for long guns, making ownership less affordable.

Hopefully we get something good out of SCOTUS re NY Pistol and SAF can take DC back to the judicial wood shed for this and their other commie ********.

Glad I saw your post :thumbsup: - I was about to make a purchase online. Anyone know how long area FFLs are willing to hold long guns for DC residents?

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV

BassPro had a shotgun on sale that I liked last year and they would only ship to Mr. Sykes, I tried to explain to them thats for handguns but they wouldnt budge so I didn't purchase.

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    I’ll be making my purchases in threes (or fives) going forward. Heller II struck down the one every thirty days limit. Kiss my ass commies.

Yeah that's my plan now too.

My taking a year comment was mostly in jest but also you know what if you have to wait a month or two for something to be in stock and DC slow walks it -- that can run into 4 months.

Anyway, the great news is Mr Sykes will give you a break on his FFL fees:
    $125 for first pistol
    $65 for each additional
    (per email exchange)

Kanly

Feb 15, 2012
    Washington, DC
    Glad I saw your post :thumbsup: - I was about to make a purchase online. Anyone know how long area FFLs are willing to hold long guns for DC residents?

The place I was going to use requires you to let them know if it will be more than 30 days.

Some other places start charging fees after 30 days.

Definitely something to check into and get squared away before doing any transfer.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC

I usually try to register in multiples.

I have transferred long guns through Atlantic Firearms, United Gun Shop, and MSAR. All three have been very reasonable dealing with the unreasonable DC gun laws so far. I suspect at least one of them will allow an extended stay during the transfer.

2ndamend

Jan 22, 2020

I have transferred long guns through Atlantic Firearms, United Gun Shop, and MSAR. All three have been very reasonable dealing with the unreasonable DC gun laws so far. I suspect at least one of them will allow an extended stay during the transfer.

Has mpd completed your last registration?

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    TBH I have not called them.:o

When I registered they said maybe it will be done on Jan 30th.

When you call, can you ask if they will at least mail it to you? That would at least save the 2nd trip to MPD for long guns. Ugh, this is such ********.

Jan 15, 2020

Contacted United about this.

swamplynx

MDS Supporter
    Jul 28, 2014
    DC
    Excellent news, the response from United Gun Shop:

"We will hold on to it for as long as you need."

:patriot:

Outstanding.

Non sequitur. Would a Thordsen AR build from Blackrain need an HBAR to be both DC and MD compliant? Seems it would, since a Blackrain lower is banned and since a lack of “evil features” (i.e. a pistol grip) doesn’t necessarily make the rifle not banned in MD (though it would be GTG in DC). On the other hand an Ares SCR is good to go in both, since the lower is a fully custom non-copycat and it doesn't have any evil features (but I already have one of those). Am I thinking about this correctly?

Last edited:
    Jan 15, 2020
    Outstanding.

Non sequitur. Would a Thordsen AR build from Blackrain need an HBAR to be both DC and MD compliant? Seems it would, since a Blackrain lower is banned and since a lack of “evil features” (i.e. a pistol grip) doesn’t necessarily make the rifle not banned. On the other hand an Ares SCR is good to go, since the lower is a fully custom non-copycat. Am I thinking about this correctly?

As long as it doesn't have a threaded barrel. Email LT Hall with the spec sheet and he'll let you know if you can register.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom