• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    We had a wind storm Thanksgiving morning and one of our trees took out our power line. There was a major power surge, and my wife's computer got fried. It won't turn on, so we don't know how bad it is. We need someone we trust to try to pull the files off of it and put on to the new computer. Anyone able to take a look at it?

We're located in Mt Airy

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    If a desktop you should be able to just pull the hard drive and place it in one of the slots in the desktop. My “tower” has slots for extra drives, CD ROM, or others. Good luck. Worst case you can check at Best Buy with Geeksquad.

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    I would start by trying a new power supply, almost all current power supplies should take the beating and save the rest of the components, if the shock came through the Ethernet, well the router would be dead first. I would assume desktop, but a power supply for a typical computer will run you 40 bucks

Can't make any promises but hard drive into different computer is simple... Just turn the new computer off before you plug in connector and power to the HDD.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

fd318

Mar 22, 2010
    Upper Fells Point
    Well, happy T-Day for you. If you feel like coming over to Fells Point in Baltimore one evening, I'll take a look at the computer. I might be able to fix it. Well, unless it's like 5+ years old. Then you should probably should just get a new one regardless. I can data extract and put it on a thumb drive, another HD, external HD, or I can upload the files somewhere. I have unlimited google drive, but it's up to you if you want your files on where. Amazon has some ridiculously cheap thumb drives/SD cards. Safecracker on here helped me out before. So I consider this paying it forward as payment. But I'm realistic, and won't be hurt if you wanted to go somewhere safer with easier parking. ;) lol.

DontTreadOnMe

Dec 10, 2016
    Lost a laptop power brick to a surge a few years ago; my fault for not having the laptop plugged into a surge protector. After that I had a whole-house surge protector installed.

Good luck with pulling your files.

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    I had a laptop I thought I fried. In desparation tried the following. Mine had a battery you couldnt get to but did it anyway. I held it for 2 minutes.

Unplug your computer’s power supply and remove its battery. Hold the power button down with your finger for at least 30 seconds, but you can also hold it for more, if you’d like. Two minutes is probably more than enough and five minutes is definitely more than enough. This will clear out any stored charge in your computer.

Release the power button, and plug your computer’s power supply back in (assuming that you know the power supply works). You don’t need the battery yet. Wait a minute or so, then hold down the power button to turn it on.

Anotherpyr

Ultimate Member
    We had a wind storm Thanksgiving morning and one of our trees took out our power line. There was a major power surge, and my wife's computer got fried. It won't turn on, so we don't know how bad it is. We need someone we trust to try to pull the files off of it and put on to the new computer. Anyone able to take a look at it?

We're located in Mt Airy

As pointed out, if it’s a desktop to desktop you can probably just pull the drive and put it in a spare slot in the new one. If it’s a laptop or NUC, you’ll need a SATA docking station.

I have a spare docking station I can lend if needed. The only issue is today is pretty much full for me.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    If you are still in need of assistance, I am located in Laurel and can recover files from your hard drive if not able to repair the computer. In most cases after a surge as you describe, the power supply may be damaged or blow an internal fuse. In some cases, you can remove the power supply, remove the cover and replace the glass cartridge fuse/fuses and the computer will function normally. If you do this, be certain to use the correct fuse! Just because it fits, does not mean the voltage and amperage ratings are correct. Match the original fuse, EXACTLY!

BlueFin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2007
    Montgomery Village
    If you know anybody close by with an All in one HDD docking, this can help.
    Remove the HD from your bad computer and pop this into the HDD Docking. Connect the USB end to your new computer and access this just like an external HD. I got mine for around $12 a couple of years back. This come with all sort of connections. Just pray the HD itself is still good. Good luck

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    If this isn't your area of (more or less) expertise, be careful. Depending on what the old computer was up to when the failure happened, the file system on that hard drive could be wonky. If you attach it to an external SATA widget so you can USB-connect it to your laptop, you have to very careful. You want to make sure that the laptop can mount the drive as-is, and doesn't do something crazy like say, "hey - you just attached new hardware, but the files can't be read - would you like to format this drive so it can be used?" etc. Some steps can be destructive, so you have to tread carefully. With reasonable luck, the laptop should just see the mounted drive and show it to you as drive E: (or whatever), and allow you to copy data from it.

This, by the way, is an EXCELLENT case study in why you should already have been making regular backups physically separate from the computer, so that when disaster strikes, all those files are nice and intact in more than one easily accessible place. If you are able to retrieve your data, great! But DO NOT STOP THERE. It's time to get a NAS drive or any of several other approaches to getting that laptop backed up, and backed up regularly. Because it's not a question of if it will happen again, but when.

kdmag88

Jan 10, 2018
    As long as the hard drive isn't corrupted. Pull it out and use the cable I link to to plug it into the usb of another computer. If the old computer isn't worth saving you can also use this cable and the hard drive as a big usb stick to store your data on. Also, when prompted, DO NOT FORMAT!

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Cabl...87&hvtargid=aud-829758849484:pla-822333677936

edit- I see the old computer was a desktop, which is prob a 3.5 HDD. if this is the case you may need this style adapter with an standalone powersource

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JGT17B...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy

This, by the way, is an EXCELLENT case study in why you should already have been making regular backups physically separate from the computer, so that when disaster strikes, all those files are nice and intact in more than one easily accessible place. If you are able to retrieve your data, great! But DO NOT STOP THERE. It's time to get a NAS drive or any of several other approaches to getting that laptop backed up, and backed up regularly. Because it's not a question of if it will happen again, but when.

She does have a backup drive, but hadn't done it since last December. We both have drives, but neither do it monthly like we should.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    She does have a backup drive, but hadn't done it since last December. We both have drives, but neither do it monthly like we should.

There are freeware programs on the Interwebs that will do that for you automagically in the background. I would strongly advise getting and installing one on each of your machines. :D

Sampson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 24, 2013
    White Marsh
    If you know anybody close by with an All in one HDD docking, this can help.
    Remove the HD from your bad computer and pop this into the HDD Docking. Connect the USB end to your new computer and access this just like an external HD. I got mine for around $12 a couple of years back. This come with all sort of connections. Just pray the HD itself is still good. Good luck

X2 for this. Easy to use for the novice.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Hey did you have any help yet? I am here in Monkey County and I would be able to give you a hand. I am running a system with 5 1 Tara byte hard drivers on my desktop and still have room for a couple more as well. Shoot me a PM and let me know if you still need the help. You can ask Stoveman and couple others here that yes I am trustworthy and honest plus discreet as well. MCDoug

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Desktop computer fried, new comp is a laptop. Is there an easy way to move it over?

Yuo can do it yourself, don't really need anyone unless files are corrupt.
    Buy yourself a docking station to where you can just drop the drive in,
    move / copy your data off or clone another drive. Just remove the drive
    from the desktop, drop it in the docking station, connect it via USB, turn
    it on, should show on drives, (providing it powers up) copy / move = done
    buy an external case to put drive in or use the bare drive as it is.
    Look here:
    https://www.newegg.com/Hard-Drive-Enclosures/SubCategory/ID-92

There are other options like these:
    https://www.newegg.com/p/2S7-01PM-01BW6
    https://www.newegg.com/p/35G-00A0-00016

You mentioned desktop so therefore assuming the hard drive is 3.5"
    size, sata interface, these will work.

Have used the docking station types for both 2.5" and 3.5 hard drives
    both the Wavlink 2 drive setup, Thermalake versions both work great,
    cloned 2.5" drives, 3.5" drives, recovered files, etc. Recently recovered
    4TB Seagate that took a dump after 2 months of use using the Wavlink
    setup, takes times to do a "deep scan", luckly had the drive partitioned in
    4 separate drives. Didn't have it attached to NAS .As far as software there
    are several out there some free some $$$$, if you were closer I would
    recover what you need to get off it, or clone it to another drive (if possible)
    have 2 2TB bare drives if needed as long as the drive comes up and electronics
    aren't fried should be okay.
    Built many a PC, have TB's of storage, removable / fixed / portable
    Does the Laptop have a optical drive? Could let you use one of my
    docking stations
    Be forewarned DO NOT FORMAT or RE-PARTITION the drive, if the software
    won't "see" the drive there is a reason, partition issues, Fat32 (if used) GPT,
    etc.If it powers up, the platters / heads didn't crash, no grinding noise,
    and lastly the electronics aren't toast, it "should be" easy.

Let me know..

-Rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom