MD/DE/PA based gunsmith for chamber work?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I have a older Remington 700LA action and a Bartlein barrel blank, but am having trouble locating a gunsmith that can thread/chamber and crown the barrel with a lead time in single digit months, not years. (One smith I've used in the past has a 3 year lead time.) This is a simple job, 6.5 Creedmore with a standard neck, no muzzle threading/brake, no action trueing, but the chambering must be done to competition/benchrest standards. I will pillar/epoxy bed the action and barrel.

I would prefer a MD/DE/PA based smith, but would ship out if necessary. Has anyone had this type of work done recently that they are very pleased with from a smith with a reasonable lead time? If so, I would appreciate a reference.

If you are a MD/PA/DE based gunsmith and do this kind of work on a regular basis, please feel free to PM me. Thank you.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I have a older Remington 700LA action and a Bartlein barrel blank, but am having trouble locating a gunsmith that can thread/chamber and crown the barrel with a lead time in single digit months, not years. (One smith I've used in the past has a 3 year lead time.) This is a simple job, 6.5 Creedmore with a standard neck, no muzzle threading/brake, no action trueing, but the chambering must be done to competition/benchrest standards. I will pillar/epoxy bed the action and barrel.

I would prefer a MD/DE/PA based smith, but would ship out if necessary. Has anyone had this type of work done recently that they are very pleased with from a smith with a reasonable lead time? If so, I would appreciate a reference.

If you are a MD/PA/DE based gunsmith and do this kind of work on a regular basis, please feel free to PM me. Thank you.

Did you try Benchtop Gunsmithing in Port Deposit?http://benchtopgunsmithing.com

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Ed "Doc" Harren. Harren's Custom Rifles in Ijamsville Maryland 301 831 8068. He's by appointment only and will give you an honest, no-shit, lead time assessment when you talk to him. As long as you have all your parts, he is usually in the 90 days or less range unless it's multi-step or very exotic work. If it is just a metalwork job, and you are handling your own stockwork, I doubt he will take more than 90 days. The metalwork he has done for me has all been on point. I know several people who shoot his work and more than one regularly wins precision rifle events. His main game is benchrest but he builds varmint, tactical, hunting, and other rigs as requested. I believe he has at least one 6.5 Creedmoor reamer in inventory but you would have to confirm that with him (I don't own a creedmoor and don't really plan to, so I never asked if the ones he chambered were with his reamers or customer reamers).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Two places I have used that do great work and very quick turn around are:

Short Action Customs in Ohio

Long Rifles, Inc, in Stugis, SD.

Both were a week door to door.

SAC threaded a Rem 700 for muzzle brake, timed it, and Cerakoted it.

LRI did a Lilja CZ455 barrel. Threaded, made a thread protector (that you cannot tell there is one), and Cerakoted.

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    Doc is great and I am one a third build with him. Also don't be afraid of LRI, I have send some rifles there and been happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom