• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    Used this bad boy to cut my wedding cake (bottom one, the Bowie)

Attachments

• A40E6C02-2A00-4C77-9650-4C1CD2020195.jpg
      A40E6C02-2A00-4C77-9650-4C1CD2020195.jpg
      73.3 KB · Views: 468

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    We’ll this is the first knife I’ve made. Started about 1yr ago as a Christmas present for my son. I’m finally finished.

b341e00c5a6f0e7335422764a43ebb75.jpg

He already saw it last Christmas unfinished so I know he’s really going to like it. It’s the kind of gift that I hope last years after I’m long gone.

I learned a lot along the way. I chose a 1/4” thick billet which took forever to grind and it’s way too heavy for slicing. It turned out to be a great chopping knife.

I dragged my feet on finishing it for a long time because I really didn’t know how to finish the scales. My initial plan was to have two Nickel Brass bolsters and rear Quillion but I messed up cutting the blank. I didn’t drill the holes for the bolster pins in the right place before it was sent to be hardened. When I tried to drill them again after it was hardened I burned up 3 bits trying to make one hole!

I’m going to make another one soon.

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    “soon”. Hahahaha !

Sorry, couldn’t resist. Great work. You need a grinder to shape wenge. I don’t like working it, but your knife looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Just found this for $7

Good deal?
    Appears to be brand new and has cosmoline here and there and is hard to close

Attachments

• 97F9A33A-8B42-40C7-AD13-B12867F715C5.jpg
      97F9A33A-8B42-40C7-AD13-B12867F715C5.jpg
      49.9 KB · Views: 311
    • BE8F2959-39B2-478F-AB7B-F4B30FF5A8A4.jpg
      BE8F2959-39B2-478F-AB7B-F4B30FF5A8A4.jpg
      122.2 KB · Views: 295

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    “soon”. Hahahaha !

Sorry, couldn’t resist. Great work. You need a grinder to shape wenge. I don’t like working it, but your knife looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks.

Yes its pretty hard. Today was not too cold and it was breezy so I brought my belt 2x72 and my harbor freight 1x30 outside on the patio and finished it off. I made quick work of it. It was nicer than working in the basement under crappy light wearing a dust mask.

Also I like how just finishing with 1000 grit the wood really takes on a nice gloss.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I had one of those when I was in the 8th grade, back in ‘74. Mine had a black handle.

I think I paid $12 for it.

I see these on flea bay for 59.99 to 95 so I rekon I did ok

I had one similar in the 60’s but it was a china knockoff switchblade, this seems to be Italian and pretty old and it’s not an automatic

It is what it is, my breakfast cost 4 times what I paid for it this morning lol

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    Thanks.

Yes its pretty hard. Today was not too cold and it was breezy so I brought my belt 2x72 and my harbor freight 1x30 outside on the patio and finished it off. I made quick work of it. It was nicer than working in the basement under crappy light wearing a dust mask.

Also I like how just finishing with 1000 grit the wood really takes on a nice gloss.

I use Zirconium green belts from Supergrit for shaping handle materials. Use it at a low speed if your 2x72 has a vfd. Those belts last a long time. Knife looks great. Get a good respirator you won't regret it.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    It’s German. Rostfrei is the giveaway

As I read it Rostfrei is a German word meaning rust free and stamped on knives made all over Europe, this knife is marked Italy and many I see on the net are also

Anyway it’s growing on me, not for edc mind you, there are probably 50 in the que ahead of it in the safe l

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    As I read it Rostfrei is a German word meaning rust free and stamped on knives made all over Europe, this knife is marked Italy and many I see on the net are also

Anyway it’s growing on me, not for edc mind you, there are probably 50 in the que ahead of it in the safe l
    Cant carry a switch blade in MD.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Cant carry a switch blade in MD.

As I said several times it’s not an automatic

I have plenty of automatics, mostly otf models

And you can’t conceal carry a switchblade in md if I am not mistaken or carry it with the “intention “ of doing something stupid

Anyway, again, it’s not an automatic, but it’s a nice knife

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Just found this for $7

Good deal?
    Appears to be brand new and has cosmoline here and there and is hard to close

I had several like that eons back. The lock bar was made of soft metal and I had to keep bending it back into shape. I think they were like $10 or so back then. I remember when the Midwest Knife Co from PA used to advertise in Family Circle and other grocery store magazine.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    We’ll this is the first knife I’ve made. Started about 1yr ago as a Christmas present for my son. I’m finally finished.

b341e00c5a6f0e7335422764a43ebb75.jpg

He already saw it last Christmas unfinished so I know he’s really going to like it. It’s the kind of gift that I hope last years after I’m long gone.

I learned a lot along the way. I chose a 1/4” thick billet which took forever to grind and it’s way too heavy for slicing. It turned out to be a great chopping knife.

I dragged my feet on finishing it for a long time because I really didn’t know how to finish the scales. My initial plan was to have two Nickel Brass bolsters and rear Quillion but I messed up cutting the blank. I didn’t drill the holes for the bolster pins in the right place before it was sent to be hardened. When I tried to drill them again after it was hardened I burned up 3 bits trying to make one hole!

I’m going to make another one soon.

What material? Did you grind it completely hardened or did you anneal then reharden when you were done? I'm desperate to try my hand at a knife but I dont want to invest in a forge etc at first. Just want to work on some stock removal blades and see how I fare

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    What material? Did you grind it completely hardened or did you anneal then reharden when you were done? I'm desperate to try my hand at a knife but I dont want to invest in a forge etc at first. Just want to work on some stock removal blades and see how I fare

Best advice I ever got was to buy 1084 stock from Aldo Bruno in Jersey and start stock removal. Grind on an annealed piece, if you’re starting out at stock removal you could ruin the temper on an already hardened knife very easily. Besides annealed blades will save you money on belts and make it easier to grind.

1084 is very easy to treat without high dollar temperature equipment and it makes a great knife. You could either heat treat it yourself or do what I did when I started and ship it to someone like Peters heat treating service. Then finish it and see if you want to keep investing in it.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

I purchased a 12x2x1/4 billet 440C stainless. I ground the shape and tapered the blade except the edge before sending it to Texas Knife Supply to be hardened and cryo treated. Then I finished the final shaping and edge grinding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom