• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    -Three years ago I found a sweet Winchester 1907 semi-auto rifle and made the decision to add the Model 1903 that it's based on to my bucket list. After looking at hundreds of examples I settled on this particular example. It's not the prettiest but I fell in love with the honest condition. The low 4 digit SN puts production squarely in the first year: 1903.
    -The TC Johnson designed Model 1903 is chambered in a proprietary cartridge: .22 Winchester Automatic Rim Fire. At a time when .22 RF was using action clogging black powder the smokeless powdered .22 Win Auto guaranteed proper operation. Later, after .22 RF went smokeless as well, Winchester stopped production of the 1903 in the early 30's. It was replaced by the new Model 63, chambered in .22 RF. These days you can still find new .22 Win Auto ammo though it's not cheap at around $18 per box of 50 rounds.
    -The Model 1903 was such a success as Winchester's first commercial semi auto rifle that it spawned a series of center fire carbines in the Models 1905, 1907 and 1910. The slick sided action, using a cocking plunger mounted under the barrel, made for perfect scabbard carry. Ultimately there were two versions sold: standard and deluxe. The deluxe version sported different grades of fancy wood with checkering available in straight or semi-pistol grip configurations. Engraving was also offered as a deluxe option.
    -This very early example doesn't sport the cross-bolt safety added at around SN 5000. It also has an after-market Marbles front and rear sight. I found a vintage Marbles tang sight for it which is in-bound to me.
    -The 10 round tube magazine is loaded by withdrawing the magazine tube rod and dropping rounds in through the magazine tube cutout in the right side of the stock. Push on the action cocking rod and Bob's your uncle.
    -This rifle has a take-down feature allowing you to pack it away for tidy transit.

Attachments

• IMGP8922.JPG
      IMGP8922.JPG
      16.9 KB · Views: 357
    • IMGP8923.JPG
      IMGP8923.JPG
      38.3 KB · Views: 333
    • IMGP8924.JPG
      IMGP8924.JPG
      22.8 KB · Views: 355
    • IMGP8926.JPG
      IMGP8926.JPG
      34.8 KB · Views: 353
    • IMGP8927.JPG
      IMGP8927.JPG
      26.2 KB · Views: 329
    • IMGP8928.JPG
      IMGP8928.JPG
      51.6 KB · Views: 333
    • IMGP8930.JPG
      IMGP8930.JPG
      30.7 KB · Views: 344

WatTyler

Ultimate Member
    Winning! My Dad had one - early like yours - and he taught me to shoot with it. A lot of boys learned to shoot with it, because it's not as shiny as yours. I still get to visit it from time to time. Still tight and shoots fine after a century or so.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    nice,
    Its very interesting how back then, the way they used the word "Automatic". Now a days we'd call it Semi Auto Like the Iver Johnson Safety Automatic. Its one shot per pull of trigger, we would call it Double Action.

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    Very nice!
    I have a model 1905 in 35WSL that was the wife's grandfathers, it looks great until you look down the bore :sad20:
    I have everything but brass to reload for it, that's next.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Tang sight and screws arrived today. Waiting on aperture disc and sight dovetail blank. We'll see if the front sight will have to change.

Attachments

• IMGP8931.JPG
      IMGP8931.JPG
      42.7 KB · Views: 201
    • IMGP8935.JPG
      IMGP8935.JPG
      29.2 KB · Views: 217

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members