• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Hey folks,

So, a relative of mine has an old fiberglass recurve that's probably about 50 years old at this time. It hasn't been strung in a long time, so I'm wondering if it's safe to even try? From what I can tell, both limbs are fiberglass with a rubberized handle in the middle. Not sure of the poundage, but I believe it was in the 40-45# range.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    Part of my job is fiberglass repairs to propeller blades. Our paperwork for repairs, and any maintenance, requires lot numbers and expiration dates of materials (chemicals) and calibration dates of tooling. With that said, I’ve never seen expiration dates for fiberglass. I’d be more concerned with the resin (glue) that was used to soak and adhere the fiberglass together. However, any expiration date on the resin is before it’s mixed (two part type) and cured. But the older it gets, some resins have a tendency of becoming brittle depending on the type and what atmospheric conditions it’s been exposed to.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Part of my job is fiberglass repairs to propeller blades. Our paperwork for repairs, and any maintenance, requires lot numbers and expiration dates of materials (chemicals) and calibration dates of tooling. With that said, I’ve never seen expiration dates for fiberglass. I’d be more concerned with the resin (glue) that was used to soak and adhere the fiberglass together. However, any expiration date on the resin is before it’s mixed (two part type) and cured. But the older it gets, some resins have a tendency of becoming brittle depending on the type and what atmospheric conditions it’s been exposed to.

Shelf life was probably the wrong term to use, apologies; I'm just worried it's gonna snap if I string it. :P The limbs still seem pretty solid? It's just been in a closet, indoors, as far as I know.

Ski169

May 28, 2012
    I’d suspect it’s good. But it will depend on the resin. Bows are not my specialty but it would make sense that there’s more than just fiberglass and glue. The limbs more than likely have a core that support the draw weight. I’d try it.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I think you will be GTG. After your first session of shooting it take a dry cotton ball and run it over the limbs, it will instantly let you know if anything is starting to let go. The cotton fibers will snag in any little unseen cracks. It might be a good idea to do it before you shoot it too, just in case.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Hopefully, it did not warp and develop a twist to it over time.

My favorite bow was a Bear Black bear and a guy let the lower limb warp. I bought it for $5 as he thought it was ruined. I would string it for days and twist it back day and night and then rest it a few day. Several times and it got it straight and killed my first deer with it.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Sorry, I forgot to update. I ended up taking the larger of the two out for a test a couple months ago, and everything went pretty well. I haven't noticed any cracks or flaking or anything—no twist, either—so I assume it's all right? They're both pretty tiny compared to my 45 lb takedown, so it was a bit awkward to switch to something so small, but I figure they'll be great for training the niece and nephew in a few years.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Lots of little general aviation airplanes that are multiple decades old (well past what they were intended to last) now still bouncing down the runways on their fiberglass landing gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom