• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    i really cannot believe all the gun nuts on this forum aren't doing competitive action shooting. it is SOOOOOO much better than going to a static range and punching paper. it's not force on force training by any stretch, but a great chance to get some knowledge, experience and confidence running your guns under a little stress that may come in handy should a bad situation arise. i do a boring static range to sight in a new gun and other than that it's all competition shooting for me.

I'm new to all of this since last year, but I can tell you I'm already bored of square/flat ranges.

I'd love to try this kind of action shooting. I understand you need an approved pistol, an acceptable holster, a belt, and a number of mag pouches? It's just daunting to get started, knowing nothing, and having no gear to even try.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'm new to all of this since last year, but I can tell you I'm already bored of square/flat ranges.

I'd love to try this kind of action shooting. I understand you need an approved pistol, an acceptable holster, a belt, and a number of mag pouches? It's just daunting to get started, knowing nothing, and having no gear to even try.

No approved pistol required. You can shoot just about any pistol, but you might end up in a class where you are REALLY outclassed.

An acceptable holster is not hard. And for your first match or two, almost any SAFE holster would be allowed. Decent legal holsters are $60 or so.

You can borrow mag pouches at the match, but would be good to have a couple.

Or, here you go IDPA (which is typically USPSA legal also) complete setup for $90. http://shop.blade-tech.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_130&products_id=6846

Bottom line, for your first few matches, all that they want is for you to be safe and have fun. Once you get into it, you can get the proper gear to be "legal." Reality is, you are not going to be very competitive the first few times, so most others won't care if you meet every letter of the rules.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    i really cannot believe all the gun nuts on this forum aren't doing competitive action shooting. it is SOOOOOO much better than going to a static range and punching paper. it's not force on force training by any stretch, but a great chance to get some knowledge, experience and confidence running your guns under a little stress that may come in handy should a bad situation arise. i do a boring static range to sight in a new gun and other than that it's all competition shooting for me.

But what if the paper has a zombie on it or something scary? :innocent0

Of course I agree but it's hard to get out to these locations for some folks. I'm nearly in DC (Commie town Bethesda), so the drive is probably lengthy to matches.

Will look into it more though.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    Two things..

- Shooting matches is fun and easy to get into. I'd almost recommend not buying a bunch of crap until you get out there and see how it works. Each style (IDPA, 3 gun, Steel Challenge, USPSA) all require different rigs. Get a decent holster and a mag pouch if you can, but I've seen people start by sticking mags in their pockets. It's really easy to get started and is more addictive than cigarettes. After your first match you will now stay up late looking at all kinds of gear you don't need :) Trust me just get out and shoot!!!

- Like shooting cool matches?? Get used to long drives.

Hope to see some of you guys at PNTC!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Of course I agree but it's hard to get out to these locations for some folks. I'm nearly in DC (Commie town Bethesda), so the drive is probably lengthy to matches.

maybe not in your backyard, but there's stuff around. thurmont near frederick has idpa and uspsa on weekends and one weekday/month. peacemaker near inwood below martinsburg has a ton of matches of all sorts. summit point (walnutridge) near charles town should be starting back up around march. york has good matches. never been to sanners but i think it's around annapolis. again, just scroll thru the Competition forum and you'll see a bunch of matches all over the place.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    maybe not in your backyard, but there's stuff around. thurmont near frederick has idpa and uspsa on weekends and one weekday/month. peacemaker near inwood below martinsburg has a ton of matches of all sorts. summit point (walnutridge) near charles town should be starting back up around march. york has good matches. never been to sanners but i think it's around annapolis. again, just scroll thru the Competition forum and you'll see a bunch of matches all over the place.

I shoot at the NRA range all the time and they have USPSA activity there. It's a little better than static targets but it'll obviously be limited (ie not 360 degrees, smaller courses, etc.). The point is to get outdoors and shoot in a more realistic/unpredictable way.

I think I'll do them this winter and make my way out to Thurmond (40 miles) next spring/summer to do IDPA.

sykesville

Ultimate Member

It appears MD sucks for this. What about central Maryland? I'd love to do stuff like this but can't drive 2-3 hrs each way to do it. I mean, I could, but it would get old quick and I'd lose interest, like most folks.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    If anyone is on the eastern shore, suddlersville has USPSA. And Bridgeville has IDPA. And there is another IDPA just over the VA line.

Point 357

Jan 20, 2014
    Lexington Park, Md
    Great and inspiring video!

I live so close to Sanners Lake Sportsman club that I can hear the live firing. I want to learn about and compete in these compititions but I have some reservations since I have a physical handicap that affects my mobility. I am slow and clumsy on my feet and am unable to run but I am not yet in a wheelchair. Is there a compitition class for handicapped handgun shooters?

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009

I live so close to Sanners Lake Sportsman club that I can hear the live firing. I want to learn about and compete in these compititions but I have some reservations since I have a physical handicap that affects my mobility. I am slow and clumsy on my feet and am unable to run but I am not yet in a wheelchair. Is there a compitition class for handicapped handgun shooters?

There are some rules for handicapped people, I don't know the rule book well enough. I have shot IDPA with a old lady who needed a walker to get around. I've herd of people shooting in wheel chairs, but haven't seen it 1st hand. Another thing to look into is steel challenge, sanners has a steel match coming up and the are a lot of fun. The don't require any movement. You will find everyone is very helpful at any match you go to.

Check this guy out,
    https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=351473391697873&set=vb.309539285891284&type=2&theater

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    so the drive is probably lengthy to matches.

Do it, it is worth it.

When I shot USPSA on a regular basis there were only a couple of matches in MD> So we drove to Fredericksburg and Quantico every month (on separate weekends). And I live in Harford County. :)

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Wow this look likes fun, but super fast moving! I need to shoot my pistol much more before I even attempt to shoot something along these lines.

Maybe by mid summer, I would be ready?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Wow this look likes fun, but super fast moving! I need to shoot my pistol much more before I even attempt to shoot something along these lines.

Maybe by mid summer, I would be ready?

the sooner you start doing this stuff, the sooner you start getting better. you really can't practice for this on a square/static range. if you want to practice a little, holster up your unloaded handgun and draw and fire at "targets" while running around your house, while practicing mag changes, with empty mags of course.

you of course need basic/sound accuracy skills, as if you're not reasonably accurate standing still chances are you will be less accurate on the move (or with moving targets). you always want your muzzle generally pointed downrange, including while reloading, and your finger visibly outside the trigger guard when not actually shooting (so while running, reloading, clearing a jam, etc).

I do most all of the peacemaker handgun, 2 and 3 gun matches, and others around the va/md/wv/pa area. if you or anyone else here wants someone to help them thru their first match, I'm happy to do so. there are a handful of total newbies each match so you won't be alone.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA

as noted above, steel challenge would be fun for you; little to no moving but still blasting steel on the clock. monocacy and others have falling steel matches that are shot stationary.

at the peacemaker 3 gun last weekend we had one guy who I guess had bad knees and/or hips and he just slowly walked the courses of fire but looked like he was having fun but of course scored way down the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom