• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Point 357

Jan 20, 2014
    Lexington Park, Md
    Hi guys,
    I'm contemplating the purchase of a S&W model 5905. It is being represented to be in as new in the box condition and from the many pics It looks to be just that. The Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson offers very little info except that this model was only manufactured in 1991. I'd like to have this one but the price seems very high at $750.00 plus shipping. How crazy would I be to pay that much for an unusual example that will be complete with its serialized box? Opinions please.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Hi guys,
    I'm contemplating the purchase of a S&W model 5905. It is being represented to be in as new in the box condition and from the many pics It looks to be just that. The Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson offers very little info except that this model was only manufactured in 1991. I'd like to have this one but the price seems very high at $750.00 plus shipping. How crazy would I be to pay that much for an unusual example that will be complete with its serialized box? Opinions please.

NIB for that pistol is hard to find. I don't think $750 is too much if you collect smith semi-autos and are going to add this to a collection. For a shooter, just get a modern pistol.

Point 357

Jan 20, 2014
    Lexington Park, Md
    Thanks for the input. I really like this example of a hard to find model, I just wish that I could find definitive information about why the production run was so short. From what I can gather it is identical to the model 5906 that was produced for ten years with exception of the metallurgy. And I like my 5906 alot!

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I concur. For a collector's gun, $750 isn't bad. Look at what Colt 1911 pistols are selling for these days, and the S&Ws are generally better guns. The first autos Smith made were dreadful. People would say they make great revolvers, but stay away from their autos. The 659/5906 is still my favorite 9mm, but steel is getting to be very expensive these days. It won't be too long before steel guns top a grand per pop. (I have a mint Beretta 70S .22LR that I had hard chromed. It has flat grips, is gorgeous and my only problem with it is that people keep trying to buy it from me! It has less than 500 rounds thru it, is all steel and it's a gem. So if you like the 5905 and you decide to get it, please post photos!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom