• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Damastah

Dec 14, 2018
    I’m looking at buying a handgun online and have it go to United. The problem is it comes with several mags with a capacity greater than 10 rounds.

I don’t want to pay for the handgun and mags if I only get the handgun.

What have you guys done to get the mags? Do you just go to VA and buy extra mags. Or can you have the seller ship the mags to VA and the gun to United?

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    You can not purchase the the pistol out of state so you can not receive the normal capacity magazines that came with the pistol in MD. If they come with the firearm the dealer disposes of them before you are given the pistol. Most try to get 10 round mags with the firearms they sell so they can give you something for your money.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Based on a stern letter from the MSP, no MD dealer is going to accept those mags and then ship them to you via an out of state address. They might keep the mags and sell them online to someone else, but you’d have to work that out. If they sense you’re trying to get around the transfer ban, they will refuse the deal. You’re better off finding a source for the same gun minus the mags, and head to PA or VA for a completely separate transaction.

And keep in mind we may very well find ourselves with a >10 possession ban in MD, a la NJ. So even if you buy the standard mags by other means, you may want some 10 rounders for use at ranges where scrutiny could happen. Hope it doesn’t come to that, but this is MD.

Damastah

Dec 14, 2018
    Yeah. What happened in NJ is terrible. I hope it doesn’t come to that here in MD. But there is nothing more fun than to unload a full 20 round magazine.

And I know that the MD dealer can’t sell me the mag. But the seller in another state selling to me. can they send me the mag to a VA address separately? I don’t see any laws against that.

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    Yeah. What happened in NJ is terrible. I hope it doesn’t come to that here in MD. But there is nothing more fun than to unload a full 20 round magazine.

And I know that the MD dealer can’t sell me the mag. But the seller in another state selling to me. can they send me the mag to a VA address separately? I don’t see any laws against that.

So most online retailers will not split the handgun and mag making it the receiving FFL's problem. The MD receiving FFL (per MD State bulletin) is not supposed to send the mags out of state for you to retrieve. If the entire transaction occurs outside of MD and you receive the mags outside of the state, then that's legit. Most FFL's don't want to play any games and the net result of these laws is that we pay more for things.

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    Find a ffl that will do a mag block.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. We were talking about this issue at work the other day and someone said to find a dealer that will do a mag block. I've havn't had this issue so I don't really know the ins and outs of doing it.

Damastah

Dec 14, 2018
    I have not thought of the mag block. I will look more into it.

What handgun are you interested in?

You’re not going to like it haha.
    But believe it or not. I am getting the Canik TP9SFx. I have shot many handguns. And out of the box. I think it’s the best handgun for the money.

Canik has really cleaned up their act and have turned into a very reliable company producing a great quality product.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    You can also buy the handgun out of state, take the mags home with you and have the dealer mail to a MD FFL.

Same cost as buying from an online retailer, but you get to keep your mags. Maybe have to pay for postage.

Damastah

Dec 14, 2018
    You can also buy the handgun out of state, take the mags home with you and have the dealer mail to a MD FFL.

Same cost as buying from an online retailer, but you get to keep your mags. Maybe have to pay for postage.

Yeah. This is a good idea. But most of the dealers in this area are a bit pricey. I can get the Tp9sfx for 430 shipped + 50 ffl fee at United which is an absolute steal.

Point 357

Jan 20, 2014
    Lexington Park, Md
    Hmm. That’s what I thought. Can sellers send the mags to VA?

Absolutely. If you can negotiate with the seller and agree to pay separate shipping charges for the magazine's they can be shipped to anyone in Virginia, even a private residence. If you have a co-worker who lives in Virginia and is close enough for you to make a day trip to travel to get them that would be perfectly legal. I've done that twice.

Damastah

Dec 14, 2018
    Absolutely. If you can negotiate with the seller and agree to pay separate shipping charges for the magazine's they can't be shipped to anyone in Virginia, even a private residence. If you have a co-worker who lives in Virginia and is close enough for you to make a day trip to travel to get them that would be perfectly legal. I've done that twice.

Amazing. That’s what I wanted to hear. I have a buddy in VA who will do it for me.
    Hopefully the seller is on board.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Is a deal to buy and ship the mags to another state...

IF MADE FROM AN ADDRESS WITHIN THE STATE OF MARYLAND...

a great way to find oneself in deep ca ca?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If the mags never come into MD and an out of state FFL "sells" them to you before shipping the firearm to the MD FFL, that would seem to not run afoul of the MSP bulletin

IANAL however.

The MSP bulletin on 10 round mags sold in MD by a MD FFL:

Attachments

• 10-16-2017+LD-FRU-17-010+High+Capacity+Mags+%281%29.pdf
      134.2 KB · Views: 154

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads