• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Standard. There is almost no HV with significant accuracy that I have found. HV in almost any brand is accuracy compromised

I have almost always found this statement to be the case as well. Not this time.

Maybe try a box of the high velocity one time. Rimfires are fickle to start with, and yours may or may not like it. But I was nothing short of shocked by it. Especially in my 10-22, as well as a CZ455.

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    I actually have a lot of cheap 22 ammo and I just dont shoot it. I recently sold 2k rounds of winchester 22 to a mds member and will likely sell more soon. I have been shooting cci eley or lapua more and even with the extra cost, I like the increased accuracy and consistency. I decided I would rather load up on ammo my 22s like vs just having ammo.

I only buy SK+. Seems to fit well for me. Rifle capability, shooter capability, and amount I'm willing to spend on ammo. Had less capable rifles and ammo taste at one time. Had more capable rifles and more accurate and consistent ammo at one time. Found I like it right here. About .10 per round. Might sound expensive to some, but all considered, i think it's a bargain.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Someone earlier stated not all .04/round ammo is equal, in 22LR. I will second that.
    I have some I gathered before I realized what crappy, dud infested stuff it is. Same brand, different loading
    what dud and inconsistent infested loading it became. But those were other times and conditions.
    Other brands are good. Sometimes you read the reviews and just have to get your feet wet.

Personally, I by the medium 'blaster' grade stuff like Mini Mags for their consistency. Some brands
    I still buy in bulk box but rotate it to the rear so I use the other, practice only, eject the misfire brands first.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Standard. There is almost no HV with significant accuracy that I have found. HV in almost any brand is accuracy compromised

No absolutes in rimfire. :)

I have a Mitchell SS clone of the High Standard. I did not test Ely, but did try CCI Green Box target and many common brands and types of ammo.

BEST accuracy was with Federal American Eagle High Velocity.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I think most will say that dud rounds are more prevalent in rimfire ammunition than centerfire...maybe it's a fact of how they're made. Rimfire ammunition produced during the great hoarding of several years ago seemed to have exhibited a much higher rate of dud rounds than before or since. Ammunition makers were rushing production so much in an effort to get product shipped I believe quality control suffered...either explicitly so or because of bringing on undertrained personnel and turning them loose on the production line before they were ready.

Ammunition boxes have production lot codes on them...too bad they're not date coded so one can see what era it was produced.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I think most will say that dud rounds are more prevalent in rimfire ammunition than centerfire...maybe it's a fact of how they're made. Rimfire ammunition produced during the great hoarding of several years ago seemed to have exhibited a much higher rate of dud rounds than before or since. Ammunition makers were rushing production so much in an effort to get product shipped I believe quality control suffered...either explicitly so or because of bringing on undertrained personnel and turning them loose on the production line before they were ready.

Ammunition boxes have production lot codes on them...too bad they're not date coded so one can see what era it was produced.

Great point!

I can remember an era when I actually liked Remington Thunderbolts. I started reading how people hated them, and wondered why. But all of mine were as old as 30 years old. Lots can change in 30 years. And in my primary hunting .22, nothing beat Remington Golden Bullet. So much so that I loaded up on the same lot number of Golden Bullets at Clyde's.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

No absolutes in rimfire. :)

I have a Mitchell SS clone of the High Standard. I did not test Ely, but did try CCI Green Box target and many common brands and types of ammo.

BEST accuracy was with Federal American Eagle High Velocity.

Absolutely agreed; that's why I used the qualifier "almost" in both sentences. There are no absolutes in rimfire.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    When I find Mini-Mags around $.05 each, I pick some up. Not sure that price will be available anytime soon. In my 795, they are the most accurate and nothing else that I have tried comes close.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    ... the ammo I had trouble with wasn't Aguila, it was ARMSCOR. Aguila is OK in every gun I've tried it in.

Absolutely!
    I gave away a whole brick of Armscor back during the last shortage. Friend's son and daughter were happy it went bang in their little Chipmunks so someone was happy with it.
    I shied away from Aquila, thinking "Mexican" would be the same as "Philippine", but I was very surprised with it.
    "Super Extra" is a brand recognition handle, much like Golden Bullet, Thunderer, and Lightening. Aguila even puts it on their 22 Short.
    Golden Bullets used to be my plinking choice and CCI Minimags my favorite hunting and finicky autoloader round. Aguila is always available, usually less expensive, and works just fine in everything. I'm just plinking though, not a candidate for Eley super duper ultra green target supremo laser stuff.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I've been bummed out ever since the CMP ran out of .22 surplus for $125.00 per case of 5,000 rounds, including shipping. I should have bought more than I did.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Absolutely!
    I gave away a whole brick of Armscor back during the last shortage. Friend's son and daughter were happy it went bang in their little Chipmunks so someone was happy with it.
    I shied away from Aquila, thinking "Mexican" would be the same as "Philippine", but I was very surprised with it.
    "Super Extra" is a brand recognition handle, much like Golden Bullet, Thunderer, and Lightening. Aguila even puts it on their 22 Short.
    Golden Bullets used to be my plinking choice and CCI Minimags my favorite hunting and finicky autoloader round. Aguila is always available, usually less expensive, and works just fine in everything. I'm just plinking though, not a candidate for Eley super duper ultra green target supremo laser stuff.

If anyone else has a brick of Armscor to give away my butt ugly rust pitted barrel Gunbroker refugee 597 is always ready to blow the X off of some targets for me

Tacswa3

Oct 7, 2013
    Absolutely!

Just bought a brick of ARMSCOR today. Ran 100 rounds though my Ruger Mk IV with out a hiccup. I was hesitant in buying it though.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    sportsman guide. they had it for like a full day before they sold out. my case I believe will be here tomorrow.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    What price point do you feel compelled to buy .22 ammo? For me it's around .4/round. I don't need any, but when I see it under .5/round I usually pick some up. I think it's a left over reaction from the 2013 shortage and not wanting to be caught short again. I don't hoard anything else (including toilet paper) but for some reason I keep way more .22 than I will probably ever use.

I was the same way- current crisis had me concerned I didn’t have enough, and a lot of my older ammo was in a footlocker in my gun room under stuff I rarely moved. This week I cleared off the footlocker and cracked it open, and after some accounting realized I had WAY more than I thought. I’m good now.

sead0nkey

Señor member
    Jul 25, 2008
    AA
    I was the same way- current crisis had me concerned I didn’t have enough, and a lot of my older ammo was in a footlocker in my gun room under stuff I rarely moved. This week I cleared off the footlocker and cracked it open, and after some accounting realized I had WAY more than I thought. I’m good now.

I also just did an inventory of the stash. My wife thinks I’m crazy.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    CCI std velocity I find seems to be running around 10cent per round. Wish I could find it for 5 cents per round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom