• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vtx

Aug 1, 2020
    Hey everyone! I recently moved to the Rockville area from near DC (and NY originally). I've just purchased my first AR15 (Ruger AR556) after planning to for years, but never pulling the trigger :D

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, but I'm hoping I can find someone local that can give me "AR15-101" at a range (help sight it, maintenance tips, etc). I've shot friends AR15s, hunting rifles, pistols, and shotguns in the past, so I'm not *completely* new to firearms. That said, this being my first rifle, I want to make sure I learn how to do everything properly from the get go. I'm happy to provide compensation if someone wants to help out a newbie!

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    Welcome to MD shooters and Maryland!
    MD, is a bit better than NYC and DC, and about the same as NY state in terms of firearms..
    Sorry can not help you on the AR-15, since I never "pulled the trigger" on it. I am sure there are many here that have and are willing to share what they know!

Congrats on your move and good luck!
    BTW, where from NY are you I am originally from Flushing, NY

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    AR is pretty straight forward. If you feel like making a very long drive, Ill be going to delmarva sporting clays either next weekend or the following, to shoot the ARs. I am far from expert, but i have coached quite a few through their first firearms experiences. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Hey everyone! I recently moved to the Rockville area from near DC (and NY originally). I've just purchased my first AR15 (Ruger AR556) after planning to for years, but never pulling the trigger :D

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask, but I'm hoping I can find someone local that can give me "AR15-101" at a range (help sight it, maintenance tips, etc). I've shot friends AR15s, hunting rifles, pistols, and shotguns in the past, so I'm not *completely* new to firearms. That said, this being my first rifle, I want to make sure I learn how to do everything properly from the get go. I'm happy to provide compensation if someone wants to help out a newbie!

Should be several volunteers jumping in- I taught my wife on an AR in fifteen minutes and she easily was hitting minute of pie plate at 50yds from the start. They are the easiest rifles to shoot consistently and comfortably most would agree, which is also part of why they’re so demonized.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

***Welcome! You may wish to consider taking an NRA Basic Rifle Class, in addition to taking up any members offers to help you learn. The advantage of taking a class is that it will give you a decent foundation of good safety and operation of your firearm that will be invaluable when you go to a range to shoot. Many accidents involving firearms happen in folks newer to firearms due to ignorance of best practices related to safety.

Taking a formal class presents the information in an organized and developmentally appropriate manner that covers everything from general safety to aiming, shooting positions, range commands, cleaning/basic servicing, function checks, learning about things like misfires, hangfires, squib loads, and how to best deal with them, etc... You will also have range time with an instructor who can help identify issues you may be having holding/operating the firearm that may not be immediately apparent to someone new to firearms, or to the casual shooter helping you who may not be aware of how to correct common and sometimes not so common newbie errors.

Also, the booklet and instruction manual you get can be invaluable to help as a reference after your class to reinforce what you have learned.

Money and time well spent IMO.

Welcome again, and good luck to you!

Foohaus

Nov 22, 2020
    Welcome from another MoCo resident!

If you’ve never had formal training, I’d recommend that as a good first step. Consider it an investment in your safety, the safety of those down range, and the safety of anybody you give a 101 to down the road.

The controls of the platform itself are very simple and easy to pick up and it’s relatively easy to go from zero to hitting 25-50m targets reliably prone or from a bench.

A basic rifle course should be pretty cheap and easy to find.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Welcome from G-burg. I might be of some help to you down the road if you can wait a little while. I belong to a local IWLA and once we are allowed to bring guests again(after the COVID BS), we could probably swing a range trip.
    Welcome to MDS. :)

aklax11

Jan 8, 2015
    Welcome from Rockville as well! Avoid Gilberts Indoor Range...the drive up to Frederick is worth it (Machine Gun Nest or even Heritage)!

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    The Heritage instructors are pretty good, the guy who used to be 31B (MP) knows his stuff.. Can't remember his name. Just a half hour North for you.

vtx

Aug 1, 2020
    Welcome from another MoCo resident!

If you’ve never had formal training, I’d recommend that as a good first step. Consider it an investment in your safety, the safety of those down range, and the safety of anybody you give a 101 to down the road.

The controls of the platform itself are very simple and easy to pick up and it’s relatively easy to go from zero to hitting 25-50m targets reliably prone or from a bench.

A basic rifle course should be pretty cheap and easy to find.

Haha yeah they really are incredibly user friendly. I shot a friends AR a couple of years ago and was hitting 100yds easy and 200yds with a little practice.

I guess I'm looking more for someone who can explain (and demonstrate) things that can go wrong, how to solve them, advice on maintenance, and the proper way to sight it. I'm sure I could go on Youtube and find thousands of videos explaining some of that, but it's different to actually have someone there to demonstrate and mimic.

I actually reached out to a local store about a professional lesson not too long ago, but they never got back to me after the first round of emails. I know they have been insanely busy given everything that's been going on over the past year.

Also, another upside of maybe finding someone from here would be to have a shooting buddy(ies) since I don't know anyone into firearms around here.

vtx

Aug 1, 2020
    Welcome to MD shooters and Maryland!
    MD, is a bit better than NYC and DC, and about the same as NY state in terms of firearms..
    Sorry can not help you on the AR-15, since I never "pulled the trigger" on it. I am sure there are many here that have and are willing to share what they know!

Congrats on your move and good luck!
    BTW, where from NY are you I am originally from Flushing, NY

Upstate a little, Hudson Valley

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from PA!

Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Rules are written in the stone, Break the rules and you get no bones, all you get is ridicule, laughter, a shine box, and a trip to the house of pain.
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT]

vtx

Aug 1, 2020
    ***Welcome! You may wish to consider taking an NRA Basic Rifle Class, in addition to taking up any members offers to help you learn. The advantage of taking a class is that it will give you a decent foundation of good safety and operation of your firearm that will be invaluable when you go to a range to shoot. Many accidents involving firearms happen in folks newer to firearms due to ignorance of best practices related to safety.

Taking a formal class presents the information in an organized and developmentally appropriate manner that covers everything from general safety to aiming, shooting positions, range commands, cleaning/basic servicing, function checks, learning about things like misfires, hangfires, squib loads, and how to best deal with them, etc... You will also have range time with an instructor who can help identify issues you may be having holding/operating the firearm that may not be immediately apparent to someone new to firearms, or to the casual shooter helping you who may not be aware of how to correct common and sometimes not so common newbie errors.

Also, the booklet and instruction manual you get can be invaluable to help as a reference after your class to reinforce what you have learned.

Money and time well spent IMO.

Welcome again, and good luck to you!

Thanks! I'll definitely look into the NRA course. Looks like they've got them going on pretty frequently in Gaithersburg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom