• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Thanks for the demo, the MantisX will be a great training aid!

No problem on the demo. You should see an improvement in your accuracy fairly quick. Concentrate on shooting, not what the device is telling you. Use it as feedback to improve, not let it tell you what to do. If you don’t know the proper use of the fundamentals of marksmanship, the device can’t teach you that... LOL

— Chuck

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Hi All

With the high price of ammo nowadays, I was intrigued to read in the January 2021 issue of Guns and Ammo about the MantisX 10 Elite. And a simple search on MDS led me to this thread which is a few years old. But I wanted to ask those of you who have used this MantisX system whether you felt that it was worthwhile and if it improved your shooting at the range. I'm thinking of getting one for myself but only if you all tell me that it helps. It costs $250 now so it is not exactly inexpensive. However, what I like is that it can be attached to a few different handguns of mine and in theory will allow me to improve my shooting on all of them.

What do you all say? Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down on the MantisX 10 Elite?

Thanks for your feedback.

Cal68

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    I've got one and I like it a lot. I noticed a drastic improvement at the range after a week or two of dry fire practice. I also use it for live fire at the range.

One of the best things, to me, about the product, is the ability to evaluate how things like a new trigger affect your shooting. First thing I changed was my grip. I had never been formally trained, and just did what felt comfortable. Then I did a lot of research into grips and found some things I could be doing better, and sure enough, my score went up. Then I changed my trigger and also noticed an improvement in the score. It wasn't a drastic improvement, but I started in the mid 80s for score, went to upper 80s with grip changes and new trigger puts me consistently in the low 90s.

One thing I dont like, is that it records all your shooting. Presumably, someone in the cloud can know when, where and how much shooting you are doing.

I have tried the rifle as well, just a little dry fire, and the algorithm is definitely much different. I know because I forgot to change it back to pistol afterwards, and the scores I got were not very good, until I changed it back to pistol.

I have only had a handful of false hits with either dry or live fire, even on a crowded range. I have yet to use the shotgun or archery portions, they both use a separate app on your device.

You can also make and join groups, where it will show how you are doing against others in your group. It also has training routines built in, and when you complete them the company actually sends you a physical patch for completion. (I cancelled out of the screen that asks where to send the patch after "basic Marksmanship", so I don't think Ill be receiving that one)

I can't think of anything to add, but if you have any more specific questions, I will try to address them.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I've got one and I like it a lot. I noticed a drastic improvement at the range after a week or two of dry fire practice. I also use it for live fire at the range.

One of the best things, to me, about the product, is the ability to evaluate how things like a new trigger affect your shooting. First thing I changed was my grip. I had never been formally trained, and just did what felt comfortable. Then I did a lot of research into grips and found some things I could be doing better, and sure enough, my score went up. Then I changed my trigger and also noticed an improvement in the score. It wasn't a drastic improvement, but I started in the mid 80s for score, went to upper 80s with grip changes and new trigger puts me consistently in the low 90s.

One thing I dont like, is that it records all your shooting. Presumably, someone in the cloud can know when, where and how much shooting you are doing.

I have tried the rifle as well, just a little dry fire, and the algorithm is definitely much different. I know because I forgot to change it back to pistol afterwards, and the scores I got were not very good, until I changed it back to pistol.

I have only had a handful of false hits with either dry or live fire, even on a crowded range. I have yet to use the shotgun or archery portions, they both use a separate app on your device.

You can also make and join groups, where it will show how you are doing against others in your group. It also has training routines built in, and when you complete them the company actually sends you a physical patch for completion. (I cancelled out of the screen that asks where to send the patch after "basic Marksmanship", so I don't think Ill be receiving that one)

I can't think of anything to add, but if you have any more specific questions, I will try to address them.

Thanks for the feedback my friend. I agree with Babalou that the price has gone up since the last posting on this thread but I think that the previous generation could only be used on handguns unlike this one. But I could be wrong.

Cal68

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I think you are right

Thanks for the feedback my friend. I agree with Babalou that the price has gone up since the last posting on this thread but I think that the previous generation could only be used on handguns unlike this one. But I could be wrong.

Cal68

I think you are right. I did see other calibers, options, etc..

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    I think you are right. I did see other calibers, options, etc..

The have several versions now. The most expensive one does it all. They have cheaper versions as well.

The cheapest does only dry-fire

The next step up does live and dry fire.

There is one specifically for shotguns.

The X10, (the 250 dollar one) does everything, and adds archery as well.

There are many additional modes and analysis that the X10 gives you as well over the other lower versions, such as recoil analysis and holster draw analysis.

The X10 also includes any additional modes that get added by software later.

They also refund a decent portion of your purchase if you upgrade and send in the older version, but only after purchase of the new one on the official site. The one sent in for the refund could have been purchased from any authorized dealer, per my understanding.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Just as an FYI, I called Optics Planet and they sold me the Mantis X10 Elite for 33% off the MSRP. I've found before that if you call them, you can negotiate a price lower than the advertised price on their website.

Cal68

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    This is something people should probably be adding to their stockpile. Not the same thing as feeling/hearing things go bang but much cheaper. Definitely not as satisfying as the real thing but do like not cleaning my guns as much. You can also git-R-done a lot quicker, have a smoke and turn over for a nap.

https://mantisx.com/

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I finally got my Mantis X10 Elite from Optics Planet this week, about a month after I ordered it. They basically screwed up my order so I had to call and remind them that they had not shipped it even though the website said that it was in stock. They apologized and gave me another 10% off. I will set it up on one of my handguns and try it this weekend.

Cal68

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom