• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    I may actually cancel my order with the CMP if I'm really satisfied.

Never cancel a CMP order- they are always worth significantly more than you paid when or if you ever resell. You’ll make money.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Blue Sky was an American company. They were based in Arlington, VA and had their warehouse in Winchester, VA. At some point, they reformed as Arlington Ordnance, with the same facilities.

The South Koreans received M1 Garands and M1 Carbines both as foreign military assistance loans (not to be confused with Lend Lease) and ones they purchased outright via foreign military sales. In the 80s, the US agreed to let the importers bring in a quantity equal to what the South Koreans had purchased by FMS. The remaining rifles were considered loaned US property and that was a point of contention when they tried to sell them off in recent years. Ultimately, the US State Dept wrote them off to become South Korean property, but still wouldn’t issue the retransfer waiver for US import. I’ve seen Korean marked M1 Carbines turn up with European dealers, so I guess they did get sold.

Blue Sky imports are generally considered worse than the Arlington Ordnance imports, possibly due to the Koreans selling off the worst ones first. Some say that the very deep stamping of the Blue Sky import marks distorted the barrels and made them keyhole, but the barrels could well have been just that badly worn. Arlington Ordnance import marks are small and light. There were certainly lots of trashed Arlington Ordnance rifles too, so that’s not a guarantee of a good rifle.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    The Korean imports tended to have a more “silver” like parkerizing. Whenever I see a garand with that light grey or silverish finish, 90% of the time it’s a Korean import. The Korean ones also have lots of wear, typically. I think the heyday for garand buyers were the flood of Greek rifles and ammo. Those were overall very nice
    As for maintenance, I have a set of headspace gauges and a book and a little bit of common sense. I’ve cleaned up triggers and gas tubes, wood fit, etc. I think it’s more fun and intimate to work in them myself. You really get to know the rifle and it’s parts much better

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Ok, I guess I didn't 100% comprehend what Charlie was telling me. I really think this rifle was beyond the kind of help that I could give it. Sure, I could probably do something with the trigger but headspace is not something I'm equipped to do right now.

Not to be cruel or crass but Charlie won't be around forever. I think the proper course of action for a rifle this bad, is to have him whip it into prime shape and then for me to take over as caretaker with the rifle at a known, good starting point. I'll buy gauges and tools and maintain it over the years. Frankly, I'm considering asking him if *after* he's completed my rifle if he'd like to continue my education.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    Ok, I guess I didn't 100% comprehend what Charlie was telling me. I really think this rifle was beyond the kind of help that I could give it. Sure, I could probably do something with the trigger but headspace is not something I'm equipped to do right now.

Not to be cruel or crass but Charlie won't be around forever. I think the proper course of action for a rifle this bad, is to have him whip it into prime shape and then for me to take over as caretaker with the rifle at a known, good starting point. I'll buy gauges and tools and maintain it over the years. Frankly, I'm considering asking him if *after* he's completed my rifle if he'd like to continue my education.

Let us know what the final bill is....Some of us might want to get similar work done and need to know how much $ to have on hand :D

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member

Maybe you can do a bolt/ barrel swap instead of writing off an otherwise decent shooter rifle. Bolt info is not golden but could get you where you need to be to close it up some based on samples.
    Theirs folks who frequent the forum that have what you need and spare take offs/parts are frequently for sale on the cmp forum.
    By the time its all said and done your probably going to want another rifle before its all done. They seem to multiply once you start on them anyhow.

SHORTEST to LONGEST
    WRAs
    -12SA
    65-series

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    A little more information about my rifle which may help other buyers in the future:

First, Blue Sky Imports is/was a Korean company which bought M1 rifles from the South Korean military. At that point, they stopped being "Lend/Lease" and were no longer property of the US Gov't. This is why Blue Sky had to import them into the US. These rifles were used hard by the South Korean military and should be expected to have problems.

My rifle in particular, showed signs of being used to launch a LOT of grenades. The rifling from the muzzle end of the barrel down about 4 inches was nearly gone. Everything else showed incredibly hard wear.
    The op rod spring had large flat spots that had worn the spring thin. Charlie felt that after about 100 more shots, the spring would have failed outright. The headspace and timing were bad enough that after several shots, he felt that the cases would get torn up upon extraction.

The bottom line is this: If you've bought a non-CMP rifle in Maryland and you don't know its provenance, for your personal safety, you should take the rifle to Charlie or another qualified armorer for a health and safety check. The worn rifling is no big deal. It just means the rifle would be horribly inaccurate but the headspace and timing can be dangerous and could result in a cartridge blowing up in your face.

I didn't buy the rifle for its collector value and I was never concerned about its re-sale value but I did screw up. I paid way too much considering the condition of the rifle. That's on me. The good(?) news is, Charlie says it'll be of "break even" value when he's through with it.

Once I get the rifle back from Charlie, I'll see how I feel about it. I may actually cancel my order with the CMP if I'm really satisfied.

I bet when you get it back from Charlie it will become one of your favorite shooting rifles, Charlie builds excellent functioning and accurate rifles. I had him go over this one a few years ago and it's one of my favorite shooters.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=223283

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I had the fortune to fire one of Charlie's rifles last month. It was nearly perfect right out of the box. A few clicks to get the windage right and the center of the target was missing. The rifle belongs to another forum member. He's the one who put me on to Charlie.

Doco, what's done is done. Maloney has the rifle and my money. When I get it back, the only thing left to be done will be to finish the wood with my choice of preservative.

Last edited:

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Charlie's definitely confident about his work. When I picked up my rifle, included was a signed certificate by the master. There was no bragging, no bravado...just a piece of paper that he said would give confidence to anyone interested in obtaining it at a later date. Of course, with three grandsons, that concept is way down the road.

6cylrider98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2008
    Bmore Co
    He is the M1 M-1a Man! Re did my M1,and he is very cool and knows his stuff. A very nice guy. You will be happy with it no doubt. Trigger work is GREAT!!

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg

Charlie probably will not teach his skills. He has been asked many times and the answer is always no. Given his age and health, I doubt that he would be able to give the time and attention he would consider necessary. Pick up a copy of The U.S. .30 Caliber gas operated Service Rifles, a shop manual volumes I & II by Jerry Kuhnhausen (it's one book), it contains a wealth of knowledge and is well worth what ever it costs. If you can, sign up for the CMP armorers course and later on, do their advanced course. BTW, Original gauges and tools are now collectable and expensive.

Sirex