How prepared are you for a home invasion?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PMKMD

Jul 13, 2010
    When I hear something outside at night, my alarm, cameras, a security-glass storm door and a reinforced door jam give me some assurance that no one is in the house and give me plenty of time if someone is trying to get in. So an invasion won't come with a zero-notice swift kick to the door and a quick sprint upstairs. But I don't feel covered if bad guys sneak up on my wife or me when one of us is coming into or leaving the house unarmed. When walking out the door half awake, there are lots of hidey places someone can squat behind then sprint to us. If aware, I'm confident I can hurt a slow dumb bad guy, but bullets are pretty fast. Maybe I watch too much ID channel.

After having done several home defensive and CQB courses, we developed a plan. It is all about delaying the intruders. We have installed a much stronger and more secure front door. Will always lock the back door, yes they throw a brick through the glass but it will take more time.
    Bear spray in the kitchen, which is the central part of the house. Wife and now older son both have done pistol training but don’t feel comfortable using a gun. The bear spray is something they feel comfortable with and it will slow intruders down as they retreat to our safe location. Every door going to the safe location has a wedge or door jams ready, again to slow them down. I have trained both of them that they should only care about their safety and not the material things in the house. By that time they will have passed several small gun safes with the 4 button hand shape. Opening one of those takes 2 seconds, get into the safe room and if you hear anyone tell them, take what ever you want but if you try to come in here you die. Last door again has a door jam ready next to it.

Although we have discussed this plan regularly I want them to go through it, they are hesitant as it makes it real I think. We will get there. Oh yes there is big German shepherd too that will bark like crazy, if you hear that on the other side you will not want to come in.

Don’t think you can just grab your gun and fight it out, you have no idea how many are in your house. This makes it very difficult to safely clear your house. I have done life fire pistol and rifle CQB courses and it taught me it is very difficult and dangerous.

Just my 2 cents

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I keep a fatal funnel on top of my safe as a reminder

So you have to go to your safe to get it?

Next level operator is you wear it on top of your head.

Attachments

• 182-1821750_image-png-fan-fiction-fandom-powered-by-wizard.jpg
      182-1821750_image-png-fan-fiction-fandom-powered-by-wizard.jpg
      40.1 KB · Views: 285

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Speaking of B&E’s...

https://www2.montgomerycountymd.gov/mcgportalapps/Press_Detail_Pol.aspx?Item_ID=35145

For those who don’t click links:

“ Officers from the 5th District have arrested and charged a 16-year-old male from Germantown with the burglary of twelve homes in Germantown. The suspect was arrested after he attempted to flee from officers who were investigating a burglary. Detectives determined that this suspect committed eleven additional residential burglaries in the same area between late March and April 15.

On Thursday, April 15, at approximately 4:25 a.m., the Emergency Communication Center received a call from a resident of a home in the 17700 block of Cricket Hill Drive reporting a burglary in progress at his home. The resident stated that he observed a suspect, wearing all dark clothing, walking around the home.

Responding officers observed the suspect walking around the basement. The suspect attempted to flee via the front door and was immediately arrested by officers. Officers located jewelry on the suspect that detectives later determined that the suspect had stolen from a package delivered to a home on Stone Hollow Drive.

During the investigation of the Cricket Hill Drive burglary, officers were notified of an attempted residential burglary that had occurred at approximately 2:17 a.m. at a nearby home in the 13500 block of Ansel Terrace. The resident of the Ansel Terrace home stated to officers that home security video captured a suspect attempting to enter the home through a rear door. The suspect did not gain entry and fled. The suspect seen on the Ansel Terrace home surveillance video was wearing the same clothing as the juvenile suspect.

During the investigation by detectives, the suspect was determined to have committed the following additional residential burglaries in Germantown:

March 25 – 18000 block of Wheatridge Drive.

March 31 – 12900 block of McCubbin Lane.

March 31 – 18100 block of Stags Leap Terrace.

April 12 – 13500 block of Ansel Terrace.

April 14 – 12500 block of Sanderling Place.

April 15 – three additional burglaries in the 13500 block of Ansel Terrace

April 15 – 12900 block of Barleycorn Terrace

April 15 – 17800 block of Marble Hill Place

The suspect was charged as a juvenile with multiple counts of burglary-related offenses and released to the custody of his mother.”

This part leaves me speechless

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Best $80 bucks I EVER spent.... (I have two. One on my front door, and One on the back.) I have them because I own guns (The few I have left after the houseboat sank in 500 feet of water). Only a few people know, but you never can tell who they might blab to, and I'd like to keep them all. If they DO get in, they will have to deal with Jet. The pure-black GSD with an attitude.

https://www.amazon.com/Nightlock-Se...ocphy=9061285&hvtargid=pla-661244600071&psc=1

Not perfect, but will give you the extra time to wake up and clear your head. Won't help if they are coming in through a window tho...

I put these on all exterior doors, and my screen doors latch and lock on the inside.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D2K367Y

All that to buy time and make entry as noisy as possible.

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    Most of these post go to physical security - which is great. However, many "home invasions" occur when the perpetrators are allowed to enter or force their way through an open/unlocked door. Part of the plan should be to never voluntarily allow anyone you don't know or didn't request to enter your home - for any reason! This needs to be a house rule for all members of the household.

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    Question of assumed safety

Throwing this out to the gallery for comment.

We have a few cameras mounted near primary entry points to our home, they also cover some of the less likely entries as well. Motion sets them off and begins a recording. It also sends a signal to our cell phones. I pay no attention to those signals at all. It happens far to often. Dogs, rabbits, cars etc set it off.

I have a few firearms, "Maybe" of no use in a random night/day attack, they are locked away. We have a dog, of similar readiness as the guns, not much, unless they trip over her. She may bark and run to the door giving some advanced warning, but will be no deterrent.

This is the question:
    I have taken some solace and been less prepared here than in prior homes because I live adjacent to a police officer, great guy, young family man. His official car spends many an hour in front of his home. And in a neighborhood of many other officers. Its a very low crime area as well. But, I have wondered if I am counting on this to much. Obviously, the deranged or crazy one off would not take any notice of this but the greater probability of break in is the opportunist, kids, or experienced home invasion criminal.

Prior homes were also in low crime areas, but I always had a plan of doors for wife and daughter to retreat behind with door stops ready and a firearm within arms reach of sleeping area and basement entrance area.

clint west

Aug 29, 2015
    maryland
    I developed procedures to respond to likely scenarios because the few times I'd been surprised and caught off guard there was no time to think logically through a plan of action. Its good to have a few plans already in place, because due to the unforseen dynamics of an incident, you can more easily modify an existing plan than to come up with a plan under duress of a crisis. RE: home invasions specifically - first thing is to determine if the armed gang is operating by force of government, or is it just criminals.

Dovk0802

Sep 20, 2017
    DC
    If in my bedroom, god help anyone trying to come in. You will not be leaving alive.

Still trying to warm every else over to the idea of having a shotgun or rifle in the kitchen/dining room/living room area but what type of firearm and where/how to store it IDK yet. Little kids,minors or someone who should not have access to a gun are not an issue in our circumstances.

I like SecureIt lockers for long gun staging

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    You want extra variables? Try tending to a senior household member on the Alzheimer’s glide slope, who is also a 100% Pollyanna when anyone comes to the door.

Folks with her slowing cognitive skills cannot be trusted to react well in emergencies or even to begin to take simple direction under chaotic/stressful circumstances.

We like the idea of auto locking/smart doors, but she would definitely be good at finding herself on the wrong side of one at the wrong time, and can’t take on new skills/understanding when it comes to all of this great cheap technology.

It would be interesting to hear from people wrestling with basic preparedness while having to take an advancing case of family member senior brain into account. It has lots of challenges, but definitely flames out hard when unexpected things happen. Ugh.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    You want extra variables? Try tending to a senior household member on the Alzheimer’s glide slope, who is also a 100% Pollyanna when anyone comes to the door.

Folks with her slowing cognitive skills cannot be trusted to react well in emergencies or even to begin to take simple direction under chaotic/stressful circumstances.

We like the idea of auto locking/smart doors, but she would definitely be good at finding herself on the wrong side of one at the wrong time, and can’t take on new skills/understanding when it comes to all of this great cheap technology.

It would be interesting to hear from people wrestling with basic preparedness while having to take an advancing case of family member senior brain into account. It has lots of challenges, but definitely flames out hard when unexpected things happen. Ugh.
    Man, Occam, you have rolled right into the TOO HARD locker imo.

But it appears you don’t have any choice in that regard.

I’m interested to hear the rational/experienced feedback and advice on your conundrum. The rest of the blather can fertilize the daisies.

I’ll say a prayer. That’s the extent of my ability to help in the situation you propose.

Good luck and hope you never have to face that.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Man, Occam, you have rolled right into the TOO HARD locker imo.

But it appears you don’t have any choice in that regard.

I know we're in good company with millions of other households. Modern medicine, food quality, and other niceties mean a lot of people are living a lot longer, but some of them well past their own brain's ability to contend with daily life (let alone misadventures at the front door or in the middle of the night). We're trying to preserve the family's assets and cash flow as best we can by putting off medical-quality assisted living, especially since doing that around here (near the beltway) is astronomically expensive.

Luckily, we're in a relatively low(er) crime part of MoCo, across the street from a cop house, and have a few other mitigating factors. But the larger topic of facing emergencies - especially hostile ones - while wrasslin' with a dementia patient, whoo boy. I guess it's not much different than dealing with a toddler, except she's more likely to wander unexpectedly into the scene of a problem. Life deals some crappy hands, sometimes.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Hard question to predict and answer with accuracy- there are so many variables as to who is in the house, where are they in the house, time of day or night, direction of attack, skill level of attacker, number of attackers, and on and on. All you can really do is take appropriate precautions, train on various scenarios, have a family escape/evasion plan, and practice good situational awareness.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Well I heard something one night. Got up to check the house, grabbed my forty and dropped a mag in, not yet chambering a round. (I've heard stuff lots of times but it was nothing.) I start sweeping the house, quietly. As I am coming down the steps and hear a confirmed intruder in the kitchen. I immediately slap the mag and rack the slide.

I immediately here my son yell out, "Dad its me". I think he had to go change his pants.

He now calls if he changes his mind in the middle of the night and decides to not spend the whole night at his friends house.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Since we're on the theme:

MoCo is (amazingly) charging as an adult a 15 year old Rockville resident who entered a woman's home through an unlocked door and waited for her to come home from grocery shopping. Attacked, raped her. Caught on video re-entering his nearby family home right after. Left prints, DNA - a solid bust. Feel terrible for the lady, but I'll bet she never, ever leaves her house or anything else unlocked again. Some motion-detecting cameras and a phone app alert would have saved her, if she allowed it to alert her to activity in her home. That stuff is too cheap to not use, these days.

https://www2.montgomerycountymd.gov/mcgportalapps/Press_Detail_Pol.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom