• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    I am coming to this late, after all the shouting is over.

FWIW, I'd say this thread is kind of a lesson in how not to act - on both sides. For the experienced people here - remember that people who have little actual experience and knowledge of guns get their gun knowledge from the media and movies. The media portrays the AR-15 as something akin to the demon spawn of Hitler and small pox. Even people who have some interest in firearms may not have a positive view of the EBR because of all this negative press.

Let's not assume people are completely hopeless anti-gun zealots just because they don't understand that certain words and phrases have a negative history inside our community. I don't know whether this guy is a troll or what, but we don't exactly come off as a welcoming bunch in this thread. I would hate for this guy to be a legit novice just asking some innocent, poorly worded questions who is now totally turned off on firearms because "gun guys are just a bunch of dic$s".

That said, when you come on here looking for free advice and people take offense to how you phrase stuff, the appropriate response is probably "I'm sorry, I didn't understand" as opposed to talking back. To make this clear: when you talk about using a .22 for home defense purposes, you told everybody in here that you basically don't know jack about any of this. There is nothing wrong with not knowing - we all had to learn sometime. But nobody wants to be lectured by somebody who clearly knows so little - it comes off as just being an ass. So you probably need to be a little more respectful to the people who do know something and are willing to share their knowledge with you.

OP - I will give you the benefit of the doubt. You don't have to get an AR-15 if you don't want one. But neither a .22 nor a big hunting rifle is really an appropriate home defense gun. One is too small and the other too powerful. If you are 20 and in school - then I assume money is tight - so your most cost-effective choice is probably a Mossberg 500, pump action shotgun. They are typically a little bit cheaper than the Remington 870 which would also be a fine choice. You can probably get one second hand to save even more money. Buy buckshot for it, and take it to a range and shoot it a bunch until you are very familiar with how it works. There are many different opinions as to what is the ideal set-up for HD, some people want a pistol, some want a carbine like the AR-15, some want a shotgun. There are advantages and disadvantages to every choice out there. But none of them are as wrong as using a .22 or high-powered hunting rifle.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    thanks now I will have "no one needs 10 bullets" repeating in my head all day long :lol2: I need to be Baptised hitting the range:outta her

Somehow that "No one needs 10 bullets" chant morphed into....

Dental plan.... Lisa needs braces... Dental plan... Lisa needs braces.... Ughh. Now I can't get THAT out of my head.

83b863d6181e831ad285f9e49d4b23465b935ff9200cd4a4e6540aa9144e2a33.jpg

quad

Another Hooligan
    Mar 31, 2011
    Allegany County
    What I would do is sell you a brand new unfired dpms g2 recon (.308 ) with tags n box for 1,100 (paid 1,400). What you should do is buy it!! LOL

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I've been looking at those Ruger Americans in .30-06 and I wanted an opinion before I purchased one.

I like the safety being to the right and to the rear of the receiver, but it seems awfully loud. When you pull the button back to take the safety off, it goes CLICK!.

The deer may hear it.

If the deer hears the safety click off, you let it get way too close while rifle hunting. lol

I have yet to look at the Ruger American. I own a couple Ruger 77MKII rifles and really like how the safety works, but have no idea if the Ruger American is the same. The one thing I dislike about the Rugers is that aftermarket stuff isn't easy to come by like a Remington 700.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    OP, i think you should buy one, If for nothing else to have just in case SHTF. Which the way this country is going , shouldn't be too long from now.

Yep.

I have respect for the notion that the AR platform isn't for everyone. I personally can't stop buying them, but like the OP indicated, that is OK! However, I have NO respect for the notion that "there won't be a need". We are entirely too comfortable is this little cocoon we built and fought numerous wars to preserve. The less informed and unicorn crapping liberals believe we have arrived. You never arrive. You maintain at best.

Perhaps a history lesson is in order. Lets start with early American revolution, take a lunch break, then move on to nazi germany. Roll film!

thomfantomas

Crna Ovca
    Feb 15, 2013
    Дундак ex Florida Keys
    hey OP some word of advice don't be so thin skinned now you seen the aftermath of your comments on AR rifles and HD...best to just move on and gather more information on the fundamentals of tactical firearms and HD etc etc it's a lot of fun...99% questions can be found in search all the best!!

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Alright, all I was wondering was if it was actually worth buying one. You don't have to tell me that I'm some sort of freedom hating communist. And by the way, how likely do you really think it is that there will be a situation in which you need to protect yourself with more firepower than 25 rounds of .22 in one magazine? I didn't realize that robbers and home invaders were wearing military grade body armor! thanks for the update! And for that matter, how often are you going to kill a man at 300 yards??

I wasn't questioning your RIGHT to own an AR. DID I EVER SAY THAT??? All I asked is, "I mean, how likely is it that there will ever be a situation where I would need that sort of rifle?". The situation I am talking about is where we are fighting a war on American soil.

Okay, fine. So you own one because you want one or because you can, FINE! You are so quick to attack someone for asking a question about whether or not I should buy a certain type of rifle. You know why anti-gun people have such a good argument for gun control laws? its because gun owners, like you all, jump to the highest level of force in any situation, just because you can.

And yes, the safety on the American is quite loud.

Grow up. A little less snark and a little more respect would get you a better response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom