• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbgunn177

Jun 30, 2008
    My sister in law voted early in Bel Air yesterday. Went to vote for a Republican candidate on the ballot but the Democrat was filled in when she clicked on the Republicans (Barry Glassman County Executive) name. She kept pushing the candidates name with the same result. She clicked on write in and the vote was taken away from the Democrat and entered in write in. She then pressed below the Republican candidate name and it registered for the Republican.

She brought it to the attention of the election judges who were quite shocked by it and said that it was the first time that anybody had mentioned a problem with the voting machine all day. The judges took the machine out of service.

Double check your vote don't assume anything. Make sure your vote counts.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    There's also absolutely no reason why, in this era, voters can't be issued a receipt that shows how each of their votes were recorded.

Without a receipt, we are operating on blind faith that our vote was recorded correctly.

As Stalin said - "The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything." If we allow ourselves to be excluded from the counting process, every election we take part in is merely for show.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    A receipt is merely a piece of paper on which anything, literally anything, can be printed. Just like the voting machine's screen shows you only what the CPU wants you to see; not necessarily what's actually being done. I've had fun in the past by setting a picture of a Windows PC victim's screen over the actual screen and watching the fun as they try in vain to do anything at all.

I'm sure the Dems will have that pesky "show the user the vote switch/theft" bug fixed by Election Day.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    For a large part of my life I have been involved with computers. They can and do occasionally go haywire.

That is not my issue.

My issue, is how come it is ALWAYS REPORTED as turning GOP votes to democrap? NEVER the opposite way around.

This stinks in more ways than one. I believe this is being driven from the very top. This is how they work. Conservatives go after voter verification? NO PROBLEM. We can just make the voting machines work for us. It only has to happen 1/100 times to be effective. Maybe even less than that for a close race which this will be.

Someone better call this crap out.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    For a large part of my life I have been involved with computers. They can and do occasionally go haywire.

That is not my issue.

My issue, is how come it is ALWAYS REPORTED as turning GOP votes to democrap? NEVER the opposite way around.

This stinks in more ways than one. I believe this is being driven from the very top. This is how they work. Conservatives go after voter verification? NO PROBLEM. We can just make the voting machines work for us. It only has to happen 1/100 times to be effective. Maybe even less than that for a close race which this will be.

Request a paper ballot. Sight lack of confidence in the process. Litigate. Repeat as needed.

Sharadeth

Oct 11, 2011

That is not my issue.

Well you are correct about computers occasionally going haywire but as a programmer, this is 100% a problem that happened in purpose. Any body that took basic coding in high school and maybe a database class could make a voting machine. The code is very simple stupid and they're is honestly no way a mistake like this could "just skip through". You are right that this sinks but what's worse is that anyone would have a hell of a time even trying to get this into court. From there it would be simple enough to look at the source code and determine the fault but I doubt that we will even get the opportunity to do so. :sad20:

webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    There's also absolutely no reason why, in this era, voters can't be issued a receipt that shows how each of their votes were recorded.

Without a receipt, we are operating on blind faith that our vote was recorded correctly.

As Stalin said - "The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything." If we allow ourselves to be excluded from the counting process, every election we take part in is merely for show.

Perhaps I am just extremely jaded, but even with a receipt, I am not sure that I would believe that the machine isn't just printing what someone programed it to want me to believe, and posting something different. What is there to prevent that?

The only thing I can think of, is the receipt has a verification code, that if presented to the board of elections, you can have your ballet read back to you.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Folks it can't be done. Verification must perseve the secrect ballot. The votes must be non mutabe. Access must be controlled.

The best experts cannot solve this on paper yet, let alone implemented.

At best its premature at worst it can be proven that it can't be done....

Want to preserve whats left of democracy in this republic ... paper ballot... fraud should be hard.. ideally harder than campaigning. ;)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca_Mercuri

Her idea if a paper trail is only good if the source is open to inspection.

Last edited:

eventhorizon

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 12, 2011
    Arnold
    I've been seeing this message posted on Change Maryland's facebook page in the comments section:

"Please share this HOTLINE 443-837-9223 and immediately report any inaccurate votes. There have been numerous reports of voting machines not being calibrated correctly and registering inaccurate votes. Thank you"

and

"Here is the Hotline number for the Larry Hogan campaign and if you notice anything wrong with the voting machines in MD, call it and an attorney will answer 443-837-9223 Please share so voters know. Thank you"

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air

Yes there is. It's called vote buying, which so-often people on here say is already happening. Dirty voters could reliably sell their votes, since the vote buyers could be sure the voters did what they were being paid to do.

Violence is also courted by voter receipts. With a paper receipt, voters are subject to coercion by threats of violence: "Vote for them Dems or we'll burn your house down!" Then they would have to show the receipt to get the thugs to back down.

Without receipts, coercion is almost impossible, and vote-buying is very uncertain. Nobody but the voter knows which way they voted behind the voting booth curtain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_fraud#Vote_buying

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom