• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newq

101st Poptart Assault BSB
    Mar 6, 2011
    Eldersburg, MD
    That was awesome Racin I really liked that. I never thought I would enjoy something like that but you are an inspiration.

I hope you don't mind,

How did you get in to the sport?
    Your glock sure looked diferent then those we are used to can you show and explain what is different?
    Was it hard to get in to the sport?
    Where do you practice?
    How often?
    Round count per practice?
    Commercial or hand reload?

I know its a lot but it gives me some insight to what it would take to compete and whats involved.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Racin' can answer but i'll throw in my two cents.

Super easy to get into the sport (uspsa or idpa, in both you're running around shooting paper and steel targets with a handgun). Just need pretty much any handgun (semi or revolver; totally stock is totally fine), holster and 3 mags and two mag pouches. Most matches you'll use 2-3 boxes of ammo (100-150 rounds). Just tell them at each stage you're new and they'll let you go last so you can pick up on what everyone is doing. go to uspsa and idpa websites and find clubs in your area (and definitely look thru the Competition forum here). I do 1-2 matches pretty much every weekend, a lot of fun.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    that's cool... I've shot IDPA at Sanners and Annapolis. Didn't get to try Thurmont out, though it looked like a good program.
    USPSA looks like fun!

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    That was awesome Racin I really liked that. I never thought I would enjoy something like that but you are an inspiration.

I hope you don't mind,

How did you get in to the sport?
    Your glock sure looked diferent then those we are used to can you show and explain what is different?
    Was it hard to get in to the sport?
    Where do you practice?
    How often?
    Round count per practice?
    Commercial or hand reload?

I know its a lot but it gives me some insight to what it would take to compete and whats involved.

It's very easy to get into the sport. I think davsco nailed it in his post above. Find a local club and check it out, I bet you will have a blast.

My glock is what we call a open gun. Basically the open division allows just about anything you want to do to your gun. There isn't anything on this gun that wasn't modified or replaced with a after market part. There are several other divisions so you don't compete head to head against heavily upgraded guns. I can go into more detail about my upgrades if you like.

I typically practice a lot, but I have goals I want to reach. The last few months life has gotten in the way and I haven't been practicing at all. But when things are going well I dry fire practice twice a day for 30 min each time. And during the summer I do live fire once a week of around 100-150 rounds. Plus shoot matches. Most guys I know don't really practice at all though, and they still have lots of fun.

And I have to reload for my gun, I'm shooting really hot 9mm. Pretty close to 357 sig power. You can't buy that at the store.:party29:

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    That is so freaking cool. That last round was amazing to me. I am going to have to try this soon over in Annapolis. Thanks for the video. I will share it.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    That is so freaking cool. That last round was amazing to me. I am going to have to try this soon over in Annapolis. Thanks for the video. I will share it.

i really cannot believe all the gun nuts on this forum aren't doing competitive action shooting. it is SOOOOOO much better than going to a static range and punching paper. it's not force on force training by any stretch, but a great chance to get some knowledge, experience and confidence running your guns under a little stress that may come in handy should a bad situation arise. i do a boring static range to sight in a new gun and other than that it's all competition shooting for me.

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    +1
    It's 100 times better.
    It will also show you something for which you've never trained well enough.
    I was great on the static range...then that buzzer went off, all my plans went out the window, and I shot worse than I have in 20 years.
    It was a Blast!

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    i really cannot believe all the gun nuts on this forum aren't doing competitive action shooting. it is SOOOOOO much better than going to a static range and punching paper. it's not force on force training by any stretch, but a great chance to get some knowledge, experience and confidence running your guns under a little stress that may come in handy should a bad situation arise. i do a boring static range to sight in a new gun and other than that it's all competition shooting for me.

I understand. I just joined the range this year and will get to it. I shoot the service rifle matches (static) and just did my first Bullseye Pistol. Just a matter of time and how long I wait to have that much fun. I am a very competitive person, so I will get addicted to it. Just need to crank up the Dillon now.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom