New to MD, can someone suggest where to live???

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HarveyMushman

Sep 27, 2020
    Hi, I am moving from FL to Ft. Meade for work (expecting it to be permanent). Excited for work but not very excited about losing most gun rights. (separate discussion, hope it is not as bad as I think).

So, first, I am appreciative that we have this forum and nice to meet everyone!

Second, as my title states, I have not yet decided what area to move too. I am coming from a place where I have some privacy, close to civilization but still have 1.5 acres of land, good people around all of that stuff. Do areas like this exist within commuting distance of Ft. Meade? Everything that I have searched it just seems like there are a lot of townhouses and not much as far as homes (and land) as I have discussed. I should mention too that my budget is 350-450k (which may be the issue!).

Nice to meet everyone and looking forward to getting some suggestions!

Thank you!

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Maybe in Howard County. Columbia or Ellicott City. Prices are up and lot sizes are down.

I have a friend who lives in north Laurel near Rt 29 and Johns Hopkins Rd who is in a 1/2 acre, $400K house.

Make sure you plug the commute into google maps and adjust the departure time to the next weekday at 7am to check the traffic, which is heavier nonCovid.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Lowerguk

Sep 26, 2020
    Carroll County
    Look around Carroll county. Westminster area or just south of there. That’s probably your best bet for acreage 1.5+ around the price you’re looking for. You just have to deal with a 40-60m commute.

Carroll County is a lot quieter than most of Howard also. Howard is very populated around the 350-340k price point.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Hi, I am moving from FL to Ft. Meade for work (expecting it to be permanent). Excited for work but not very excited about losing most gun rights. (separate discussion, hope it is not as bad as I think).

So, first, I am appreciative that we have this forum and nice to meet everyone!

Second, as my title states, I have not yet decided what area to move too. I am coming from a place where I have some privacy, close to civilization but still have 1.5 acres of land, good people around all of that stuff. Do areas like this exist within commuting distance of Ft. Meade? Everything that I have searched it just seems like there are a lot of townhouses and not much as far as homes (and land) as I have discussed. I should mention too that my budget is 350-450k (which may be the issue!).

Nice to meet everyone and looking forward to getting some suggestions!

Thank you!

Carroll county would be a good choice, but you're probably going to face a trade off in either land or commute time.

You could commute to Ft Meade in about 40 minutes from Southern Carroll co. if you're near rt 32, but you would be unlikely to find 1.5 acres.

You could find the acreage if you went a little farther North or West, but your commute would increase quickly.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Look around Carroll county. Westminster area or just south of there. That’s probably your best bet for acreage 1.5+ around the price you’re looking for. You just have to deal with a 40-60m commute.

Carroll County is a lot quieter than most of Howard also. Howard is very populated around the 350-340k price point.

There it is.
    Close? Costly.
    Little space? Time to target. :innocent0

HarveyMushman

Sep 27, 2020
    Make sure you evaluate the commute in the evening around when you leave work. That’s the one that’s probably going to be a lot worse than the morning commute.

Very true, maybe the best thing honestly will be to get something close to work for the first year and then evaluate from there but either way I wanted to see if it is doable in other areas because then I would just get a short term and move to where I really want to be sooner.

Lowerguk

Sep 26, 2020
    Carroll County
    Very true, maybe the best thing honestly will be to get something close to work for the first year and then evaluate from there but either way I wanted to see if it is doable in other areas because then I would just get a short term and move to where I really want to be sooner.

You could always just live on base. They have everything from a shared apartment to rental houses on base.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    The commute doesn't worry me too much. I mean tradeoffs right! I am thinking that northern Virginia would not be possible?

I would not consider that. To get to Ft Meade you have to make your way around DC, and it will not be pleasant to do that on a daily basis. Plus, to get 1.5 acres you'd have to get pretty far into Northern VA.

HarveyMushman

Sep 27, 2020
    I would not consider that. To get to Ft Meade you have to make your way around DC, and it will not be pleasant to do that on a daily basis. Plus, to get 1.5 acres you'd have to get pretty far into Northern VA.

I figured, well there is possibly another compromise, gun rights or land!!??

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    I moved out of Md because Md sucks. That said two areas that I always thought would be good to live in was Thurmont, which I know is out of the question.

The other was Clarksville. There are a lot of nice places between Clarksville and Highland that I would consider nice in Md. Not far off Md 32.

Wherever you choose, good luck.

HarveyMushman

Sep 27, 2020
    I moved out of Md because Md sucks. That said two areas that I always thought would be good to live in was Thurmont, which I know is out of the question.

The other was Clarksville. There are a lot of nice places between Clarksville and Highland that I would consider nice in Md. Not far off Md 32.

Wherever you choose, good luck.

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom