• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boisepaw

boisepaw
    Jan 5, 2015
    Eastern shore, MD
    Between the pandemic and the new administration, times are tough for gun owners...especially in Maryland.

I’m looking for suggestions for manufacturers/models of Maryland compliant AR-15’s that are better quality...not necessarily Daniel Defense level but not a no-name special. Unless it is a no-name that makes excellent rifles.

So...anything out there that is not through the roof price-wise but will be reliable and accurate and Maryland legal?

And where do you buy those rifles...online or which Maryland dealers?

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Good complete rifles are very hard to find right now.

Windham Weaponry makes a MD compliant HBAR that is a nice buy.

Ruger and Delton both make Heavy Barrel AR variants that are kosher for MD, but at an extreme mark up right now. A Ruger 556 could be had for $499 all day long before Covid. I generally consider Delton and Ruger as “hobby grade”. Fine for plinking and fine if it’s all you can afford but there are certainly better options.

I get flamed endlessly for recommending Palmetto State Armory, but they do make an 18 inch HBAR complete upper (minus bolt and charging handle), using FN Cold Hammer Forged Barrels. For what it’s worth it’s a very decent upper. They’re rarely in stock these days and also marked up. I got one for $379 a year ago.

If budget allows, check out LWRC. They’re pricey but locally made and very high quality. They make MD compliant rifles.

Ballistic Advantage, Rosco, and Stag Arms make quality, high value HBAR barrels, but you’d have to assemble the upper yourself. Someone on here may be willing to help you.

Criterion makes a a few HBAR’s ranging from 16 to 20 inches and are high grade barrels.

Radical Firearms complete rifles seem to be popping up on shelves as of late, but I would avoid Radical at all cost. Really low end and a consistent track record of poor QC. They literally build rifles out of the cheapest available parts.

What I’ve tended to notice is that the higher end stuff, if/when you find it, actually hasn’t raised in price so much. But when you look at the low end, the prices are approaching what the top end looks like.

When a Daniel Defense costs $1800 and a Ruger 556 is selling for $1400+, we’ve got a problem.

I think your best bet is to follow a few local shops social channels, Instagram and Facebook, and see if/what they’re posting. Some have posted AR’s and such from time to time. But calling around asking if they have AR’s in stock right now will likely get you laughed at.

Regardless of the outcome, just know you are not getting a deal.

iplay4fun

Aug 15, 2020
    I was in the same boat a couple of months ago and decided to get an LWRC Di. With Rugar and other brands marked up to $1000+, I decided to spend a little extra for something nicer. I am pretty happy with my decision and would recommend LWRC Di.

Sterl1ng

Mar 2, 2020
    As said above, you can't go wrong with LWRC Rifles.

I've owned a Stag rifle for a few years now, and found it pretty...adequate. Fit and finish weren't the best, and the receiver wobble drives me nuts. The stock rail was most certainly chinesium, and the mil-spec trigger was noticeably worse than my colt or aero triggers. The being said, it's been dead reliable.

If you don't want an LWRC, and don't mind some work or hiring someone, buying a lower receiver then assembling an HBAR will allow you to tailor the rifle piece by piece from the start to your needs.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Good complete rifles are very hard to find right now.

Windham Weaponry makes a MD compliant HBAR that is a nice buy.

Ruger and Delton both make Heavy Barrel AR variants that are kosher for MD, but at an extreme mark up right now. A Ruger 556 could be had for $499 all day long before Covid. I generally consider Delton and Ruger as “hobby grade”. Fine for plinking and fine if it’s all you can afford but there are certainly better options.

I get flamed endlessly for recommending Palmetto State Armory, but they do make an 18 inch HBAR complete upper (minus bolt and charging handle), using FN Cold Hammer Forged Barrels. For what it’s worth it’s a very decent upper. They’re rarely in stock these days and also marked up. I got one for $379 a year ago.

If budget allows, check out LWRC. They’re pricey but locally made and very high quality. They make MD compliant rifles.

Ballistic Advantage, Rosco, and Stag Arms make quality, high value HBAR barrels, but you’d have to assemble the upper yourself. Someone on here may be willing to help you.

Criterion makes a a few HBAR’s ranging from 16 to 20 inches and are high grade barrels.

Radical Firearms complete rifles seem to be popping up on shelves as of late, but I would avoid Radical at all cost. Really low end and a consistent track record of poor QC. They literally build rifles out of the cheapest available parts.

What I’ve tended to notice is that the higher end stuff, if/when you find it, actually hasn’t raised in price so much. But when you look at the low end, the prices are approaching what the top end looks like.

When a Daniel Defense costs $1800 and a Ruger 556 is selling for $1400+, we’ve got a problem.

I think your best bet is to follow a few local shops social channels, Instagram and Facebook, and see if/what they’re posting. Some have posted AR’s and such from time to time. But calling around asking if they have AR’s in stock right now will likely get you laughed at.

Regardless of the outcome, just know you are not getting a deal.

Really it's get what you can these days. Regarding PSA barrels, all of mine pass all headspace gauges and shoot great. However, it is important to note that while the CHF barrels are made by FN they are NOT spec'd the same as FN barrels...commercial or military.

I have put together a couple of uppers with Warsport barrels (stamped HBAR) that shoot really well. I may sell them as I'd like to assemble something new.

temccoy

Nov 13, 2020
    I have built the lower myself and put a Rock River Arms upper on it with their HBAR / heavy barrel. Makes it Maryland compliant. I also use their parts kit for the lower with their two stage National Match trigger. For $100, it is a great trigger, and substantially less expensive than other after market triggers. I have never been disappointed with the Rock Rivers, very reliable and accurate, and the parts all seem good quality.

Hoons

May 15, 2019
    Would changing DI to piston like Adam's arms kit be a viable work around the hbar requirement? Since it's not interchangeable parts anymore

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    Just throwing this out there, LaRue makes what they call an “ultimate upper” rifle kit. While the .223/.556 aren’t Maryland legal they make them in other calibers that are. If you can assemble an AR then this might be a great way to go. A 300 BO will run under 800 bucks and they will sell you a LaRue lower for another 200 dollars. So you’re hitting around 1k for a complete rifle. Not a bad price point for an upperclass gun. Be advised that the lead times for these kits can run into months depending on what they are running on their machines.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Hanover Armory makes AR's in house and sells them at decent prices. MD compliant. They also offer a lifetime warranty. Usually several in stock.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Would changing DI to piston like Adam's arms kit be a viable work around the hbar requirement? Since it's not interchangeable parts anymore
    Yes. The AA piston uppers are not necessarily the most durable things out there (always have a spare piston and spigot!), but the MSP does seem to regard piston guns as not being true AR-15s... for now. I've run a 5.45 AA upper in 3gun for a while now just to burn off some remaining commercial 5.45, and it has been a solid performer.

Faxon makes a fluted heavy barrel that will radically cut down on weight. It's not cheap, but it IS cheaper than trying to flute an HBAR later. I always keep an eye out for low-count fluted heavy barrels from reputable manufacturers.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    You could always just get an AR in .300 blk, 6.5 grendel, 6.8spcII, or 7.62x39 and call it a day. You could also buy a lower and make a "pistol" with a sba3 brace in whatever chambering at whatever barrel length and be good.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    You could always just get an AR in .300 blk, 6.5 grendel, 6.8spcII, or 7.62x39 and call it a day. You could also buy a lower and make a "pistol" with a sba3 brace in whatever chambering at whatever barrel length and be good.

Braces are somewhat endangered these days, aren't they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom