• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CalgarisRex

Apr 8, 2021
    Been in the market for a .308 for a while, and have always had my eye on the M1A, but the .308s are not legal to buy here. I've heard nice things about the performance of 6.5 Creedmoor, and I'm fairly impressed by the Loaded M1A, but I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't just buy an AR-10 instead.

I've heard that AR-10s are lighter, easier to service, more accurate, and they're obviously much more modular. It also seems that .308 ammo would be easier to come by, especially with the current shortage. I'm also concerned that Congress may eventually make it harder to get hold of one of these in the future, whereas the loaded M1A seems less at risk of this.

Any advice, experiences, or insights would be appreciated. Presently I'm looking for a relatively versatile weapon in a larger caliber and my budget is roughly in the $1800-$2500 range.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    The ar10 is certainly more versatile. Magazines are also much cheaper. I love my m1a but its heavier, pickier about ammo that it shoots well and isn't very optics friendly. If I could only have one it would certainly be the ar.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I think the M1a is an obsolete design. Obsolete when released. Quickly replaced by the M16. I'm not a fan of the M16 but that's another issue.
    I have owned three M1a's over the decades of various makes but as previously stated mounting an optic, while doable isn't as easy (easier than on an M1 though). The M1a rifle is heavier. I believe the AR platform is inherently more accurate (just look at the national Matches). Yes, the matches where changed to take into consideration the smaller caliber of the .223, but here we are talking .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor so moot point. The tweaking of the AR platform is easier and is superior to what can be achieved with the M1/M1a and at a lower cost and time invested. Replacement parts (bolts, firing pins extractors, FCG's costs are going up because they don't sell as many, they cost more to produce and the 'cheap' surplus parts are going or gone.
    The newer chassis made for the M1a really help improve performance a lot but a cost $$$$!
    For the money spent the AR will be a better choice.
    Those are just my thoughts, for what it's worth. If you have a desire for an M1a an AR won't scratch that itch.

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    M1A are nice but nostalgic. Technology wise the AR10/LR308 is a better design. Lighter, more accurate much more versatile. I have four LR308’s two in 308 win, two in 260 Rem. I have loaded the 308 from 155 to 225 gr HPBT. You will need and adjustable gas block . The 225 gr HPBT it’s a pretty hot load 48 gr RL17. But I was able to get 2,450 out of a 20” barrel. You could not dream of loading this in a M1A.

Also there are other options easily done in the AR10/LR308 platform. 338 Federal, 243 win, 6 Creedmoor, 7mmx 08 , 375 Raptor and a slew of others. So, if you get the itch for a 7mm x 08 just buy a barrel and either build a next upper or just replace the barrel in the existing upper and your ready to go. O

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I own multiple of both and got the National Match M1A custom built first (late 80’s) because I was shooting competition at the time; then I wanted something I intended to shoot MORE OFTEN. .....

After a lot of research I got the DPMS G-II moe (“This rifle, along with the AP4, is the lightest model GII rifle, coming in at 7.25 lbs.” 7-1/4lbs!!!!!! :party29: That light weight, along with increased modularity with many std 556 AR parts, internal and external, has already made life simpler and confirmed what I assumed would be a good buying decision) but, I can only rely upon Lancer AW A-7 mags so, I have since spent easily half what it would take to buy another rifle in stocking up on several generation’s worth of 20- and 25-rounder translucent mags. I only mention this as mags, and obtaining as many as you can possibly afford as quickly as you can should be a priority, no matter what platform you ultimately go with ...

Finally, on Wednesday of this week, I pick up my new Springfield M1A SOCOM 16. At $2,000 I paid wayyyyyy too much for it and I only bought it cuz of the aforementioned itch (and an amount of mags for that platform on hand) and am excited.

If I had none today I’d start with the DPMS G-II, panic prices in effect notwithstanding.

And, you appear to be in luck like fvck because Sportsman’s actually has them in stock for NOT exactly “full-on” PANIC PRICING!!!!!! https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...-sporting-rifles/dpms-308-moe-rifle/p/1457594

(I was helping a bud shop online the last 10 days and I honestly do not believe those were in stock let alone at under $1,300 even a couple days ago ... caveat emptor ... I’ll be surprised if they have ‘em in stock long, at all ... :innocent0 (ETA: okay, so I just checked and turns out they didn’t even have the Socom 16 in stock this time last week or else I’d’ve bought it from them and put the $150 I’d’ve saved toward ... you guessed it, MORE MAGAZINES! :lol2:

Meanwhile, not sure who has the Loaded M1A actually in stock?

Attachments

• B9E4415C-3730-4BDA-B457-A0767D9BE12C.jpg
      B9E4415C-3730-4BDA-B457-A0767D9BE12C.jpg
      54.6 KB · Views: 286
    • D5DCBB32-09C0-4A56-B7EC-DC16701F2192.jpg
      D5DCBB32-09C0-4A56-B7EC-DC16701F2192.jpg
      69.3 KB · Views: 305

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    The AR10 is easily the choice. The M1A is not the platform for 6.5cm. imo. Plus the .308 in the ar-10 is legal in hellhole Maryland.

454shooter

LARGE Caliber
    Jun 20, 2020
    Harford County
    Having owned both M1A and AR-308 platforms...I agree with the group...the AR platform is way more friendly to modularity and accessories. It's easier to build and tune. Also, if you want to rebarrel at a later date...way cheaper/easier with the AR.

Having said all that...the M1A is a classic beauty and if you love them no AR will replace it...lol.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Own both, the M1A is a beautiful rifle, shoots well, and can serve you well, but it is pretty much stuck with 50's rifle technology. The AR10/AR308 platform has enjoyed a recent revival as the AR15's big brother, and benefitted from current technology. No question an AR10/AR308 is better in just about every way. For that price range, American Defense are awesome Armalite/AR10 pattern rifles with a ton of features and the best parts. If you are a builder you can go with something like the Mega MATEN(AR10) sets or Aero Precision M5(DPMS AR308) sets, and build what you want.

Raiderjack23

MDS Supporter
    Jul 10, 2020
    Carroll County
    "Been in the market for a .308 for a while, and have always had my eye on the M1A, but the .308s are not legal to buy here. I've heard nice things about the performance of 6.5 Creedmoor, and I'm fairly impressed by the Loaded M1A, . . . " " . . . Presently I'm looking for a relatively versatile weapon in a larger caliber and my budget is roughly in the $1800-$2500 range."

@CalgarisRex Reddings in Gettysburg PA had an M1A in 6.5 Creedmoor (either used or consignment) when I was in there this past weekend. It was in your price range and had a side mounted scope to boot. Sorry, Don't remember the scope brand or specs of it.

Can't tell you what kind of shape the gun is in. But it looked nice to this novice's eye.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I own both rifle systems but my thinking is slightly different.
    I don't see a whole lot of real deal iron sights on the Ar type 308 rifles.
    For me at least, that's a huge disqualifying factor irregardless of how well one or the other shoots.
    I didn't see anyone bring it up so I thought I would at least mention it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom