• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GBear

Mar 16, 2021
    Baltimore
    Hey guys, I could use your advice on a few things. My DDM4 PDW, my first AR style firearm, finally arrived and due to MD compliance, it was shipped without a mag. Where is a good place to visit in our neighborhood states to pick up a few 20-30 round mags?

And while I have you guys, can you also point me in the right direction regarding ammo. I need suggestions on 300 blackout for home defense and a less expensive but still good quality ammo for the range. Thanks for your help in advance.

P.S.
    Will suppressors ever be in stock again...sheesh!
    Specifically, the DD Wave QD.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I don't know any retailers specifically to go to for mags in PA, DE or VA but if you can wait there will be a gun show in Gettysburg June 5-6...there is always vendors there to find magazines at.

F-Stop

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Cecil County
    DE passed legislation for mag limit of 17. Not sure when it takes affect or if it was immediate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    If it's in 300BO, then Lancer 300 mags are awesome, thin steel lips, poly body, they feed most everything with room for the longest OAL and widest ogive profile. I often run standard gen2 PMAGS primarily being I have tons of them, no problem with lighter weight supers, some subs start to push together, but so far feed fine. The 300BO PMAGs are kinda inbetween, both in cost and in room for fat subsonic bullets, the vast majority stack fine, but there are a couple poly coated cast that are too fat. As far as ammo goes, haven't really seen any on shelves for a year, and primarily load my own anyway. If it were available S&B is good range ammo, Hornady or Sig for defense. For shops to try, most any shop within 10miles of the Mason-Dixon charges stupid prices, especially now. Have seen $30 PMAGs in Shrewsbury, and $20 at some other big box stores and those close to the line. Drive to Lanco in Etown, and they are the normal $12 for gen2s, $15 for PMAG300s and $18 for Lancers with plenty on the shelf, or wait for a gun show and bring cash.

Gen2 Pmag on the left with bullets a little squished, PMAG300 in the middle stacked nice, Lancer on the right with room to spare, all with 220gr Berrys plated subs
    20201020_092104.jpg

Ikaros240

Aug 11, 2020
    If it's in 300BO, then Lancer 300 mags are awesome, thin steel lips, poly body, they feed most everything with room for the longest OAL and widest ogive profile. I often run standard gen2 PMAGS primarily being I have tons of them, no problem with lighter weight supers, some subs start to push together, but so far feed fine. The 300BO PMAGs are kinda inbetween, both in cost and in room for fat subsonic bullets, the vast majority stack fine, but there are a couple poly coated cast that are too fat. As far as ammo goes, haven't really seen any on shelves for a year, and primarily load my own anyway. If it were available S&B is good range ammo, Hornady or Sig for defense. For shops to try, most any shop within 10miles of the Mason-Dixon charges stupid prices, especially now. Have seen $30 PMAGs in Shrewsbury, and $20 at some other big box stores and those close to the line. Drive to Lanco in Etown, and they are the normal $12 for gen2s, $15 for PMAG300s and $18 for Lancers with plenty on the shelf, or wait for a gun show and bring cash.

Gen2 Pmag on the left with bullets a little squished, PMAG300 in the middle stacked nice, Lancer on the right with room to spare, all with 220gr Berrys plated subs
    View attachment 312908

Dont ever trust Lancer mags with your life, they look great and work fine on the range, but a quick tap on the bottom will push out a few rounds. Check this one: https://www.reddit.com/r/tacticalgear/comments/mydek6/the_lancer_mag_symphony_aka_why_i_hesitate_to/

There is a reason why they are the worst performing magazines in tthe USMC trials in 2015, just stick with USGI mags like Okay industries and Pmags, theyre combat proven

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas, VA which is also a very nice indoor range, was heavily stocked with Pmags the last time I was there (actually, every time I am there) including 20, 30, and 40 round variants.

I think 20 or 30 round mags are best for home defense. They are legal to possess, so why have less?

10 round magazines tend to be pretty far into the magwell of an AR and are harder to strip if you have an issue - I can imagine having a couple, but wouldn't be my primaries. The 40s are a little long, unwieldy, and heavy.

Ikaros240

Aug 11, 2020
    If you don't mind driving over to around Great Falls VA area I have a few pmags that I'm looking to sell

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Or in your guys’ opinion, do you believe 10 rounds to be sufficient for home defense?

I usually use 20 rounders for range and defense. Brownells and Pmag. Decent capacity, not too heavy, balances well in the gun, and doesn't stick too far out the bottom.

I do have plenty of 30s should a dire situation arise, but live quite happily with the 20s.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Good choice on the DDM4.

I have a 10.3 inch version in 5.56.

If you’re in Baltimore, PA is prob your closest choice.

Gun Bunker in Shrewsbury is prob the closest and just over the PA line off of 83.

When I find myself near Gettysburg I usually pop into Redding’s Hardware, as they don’t inflate the mag prices like Gun Bunker sometimes does.

Raiderjack23

MDS Supporter
    Jul 10, 2020
    Carroll County
    Good choice on the DDM4.

Gun Bunker in Shrewsbury is prob the closest and just over the PA line off of 83.

When I find myself near Gettysburg I usually pop into Redding’s Hardware, as they don’t inflate the mag prices like Gun Bunker sometimes does.

A second recommendation for Reddings in Gettysburg if that is within reasonable range.

GBear

Mar 16, 2021
    Baltimore
    I usually use 20 rounders for range and defense. Brownells and Pmag. Decent capacity, not too heavy, balances well in the gun, and doesn't stick too far out the bottom.

I do have plenty of 30s should a dire situation arise, but live quite happily with the 20s.

I was thinking 20’s would be ideal and having a few 30’s for emergencies. This is the route I will probably take.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Good choice on the DDM4.

If you go that way Gettysburg Trading Post is a good place to check also. Usually a good selection of firearms, mags, holsters, etc.

Sirex