• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I've been wanting one of the 14" mossbergs that was being built by Lord Chad and since they are on hold I got to messing around in my garage. The Raptor grip (birdshead grip) I had seen on shockwave technologies site was cool but I was tired of buying things without trying it first... so I figured I could make something like that. So here it is, its oak and I was gonna stain it and try to make a forend but I decided to just paint it black with engine enamel. I put a quick release swivel on the butt end for a sling. Also added a tritium night sight front end that I acquired in the Marine Corps. The bandolier sling and bayonet are just for the scare the antis factor but I seem to be making all of my guns meaner looking just as an FU to Maryland.
    002.jpg
    005.jpg
    004.jpg
    006.jpg
    003.jpg
    007.jpg

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I like the bayonet mount but would loose the sling and replace it with a shoulder scabbard.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    Awesome job on the birdshead!!! I think it looks way better than shockwave technologies version. The finger grooves look comfortable and seems like it would help with hand slippage when your paws get wet.
    I have the shockwave birdshead and i remember shooting in the rain and my grip slipping just a bit. Not alot but noticable.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I like the bayonet mount but would loose the sling and replace it with a shoulder scabbard.

That's what I like about the old quick release sling swivels, the scabbard was part of the idea behind losing the full stock. A scabbard on the side of a pack as a secondary long gun or use to be long gun.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    JED195:

Seriously, feel like making a few more? I'd buy two and I'm sure other MDS folks would put in for a bunch more, too.

Your grip contour is a huge improvement over the Shockwave.

To make it easy, make them unstained and let everyone finish them.

Call them "JED's 80% Book of Eli Birdheads".

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I could have sworn that there was an extra "r" in the thread title. ;)

Mammary jokes aside, that's one cool looking shotty. You get a chance to fire it yet? I've always wondered how shotguns with grips like that handle.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    JED195:

Seriously, feel like making a few more? I'd buy two and I'm sure other MDS folks would put in for a bunch more, too.

Your grip contour is a huge improvement over the Shockwave.

To make it easy, make them unstained and let everyone finish them.

Call them "JED's 80% Book of Eli Birdheads".

It's funny that you say "Book of Eli" that was what came to my mind when it was all finished!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom