• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Bummer, I know. I don't understand differentiating frames by manufacturer.

If you want to build something very specific it is worth it. There are a couple of 'short block' kits offered - fitted frame, slide and barrel. Several makers offering frames and slides will fit for a fee. You can also start with a good base gun like a Springer and go from there, learning the particulars of the 1911. You seem to capable so you will choose a route you are comfortable with.

If it is particular pattern you want there is probably already one offered commercially.

The nice thing about 'rolling your own', liken to building an AR, is learning what you really prefer without spending a ton of money. This way you just spend half a ton.

Owning a factory built 1911 is one thing (I already own one), building one is going to help me understand how it all works and fits together. I wanted to do it as another project, so my hands are not idle over the next fall/winter.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Just in case you have not seen these. Really helped me fit a Grip Safety.

Attachments

• cut-away1.jpg
      cut-away1.jpg
      76 KB · Views: 146
    • cut-away2.jpg
      cut-away2.jpg
      71.5 KB · Views: 142
    • cut-away3.jpg
      cut-away3.jpg
      83 KB · Views: 146

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    I suggest you call Engage and see if they will do the transfer of the frame for you, or maybe they can call the MSP and get a feel if the transfer of the frame might be approved.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Owning a factory built 1911 is one thing (I already own one), building one is going to help me understand how it all works and fits together. I wanted to do it as another project, so my hands are not idle over the next fall/winter.

I feel exactly the same way. That's the main reason I assembled my own AR's.
    I wonder if there are any special tools needed for a 1911?
    I would be extremely interested in building one.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I feel exactly the same way. That's the main reason I assembled my own AR's.
    I wonder if there are any special tools needed for a 1911?
    I would be extremely interested in building one.

My main hang up is the HQL. I don't want to do the walk of shame, considering my time in this state is less than 5 years. Why waste the money if I don't have to on something that is a moneymaker for MD and a total infringement on my rights.

I don't want to get the HQL, for just a stripped frame, because it doesn't make sense. Just like an AR lower, a 1911 receiver has no features, until it is completed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom