• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Todays prices will seem cheap in just a few years. There are plenty of C&R opportunities out there but you have to pay to play:

That's no joke. I can remember buying run of the mill M1 Garands for $500-$600. Now these same firearms are going for $800-$1000.

That's better than a 7% savings account of yesteryears.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    That's no joke. I can remember buying run of the mill M1 Garands for $500-$600. Now these same firearms are going for $800-$1000. That's better than a 7% savings account of yesteryears.

I worked at Woolworth's in Harford Mall ~ 1986. We sold Garands for $150 and Carbines for $99.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I worked at Woolworth's in Harford Mall ~ 1986. We sold Garands for $150 and Carbines for $99.

Woolworths sold guns???

I vaguely remember the place from the early 90's when I was a kid and my mom had a small book kiosk in the mall. Didn't raise they sold guns.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I remember a big bin full of Garands at the Security Mall Woolworths back in '86. They were shot-out, ragged-out Korean rifles, probably the infamous Blue Sky imports.

I think about them from time to time, wish I'd bought a dozen. I didn't know enough about Garands back then to pick the good ones with the valuable parts, though, and I didn't have money to waste on junk guns.

I did buy a Blue Sky Carbine a few years later for about $170 or so. I picked it from about a dozen at a gun show. It's always been a good shooter: nothing wrong with it at all.

The Blue Skies were notorious for their huge import stamps, but the joke is, compared to today's billboards, the Blue Sky stamp looks positively discrete. Also, the stamp is on the barrel, not the receiver. If someone bought a shot-out rifle, he could just replace the barrel with a NOS one, and have a nice un-stamped Garand or Carbine.

I remember Lee Enfields for $50 each. Also, it wasn't all that long ago Turkish Mausers were $49 with bayonet, sling, and cartridge boxes.

Phone calls were a nickel, consarn it, and buggy whips were two bits. Dadburned whippersnappers has no respect, doesn't appreciate the sacrifices their elders made so as they can sleep under a roof. In my day, we didn't have roofs. No one did. Most folks were lucky to have three walls. We only had two. Codswallop!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom