• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Maybe I was just seeing things at 4:30AM this morning, but is there now a gun shop in the plaza behind the abandoned Taco Bell building?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    If so it's kind of amazing. Not just because it's Montgomery County but Damascus has long been a very insular community and not wanting outsiders in. It took many years before any kind of chain restaurant could locate there. Once enough outsiders did move in and get some influence things started to change...whether for the better is always arguable. The same for Middletown and Thurmont.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If so it's kind of amazing. Not just because it's Montgomery County but Damascus has long been a very insular community and not wanting outsiders in. It took many years before any kind of chain restaurant could locate there. Once enough outsiders did move in and get some influence things started to change...whether for the better is always arguable. The same for Middletown and Thurmont.

At least Thurmont had a liquor store. :D

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    I wouldn't be surprised if Damascus had one soon. They're going to have a hard time finding something to take over the Taco Bell, Burger King, and Subway stores that are all vacant now.

Subway is just moving next to the Chipotle food joint and I hear a auto parts store may be taking over the old Burger King building. Why we need another auto parts store beats me!

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Subway is just moving next to the Chipotle food joint and I hear a auto parts store may be taking over the old Burger King building. Why we need another auto parts store beats me!

Pulling a Tom & Ray's huh?

Subway and BK can stay gone as far as I'm concerned. The Taco Bell however, was a late-night savior of mine many times. Never could understand why they made it a combo KFC/TB though. Too much overhead and with other fried chicken competition around to boot!

BK just had a crappy location to get into and out of.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member

Subway and BK can stay gone as far as I'm concerned. The Taco Bell however, was a late-night savior of mine many times. Never could understand why they made it a combo KFC/TB though. Too much overhead and with other fried chicken competition around to boot!

X2. Every time I drove by there I would wonder who thought that was just a swell location. :tdown:

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    X2. Every time I drove by there I would wonder who thought that was just a swell location. :tdown:

At least they changed the sign from "Lunch All Day" (which seemed to regularly bait people into doing a confused slow-drive around the building) to "Hey, go check out our newly renovated BK in Mt. Airy!"

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown

Yeah I guess, but ever since the Woodfield Road bypass opened Main Street lost a lot of traffic. If it wasn’t for the Safeway gas station I think Main Street would be even less traveled. The BK was a pita getting in or out but at least it had a back way out. KFC/TB never did and I never understood why they didn’t connect to the Weis parking lot.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Stopped by there a couple weeks ago. Nice guys, some decent surplus, but they're definitely gonna need to build up their inventory. One thing that shocked me was the ammo prices. Not even kidding, $16 for a 20 round box of Federal American Eagle XM193. I'm hoping prices level out once they establish themselves, assuming they survive.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I'm hoping prices level out once they establish themselves, assuming they survive.

Stopped by tonight myself. Nice folks for sure. Saw a good mix of hunting rifles and shotguns with some decent surplus pieces as well (VZ 58/2008 with OG beaver barf furniture, Baikal civilian export mak, two P38/P01s, etc.) Ammo was on sale. Picked up Sapsan (Ulyanovsk) JHP 7.62x39 for what feels like cheap to me, but probably isn't (I've been shooting hard to find/low production stuff for a while now).

Still, I'd rather pay a bit more and not give my money to wally-world or some other faceless corporate juggernaut and support a LGS where we really need one.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Stopped by tonight myself. ... Ammo was on sale. Picked up Sapsan (Ulyanovsk) JHP 7.62x39 for what feels like cheap to me, but probably isn't (I've been shooting hard to find/low production stuff for a while now).

The Ulyanovsk JHP is likely the 8M3 that's been selling out online after the El Paso shooting (mentioned in the shooter's manifesto as what he would be using).

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    The Ulyanovsk JHP is likely the 8M3 that's been selling out online after the El Paso shooting (mentioned in the shooter's manifesto as what he would be using).

Yep, that's what it is.

It's their version of a JHP hunting round. Which is likely what I'm going to use it for if my incoming SKS is accurate enough. Will likely use it for deer in WV.

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    Stopped there earlier today.

They have some nice C&R handguns (or close enough to be C&R)

Walther P-1 (Post-war production of P-38 for West German Military and Commercial Market)
    1944 manufacture P-38 for approx $750~

Polish Radom in 9x18 Makarov
    Baikal IJ-70 in 9x18 Makarov

and on the shelf was some actual surplus 7.62 Tokarev ammo (sadly, corrosive)

I didn't buy anything because I'm in a money crunch from earlier purchases this year :sad53:

Some suggestions:

1.) Build up an online presence through the following locations:

A.) Get your store into Google Maps, a lot of people find places now by punching in "gun store" into google maps on their phones.

B.) Get a Facebook Page to let people know you exist.

C.) Try to get into Industry Partners on MDShooters and start posting a brief listing of what you have. MDShooters moves stuff :)

2.) Try and locate some stuff like 80% lowers -- take advantage of your physical location to resell stuff at a slight markup, but lower than the typical $80-$90 going rate for those 80%s at local gun shows.

4.) Look on the global surplus market, both for clothing and equipment to fill out your storefront -- Ranger Surplus downtown in Rockville really does not do much surplus anymore, so you have an opportunity there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom