• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Hey folks, so I've been itching for a new project, and I think I want to build a 10/22 from scratch. From what I can tell, it's not particularly difficult, just getting all the parts will probably take the longest.

Has anyone here built one with a stripped receiver from the ground up, or would I be better off buying a stock carbine and just replacing parts? I haven't noticed any stripped 10/22 receivers at United or anything, so I imagine I'd have to order one and have it shipped in, but then there's transfer fees, all that. Seems like buying a stock carbine would be less expensive, but I'll end up with some spare parts that'll never get used. Any wisdom imparted would be most appreciated!

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    I might look into an 80% 10/22 build at this point so you can skip the FFL transfer. Otherwise, I would start w a KIDD or another aftermarket 10/22 reciever as the tolerances are tighter. Itll be more expensive but you'll get all the parts you want and not have a ton laying around afterwards.

For the cheapest build, find a used 10/22 and go from there. Probably most of the people here have done that. My 10/22 only has parts of the trigger and the receiver as stock items at this point lol

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    I don’t know any gun owners who doesn’t have spare parts/new takeoffs! It’s just human nature to want to make what we own better or fit us better. That being said I would buy a standard 10/22 new or used and build it the way you want it!

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    I might look into an 80% 10/22 build at this point so you can skip the FFL transfer. Otherwise, I would start w a KIDD or another aftermarket 10/22 reciever as the tolerances are tighter. Itll be more expensive but you'll get all the parts you want and not have a ton laying around afterwards.

For the cheapest build, find a used 10/22 and go from there. Probably most of the people here have done that. My 10/22 only has parts of the trigger and the receiver as stock items at this point lol

I'd looked at the KIDD receivers, but they're a bit out of my price range, unfortunately. And with the stock I'm planning on using, they actually won't fit right. :( They're really nice, though!

I don’t know any gun owners who doesn’t have spare parts/new takeoffs! It’s just human nature to want to make what we own better or fit us better. That being said I would buy a standard 10/22 new or used and build it the way you want it!

All right, so I'm guessing the best move is to just buy a stock carbine. I've already got a 10/22 Takedown, but I really wanted to put one together myself. That said, I'm trying to be good and actually keep to my budget this year, so... :shrug:

Thanks for the quick replies and info, guys. On that note, MD bullpup law is it has to have a OAL of 29", right? Can anyone recommend a 20" fluted threaded .920 barrel? I was looking at McGowen to order a custom barrel, but I wanted to see what other options there are first. Green Mountain's looks good, but it's not threaded. :facepalm:

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Thanks for the quick replies and info, guys. On that note, MD bullpup law is it has to have a OAL of 29", right? Can anyone recommend a 20" fluted threaded .920 barrel? I was looking at McGowen to order a custom barrel, but I wanted to see what other options there are first. Green Mountain's looks good, but it's not threaded. :facepalm:

There is no minimum OAL for rimfire

I am currently looking at the Kidd 20" tapered bull barrel. 20" bull fluted and threaded is hard to come by.

https://www.kiddinnovativedesign.com/KIDD-22LR-Black-Tapered-Rifle-Bull-Barrel-_p_375.html

Since I like doing 80%s I looked into this. Between the jig and tooling required and the cost of parts the first rifle would end up being nearly double the cost of a new one...SO I never did one. I already own 2 and between those and my other 22LR rifles I have enough.

There are a LOT of custom parts available. If I want a custom 10/22 I will probably just use the receiver from one of mine.

Taco

Jan 23, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Depending on how many parts you plan on replacing, it might not be cheaper to buy a complete 10/22. I got a Brownells receiver on sale for around $60 (plus FFL fee). Maybe I just got lucky, but everything fit nice and tights when I put it together (Kidd, Volquartsen, and Ruger parts in a Magpul stock). Putting a 10/22 together is super easy. If you're not in a hurry, you can get the exact parts you want when you find them cheap and then not have any extra parts laying around that you'll honestly never use. Plus, if you want any stock Ruger parts, tons of people have extra parts laying around that they'll likely sell you for cheap.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Brownells has BRN-22" stripped receivers for about $100 with or without a rail, and takedown models, and a lot of parts for them too. Unless there is a model out there where the included parts you intend to use saves you money, just get a stripped receiver, especially if you intend to build a braced pistol or something cool.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Like all things, start with what you want the 10/22 to do and a budget. For about $2k you can get a beautiful tack driver worthy of the envy of all others on the line straight from Kidd, but as you said, probably not within your budget.

A stock 10/22 with a Kidd barrel, a good trigger job, and most importantly good ammunition will produce very good accuracy. For a trigger job you can pick up a few parts from Kidd and do it yourself, or send your trigger pack out to Brimstone http://brimstonegunsmithing.com/ruger-10-22/ If you shoot Remington bucket-o-bullets, you will be very hard pressed to get accuracy or consistency. Wolf, Lapua, Eley, Federal Gold Match are all much more expensive than your run of the mill bulk packs, but they are made with a much greater degree of quality control and are therefore much more consistent.

One of the nicest and simplest modification I can suggest for any stock 10/22 is drilling the rear of the receiver to allow cleaning of your barrel from the chamber to the muzzle. Most aftermarket receivers will come with this hole. These receivers are aluminum and it doesn't take much effort for a decent drill bit to make a clean hole.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    I have built a few 10/22s from bare receivers - it is fun to do.

If you don't want to go the Kidd route (cost) or the Brownells route (some reported incompatibility and quality issues in reviews), you can get takeoff Ruger factory (and Tactical Innovations) receivers here: S&P Outfitters

I think this is the best deal in terms of cost.

S&P also has all the parts to finish your build - I usually then shop for the best prices for the parts to complete it or use take off parts from other builds.

Still have to transfer them through an FFL but the rifle receivers (non Charger) are cash and carry.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I did a super econo-build. A woodstock standard carbine rental rescue hound from an indoor range. Sold the standard barrel for $30 so that put at $100 for the carbine. A virtually new take off heavy Ruger barrel for $75. Inletted the wood stock, bedded the receiver area and forend pressure pad. Rough finished the stock. Epoxy for the bedding, sand paper, sealer, stain and finish. Bimbo, econo-shooter. Right around $200

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=216371

duckslayer

Feb 3, 2009
    southern dorchester county
    I love my Kidd ! I did by the barreled action and fit it in a Boyd’s stock. The next one I think I’ll build from a receiver. I just didn’t see the point in not having them assemble the first one because they had all the parts I wanted. It was probably cheaper that way as well

duckslayer

Feb 3, 2009
    southern dorchester county
    Here she is!!

Attachments

• 1F039CD2-7D6D-4A5D-BB4E-62F67AEF8C23.jpg
      1F039CD2-7D6D-4A5D-BB4E-62F67AEF8C23.jpg
      51.8 KB · Views: 285

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members