• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Donald1818

Aug 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    I know that it has been said here, many times b4, but.

I think that the reason that I am here is to see what others are doing, or not doing, upon various topics.

maybe something that you have been doing for years, I had never thought of doing b4.

these kinds of topics that we talk about, for mainstream persons, are very very different and strange sounding. they have never been encouraged to think in any other direction than, 'face forward and don't turn around in line".

everyone's individual reasons for doing X as opposed to Y or Z will slightly differ. even for US persons here on this site.

like, if I offer up the idea of keeping a grand of cash at home, But then someone else is worried about getting robbed or losing it in a fire. we'll....its not an opposing thought, its a thought that needs to be teased out further. i am OK with keeping a grand at my house because i already have a security process in place. (a good place to hide it, a safe, a favorite "midnight gardening" spot in the back yard, whatever!)

logic and theory strings like this can go on forever, lets not bash each other for trying to come together and think upon these things with one another.

I am thankful for this thread, i have learned a ton of new and interesting things from all of you.

Thanks
    D:cool:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    IF you go with Fiat currency, how much do you keep in Euros, Pound Sterling and Deutsche Marks?

Yes, I keep Euros in the safe, because I travel. I also keep other currencies, for the same reason. That way I do not have to worry about waiting for the foreign currency to arrive from my local bank.

However, Duetche Marks are now worthless, since the time period to cache them in for euros has past. I do have a couple around from days gone by...

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    @Donald

We tend to get our exercise from jumping to conclusions, beating dead horses and chasing each other’s tails

You’re gonna have to start thinking differently if you want to fit in around here.:sad20::sad20::D

Truth be told, I welcome somebody who understands the value of community and the potential leverage of crowd sourcing. You are not alone. There’s many great folks who contribute quite positively. You also seem to be less egotistical than some of our members whose idea or thought is always the best and yours is always something less... Please pardon them their insecurity and understand they just weren’t raised right.

Keep on posting D.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    A lot of businesses I deal with prefer cash. I guess less processing fees so they give me a discount.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    *****These “businesses” you speak of that prefer cash wouldn’t happen to be solely female owned “businesses” would they??... :innocent0

Speaking of that I have an awesome idea that could become a business !

Yes, I keep Euros in the safe, because I travel. I also keep other currencies, for the same reason. That way I do not have to worry about waiting for the foreign currency to arrive from my local bank.

However, Duetche Marks are now worthless, since the time period to cache them in for euros has past. I do have a couple around from days gone by...

I have a stack of Vampire Notes in my man cave.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    I usually keep something on hand, like anything it fluctuates but a few $k will never go bad last I checked.. Like ammo its better to have and not need than not have and need.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    IF you go with Fiat currency, how much do you keep in Euros, Pound Sterling and Deutsche Marks?

Hmm, NONE in Deutsche Marks, since they switched to the Euro in mid to late 2001.

:D

I do have some Euro and Pounds. And Hong Kong Dollars, and a few other currencies.

But I travel internationally for work a lot, and those currencies I will use as I transit those countries. Not for US purposes.

I figure if the SHTF, no foreign currency will be worth anything (unless you old Krugerrands, which were gold).

And US currency will be of limited value, except maybe older quarters and dimes, that were silver.

I agree that ammo and food will be the currency of the realm at that point

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

I just get local currency out of an ATM when I arrive.

I do keep common currencies (Euro, Pounds, HK Dollars, Korean Won, etc), as I transit those places fairly often, so will use it. Others, I try to get near zero before I depart. No one wants Nepalese currency. :D

Best way I have found to do this is pay part of my hotel bill in cash. And only keep cab fare to the airport, if needed.

I do have some out of date currency. Those that I was not able to get rid or, or I made a mistake in calculations. Or, they changed the currency. Either by new bills (I have a 5 and 10 pound note that are no longer accepted) or they revalued and replaced the currency (old versus new Turkish lira).

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I travel internationally for work

This thread reminded me of an upcoming trip, where I should order more Euros to cover things like cab fare and such.

The Travelex website is no longer taking orders over the internet from the US or Canada! No more ordering foreign currency from your bank or AAA, either.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also, if the loss of a thousand or so in cash from a fire devastates your finances, maybe you need to take a closer look at your finances. And fix them.

It would hurt to lose it, but I would not be wondering if I would lose my house or not be able to eat from that loss.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    Also, if the loss of a thousand or so in cash from a fire devastates your finances, maybe you need to take a closer look at your finances. And fix them.

It would hurt to lose it, but I would not be wondering if I would lose my house or not be able to eat from that loss.

Why is everyone worried about there money burning up , There's these things called fireproof safe's and fireproof lock boxes ,

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I myself have most money in the bank and also other there like 401K . I have talked to several people like bank managers and investment managers. They also keep plenty of cash on hand just in case. With all that is happening lately we have no certainty these days. Banks could even go under and there is all your money. Like the old saying
    " Dont put all your eggs in one basket"

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom