Which generation Glock? Does it really mean squat?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    There's some minor differences but I doubt it really matters in terms of reliability or longevity. Pick the one that fits you best. I like Gen 3 myself, or maybe that's just because that's what was current when I got them. The finger grooves fit me just fine. I've read stories of several with ridiculous round counts with no real maintenance. I don't think there's much chance of getting a "bad" one.

I'm not a big fan of Glock triggers but that's the nature of the beast. They do go bang every time, and that's the important thing.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I have one I paid $2k for and could easily get $3500-$4000. The fact that only 50 exist helps.

Eh, your money. Sounds like a good investment.

I wasn't judging the people who buy them, just the machine itself.

My Glock 19 gen 4 is cheap, simple and reliable. And if I ever have to use it to legally defend myself I won't cry when the police take it for evidence and then "accidentally" melt it down.

FTJoe

Aug 27, 2012
    SOMD
    I think where GEN4 & GEN5 shine is their friendliness to left-handed shooters. GEN4 allowed the magazine release to be moved to the RH side of the gun. GEN5 also comes with ambidextrous slide stop levers.
    GEN5 also come in a MOS configuration where the slide is cut out allowing optics to be mounted more easily. if no optics, then the blank-off place is installed and looks like a "normal" glock slide.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Does anyone in general object to police trade in Glocks? Any reason to not want one? I feel they'd be shot more than trade in rifles and shotguns. Used may be my way in to the market to save me a few schekles.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    The Gen5 has an improved "marksman" barrel, but I'd be fine with Gen4 if that's all I could get.

I think they only keep Gen3 around because of the CA roster. I wouldn't buy one unless it was an incredible deal.

Unless you're collecting, stick with Gen4 or 5.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Go to Glocktalk an read around. Go to a range an shoot your buddies Glock or rent one.

If your find a Gen 1 Glock 19 cheap (less then 1K) BUY it! That would be a pebble frame Gen 1 not what asshats call a Gen 1 the Gen 2 checker frame. Then Gen 1 G17L's with the ported barrel. Then any Gen 2 Comp barrel guns.....

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I’ve bought 3 police trade in handguns, though, not Glocks. All three were excellent mechanically. One perfect inside and out.

I agree with others, handle as many of the Gens and models as you need to find one that fits you. As to desireability, collectibilty was inevitable given the popularity of Glocks. For me they are not the cats meow. I owned one, never shot it before I sold it. Still have the second, Gen 4 17. Shot it 5 or 6 times and since has been just using up real estate at my residence.

Too much grip angle, too small small trigger opening, blocky. I've addressed the trigger with just a wee bit of work. Its a striker fired gun so the trigger will always be what it is...one can only improve it or accept it as is on their particular specimen.

But it works. A Glock is very good at being a Glock.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Does anyone in general object to police trade in Glocks? Any reason to not want one? I feel they'd be shot more than trade in rifles and shotguns. Used may be my way in to the market to save me a few schekles.

I don't, currently have three of them. Picked up the first (.40) back in 2013 because I could still get fairly cheap ammo for it and shot that until the craziness subsided.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

*****I have several of them, almost all of them Gen 3, except one Gen 4. They looked practically new with no noticeable wear in the magwell, or barrel, or trigger area. One had a very slight amount of holster wear but it was clearly not used much as a shooter.

At a cost of $300 each, and coming with it's own Tupperware container and a couple of 10 round mags I though it was a good value. I have lots of standard capacity mags already.

Plenty of people now would be happy to pay that much for a like new Glock at this time, given the current political climate.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    *****I have several of them, almost all of them Gen 3, except one Gen 4. They looked practically new with no noticeable wear in the magwell, or barrel, or trigger area. One had a very slight amount of holster wear but it was clearly not used much as a shooter.

At a cost of $300 each, and coming with it's own Tupperware container and a couple of 10 round mags I though it was a good value. I have lots of standard capacity mags already.

Plenty of people now would be happy to pay that much for a like new Glock at this time, given the current political climate.

That'd be a great price to pay for sure

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Go to Glocktalk an read around. Go to a range an shoot your buddies Glock or rent one.

If your find a Gen 1 Glock 19 cheap (less then 1K) BUY it! That would be a pebble frame Gen 1 not what asshats call a Gen 1 the Gen 2 checker frame. Then Gen 1 G17L's with the ported barrel. Then any Gen 2 Comp barrel guns.....

I have a handful of 1s. I have a shooter I’d sell for $1k.

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    My wife wants a gen 3 Glock 23. She tried a gen 4 and reported that it didn’t feel the same as the gen 3. Unfortunately we didn’t have them side by side to compare. Are the grips/finger grooves different between the two? I understand that the 4 has a replaceable back strap. My wife thought the finger groove placement may have been different.

lkenefic

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    My wife wants a gen 3 Glock 23. She tried a gen 4 and reported that it didn’t feel the same as the gen 3. Unfortunately we didn’t have them side by side to compare. Are the grips/finger grooves different between the two? I understand that the 4 has a replaceable back strap. My wife thought the finger groove placement may have been different.

My 19 Gen 4 came with three different grip inserts... they fit my grown-man hands as well as my daughter's hands too. I've not found the finger grooves to be all that distracting...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It can be your hand size and how it fits. Some people did not like gen 3 and 4 I believe

My gen 3 fits my hand perfectly

I updated the ejector myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My gen 3 17 liked to throw brass in to my face. Swapped with a gen 4 extractor. Works perfectly now.

Gen 3 has more parts available if you are going to monkey with it (I do). More commonality across the platforms and calibers since some aren’t made in gen 4/5.

Gen 3 fits my hand great for the 17 and 21. Haven’t tried a gen 4/5 or a SF to be honest.

Gen 3 is most common.

That’s about all I can think of. I’ll be honest that I am a Glock fanboi. Unless you really mess something up, they just work. Robust. Hard to get them to stop working. Parts are everywhere. Prices are reasonable to inexpensive (but not cheap). Can go as mild to wild with one as you want.

They are the AR-15 of the pistol world.

I like a good 1911 more. But a 1911 is 7-8 rounds and SA (9 if you get a 9mm 1911). Also can be a bit more temperamental and not as resistant to adverse operating conditions. Maybe more aftermarket, but not as $ conscious unless going real low end. And then expect a real low end experience.

IMHO for me a 1911 is more of a range toy and a display or statement piece. A Glock is the utility gun.

PS I am not casting judgement on those who choose to carry a 1911. What you carry is as much about personal choices. Just not for me as a carry/service gun.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I've handled and shot a LOT of Glock pistols, over the years.

To me, the Gen3 is the best of the bunch.
    Why???

The metal in the slide, where the RSA mates up to the slide.
    There is more 'steel' at the end of the slide.

The RSA on the Gen4 pistols is larger in diameter, so, the hole in the end of the slide has to be larger, and there is less steel on the bottom of the hole.

I've seen G19 Gen4 and G23 Gen4 slides BREAK at that point. (Sorry, I don't have pics!)

I'll stay with Gen3. Thank you very much.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I'm not sure I like the idea of finger grooves. Looks like you have to go back to Gen 2 to get away from them. Guess I need to handle some

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I'm not sure I like the idea of finger grooves. Looks like you have to go back to Gen 2 to get away from them. Guess I need to handle some

I was skeptical. Just happens at least on the full size glocks and the fat glocks they line up very well with my hands.

I think I handled a G19 before (I don’t own one) and I think I remember it also fit well.

Some other guns finger grooves do not fit well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom