• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    This is not a dig at Alien Gear, because there are plenty of other manufacturers out there that have similar designs.

I also realize that some people are not fans of this design, so be it.

Just a reminder to check the screws on these types of holsters occasionally. I learned a lesson, fortunately without consequences, this weekend.

Went to go pick up some dinner after coming back to town from the cabin and had my firearm in an Alien Gear OWB holster that has been extremely comfortable when carrying some of my larger guns.

Was walking back down the hill to the house after having picked up the grub and noticed something wasn't quite right. Felt down and realized that the holster was hanging on only be the back loop because one of the screws had worked its way out and come away from the belt. Would have been very inconvenient to dump the gun on to the floor of the restaurant.

Went back through all of my holsters when I got home today and noticed that a couple were either loose or had worked their way out.

All of that is taken care of now, and I'm going to remember to keep an eye on them.

drickster

Sep 22, 2020
    Baltimore
    Thanks for the heads up! +1 on the loctite. I like blue for those types of situations.

On a side note, I clicked on a random holster on FB and am now getting inundated with different adds. I’m pretty new to all this so I have no idea what’s junk yet. It’s nice to hear a real thought on their holsters

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Good point. Things move and shift. I looked down one evening and my Bianchi shoulder holster had worked one loop loose and so my 1911 was pretty much hanging outside my jacket.

All designs need to be checked from time to time. Screw, stitches, etc can all move or come loose.

Glad it wasn't a bad scene for ya!

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Don’t need to check screws on leather pancake holsters

Attachments

• BB0AE3C1-4830-4703-8599-B2A3B1A81F52.jpeg
      BB0AE3C1-4830-4703-8599-B2A3B1A81F52.jpeg
      30.6 KB · Views: 600

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

I've always liked the leather/kydex hybrids.

I have some CompTac IWB holsters that have been 100%.

I'm still only about 90% in love with the Alien Gears, but for the price and as little as I use them right now, it was more important to get holsters for all of my handguns.

I also have a Safariland duty holster with the ALS that is the bee's knees, but it's virtually impossible to carry concealed. I like it for working around the Undisclosed Location because it's super secure while I'm out in the woods.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

I'm still only about 90% in love with the Alien Gears, but for the price and as little as I use them right now, it was more important to get holsters for all of my handguns.

I also have a Safariland duty holster with the ALS that is the bee's knees, but it's virtually impossible to carry concealed. I like it for working around the Undisclosed Location because it's super secure while I'm out in the woods.

I tried and couldn’t get into it.

I stop at the grocery store on my way home with my duty gun 3 times a week. PS I’m not in uniform when i do this. One thing I’ve noticed is no one else notices.

We think they do
    We feel like they do
    We assume they do

They don’t

Now that said everyone likes different chit

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    Thanks Norton,
    One thing I love about this site is that so many are openly willing to share the burps in life so we can learn without having the negative consequences.

Thanks again everyone

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

I stop at the grocery store on my way home with my duty gun 3 times a week. PS I’m not in uniform when i do this. One thing I’ve noticed is no one else notices.

We think they do
    We feel like they do
    We assume they do

They don’t

Totally get that point about us thinking it sticks out more than we think it does.

Some time ago, I was hanging at a BBQ shack in WVa with the parents and sitting at a picnic table outside.

Had my 1911 in a CompTac Minotaur with just a t-shirt and shorts.

Three troopers pulled up for lunch and sat off to our right and I swear I felt like the one old dog of a trooper had his eyes on my right hip the whole time, which he might have.

That being said, that Safariland holster is an absolute cinderblock and it hangs quite low. But, I do love it for how I use it in the woods.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Thanks Norton,
    One thing I love about this site is that so many are openly willing to share the burps in life so we can learn without having the negative consequences.

Thanks again everyone

I learned that 5 years ago. A drop of blue Loctite cured the problem.

I have no shame on the first point. I make 100 mistakes every single day, but am willing to address them and correct them.

I'm going to take a morning one day while the weather sucks and go back through all of them and check the retention and loctite them with some blue.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    I actually was thinking about the other members paying the consequences of something bad happening not implying there should be any shame for this occurring.
    My apologies if it came of incorrectly.

Thanks

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I actually was thinking about the other members paying the consequences of something bad happening not implying there should be any shame for this occurring.
    My apologies if it came of incorrectly.

Thanks

Nope, not at all. Totally saw where you were going. :thumbsup:

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

This. I've tried to like Alien Gear, Crossbreed and others and still find myself going back to dead horse or cow.

We think they do
    We feel like they do
    We assume they do

They don’t

And this, sort of. The guy who owns the business in the Suite next to me has noticed which sparked a convo about how he could obtain a carry permit. As far as the gen pop I've never been swatted or had some Karen freak out.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville

I really want to get one of these:

https://www.blackarchholsters.com/products/protos-m

Seems it addresses the major complaint of hybrid, while providing more comfort that kydex alone.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I was getting out of a vehicle at an out of town work site when I felt my holster shift. It's a Raven Concealment kydex belt holster. I couldn't find the screw that fell out so we used some zip ties from the workshop to hold it together until I could get home and get the replacement hardware. Not having your holster exactly where you expect it to be is an oh crap moment for sure.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

Nope, but you've gotta make sure it's not worn in a way that it can get into the trigger guard. Some designs allow for worn leather to bend in to the trigger guard instead of staying open. Leather is extremely comfortable though. It's good to regularly inspect all gear you trust your life to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom