• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    It's been out well over a year. They used a single stack AR15 mag/magwell though :( I have a prototype I made chambering from quasi-doube-stack AR10 mags. Need to ge back to that project...

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Why use a more expensive rimless custom S&W500 instead of the battle-proven .50BMG?
    You can't feed 50BMG through an AR10 frame. A semi-auto 500AM is about 3x cheaper than a semi-auto BMG. DIY is 50x cheaper.

S&W500 and 500AM are very expensive rounds if you buy commercial. They are pretty cheap to reload though. I'm already geared up to reload 500S&W so 500AM will take no additional parts/effort (sime dies/primers/poweder, only uses a different shell plate holder.)

I bought one box of commercial 500AM to verify dimensions and to test with. It really is just 500S&W w/ the rim machined off and the extractor groove cut (can be done in one lathe operation.) Brass is available for AM now, but you could make it from S&W if it ever disappeared. Since I'm doing a DIY, I'd only be out a $100 barrel blank and modifying a $15 steel mag if I ever chose to ditch the caliber.

I was reminded last week I still need to buy a Bowers VERS50 suppressor...

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    S&W500 and 500AM are very expensive rounds if you buy commercial. They are pretty cheap to reload though. I'm already geared up to reload 500S&W so 500AM will take no additional parts/effort (sime dies/primers/powder, only uses a different shell plate holder.)

I make the standard .500 S&W rounds for a $1.22 each.

Attachments

• Reload Savings.xlsx
      6.3 KB · Views: 78

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Why aren’t you doing Form 1 cans?

I do on some things that need custom. Have 77/22 and CZ Evo integrals I'm working on w/ approved stamps (need to go get the tubes engraved.) But some things aren't worth fooling with IMO. Takes a thick tube to make the required hoop strength for a 500 suppressor. 500AM/500S&W out of rifle barrels are 50% more energy than 308. Similar to 300 Win mag or 1/4 50BMG. That's something I just don't want to be fooling with. By the time I design it and track down the necessary parts I'd be close to what a commercial one costs. I'll just buy the Bowers w/a stainless stack and be done w/ it. I don't have tons of time either, thus the many long running projects. I'd rather spend the extra couple hundred on a suppressor I can simply buy vs a double-stack 500AM which I can't and have to make.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I can do a 440gr w/ gas check for $0.55ea. The big calibers are where you can save a lot of $ reloading.

Yes in deed, I just bought 300 count of .500 350 grain Berry's cost me 202.00 no tax and free shipping.

Although, I shoot the .500 S&W from a Magnum Research revolver group 4 inches at 50 yards with open sites, looking at a single shot rifle saw one I liked.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yes in deed, I just bought 300 count of .500 350 grain Berry's cost me 202.00 no tax and free shipping.

Although, I shoot the .500 S&W from a Magnum Research revolver group 4 inches at 50 yards with open sites, looking at a single shot rifle saw one I liked.
    Savings? In respect to what?

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Savings? In respect to what?

Savings in respect to not paying the gouging prices from third party resellers both local and on line resellers, Berry's sells direct from their factory and has not raised their prices, did not pay tax or shipping.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Might want to look into Matt's bullets for the 500. 440gr GC are $0.416 ea delivered. Berry's are $0.673, over 60% more. Maybe Berry's didn't raise prices but pre-craziness that's what you could buy the much better jacketed Hornady 350gr XTP for! ($33/50=$0.66ea+ship) Matt's has a wider selection too. 15 bullets from 325gr to 700gr (vs 2)
    https://www.mattsbullets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=311

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Might want to look into Matt's bullets for the 500. 440gr GC are $0.416 ea delivered. Berry's are $0.673, over 60% more. Maybe Berry's didn't raise prices but pre-craziness that's what you could buy the much better jacketed Hornady 350gr XTP for! ($33/50=$0.66ea+ship) Matt's has a wider selection too. 15 bullets from 325gr to 700gr (vs 2)
    https://www.mattsbullets.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=311

Thanks for the link I will check them out. IT is always good to have another supplier and will check if they are in stock. That seems to be the largest problem finding what you want in stock and not having to settle. I have a good amount of the 350 FTP and the 300 FTX. Berry's has been a long time go to I use to buy Rainier before they went out of business. Still have hundreds of .500 and 45/70 bullets. I was lucky, saw this coming in February and was able to stock up on primers, powders and brass. My go to for brass was Starline but like everyone else they are out of stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom