• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Has anyone heard of someone loosing their 2a rights is receiving SSI payments for disability. I thought I heard something a few years ago, but like a person that listens to the news I hear alot of threatening things.

I have a back injury, I have been taking care of my elderly parents and havent worked a full time in years.

thank you.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Has anyone heard of someone loosing their 2a rights is receiving SSI payments for disability. I thought I heard something a few years ago, but like a person that listens to the news I hear alot of threatening things.

I have a back injury, I have been taking care of my elderly parents and havent worked a full time in years.

thank you.

My recollection is that the issue was based on how disabled the person claimed to be. Some people claimed that they were so disabled that they could not manage their own finances and needed someone else to do that. The government claimed that because they were so disabled that they should not be able to own a firearm.

If you are able to take care of someone else, I don't think this issue would apply.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My recollection is that the issue was based on how disabled the person claimed to be. Some people claimed that they were so disabled that they could not manage their own finances and needed someone else to do that. The government claimed that because they were so disabled that they should not be able to own a firearm.

If you are able to take care of someone else, I don't think this issue would apply.

Close enough to be considered correct.

It was for both VA and SSA benefits.

But that said, it wasn't simply if you had someone managing your benefits, it was if someone was managing your benefits and you had certain categorizations of disabilities.

Basically it would have applied to individuals who really were pretty profoundly disabled. Could some of the folks in that category been perfectly safe owning guns? Absolutely. Most wouldn't (IE things like profound brain damage). Most wouldn't be safe driving a car or even trying to cross the street themselves or using a bathroom without assistance. Might not want them using a can opener.

It wasn't for people who had someone managing their benefits because, say, they were illiterate or choose someone to manage them (for example, "well my wife takes care of all of that stuff and I don't want to manage it. So can you please put her as my representative payee?"

And it was never implemented, it got to about the 2yd line before the regulations were tossed.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    What it was tied to was whether or not there was a custodian on the account. If you were not mentally capable enough to manage your own SSI-D account and handling of payments, you would have been stripped of your 2A rights because you would have been considered "adjudicated as mentally defective" which would check that box on the 4473.

Now, my cousin, who is totally learning disabled, is able to handle renting an apartment and living on his own. He had childhood leukemia at 2-1/2 years old and the radiation and chemo really took their toll on his brain development. He doesn't use the stove or a toaster because there's a chance he can forget something is in there, so he cooks everything in a microwave, but overall, he takes care of himself pretty well. He gets up time each day, handles his meds each day, takes the bus to work each day, does his own grocery shopping, etc. But he can't handle his finances well enough on his own to have total control of them (he simply can't do the math) so his mom and I are listed as custodians to his SSID and bank accounts. She's the primary, I'm the contingent. The fact that we're on his account to help him if he gets into a complex situation would have stripped him of his 2A rights under the Obama push. Had neither of us been on his account, he wouldn't have had an issue.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    What it was tied to was whether or not there was a custodian on the account. If you were not mentally capable enough to manage your own SSI-D account and handling of payments, you would have been stripped of your 2A rights because you would have been considered "adjudicated as mentally defective" which would check that box on the 4473.

Now, my cousin, who is totally learning disabled, is able to handle renting an apartment and living on his own. He had childhood leukemia at 2-1/2 years old and the radiation and chemo really took their toll on his brain development. He doesn't use the stove or a toaster because there's a chance he can forget something is in there, so he cooks everything in a microwave, but overall, he takes care of himself pretty well. He gets up time each day, handles his meds each day, takes the bus to work each day, does his own grocery shopping, etc. But he can't handle his finances well enough on his own to have total control of them (he simply can't do the math) so his mom and I are listed as custodians to his SSID and bank accounts. She's the primary, I'm the contingent. The fact that we're on his account to help him if he gets into a complex situation would have stripped him of his 2A rights under the Obama push. Had neither of us been on his account, he wouldn't have had an issue.

Likely wouldn’t be if his primary disability listed for benefits is childhood Leukemia. If he met the listing for mental defective (the various disabilities under that umbrella) then he would have been.

I forget the exact numbers off the top of my head as it’s been a few years since that came up. But IIRC about 7-8 million beneficiaries have a representative payee on their account. About 700,000 or so would meet the listing and would have been reported.

Probably could have/should have narrowed it down further, but the vast majority who meet the listing as their primary disability aren’t capable of independent living at all.

Not that it matters a whole lot as it was never implemented or under discussion to attempt to implement it again (that I am aware of).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom