• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The Lyman reloading manual (and others) also have a lot of good info on reloading in the front of the book.

As for components, buy what you can find, and then take a look at the barter thread. There are people who have primers, who are willing to trade.

Some may even be nice enough to trade 100 primers for a powder that the don't really need.

BTW, if you haven't started, PICK UP BRASS. For common calibers, you can pick up enough range brass to get you started and beyond. And even if it is not a caliber you shoot, you can try trading.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    All,
    Thanks for everything provided, darn glad I found MD Shooters! Appears first step is to get some books, done I ordered 1. The ABC's of Reloading, 2. Barnes Reloading, 3. The Beginners guide to Reloading.
    Second step decide what kind of re loader I am going to be. "Mucho mass" or "Small batch perfecto"! Probably somewhere in the middle, but I wont have time restraints.
    Questions asked what calibers.
    9mm pistol rounds and/or .45 ACP FYI I don't currently have a 45. but a 1911, is in my future, it will replace for the most part recreational use of the 9mm, and I have a large qty of 9mm's stocked.
    .223 YES other than one of the 2 above this will be made the most
    30-06 yes many, Side note and project, can I self load, so that each round is interchangeable between the M1 Garand and my Remington model 700 & Winchester model 70,

And that is it currently. Once up and running I will probably try to expand to reload almost all the calibers I have. 22, 38, 357, 44, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 308, shotguns probably only 12 ga. but that's just getting greedy!

Congrats! You are well on your way! Both of your intro books are very helpful. You might also consider a 2nd reloading manual, from one of the larger bullet manufacturers such as Hornady or Sierra. It can make things easier starting out in a variety of ways, not the least of which is that these brands tend to dominate on the shelf availability in times of normal supply. Be aware also that Barnes was recently aquired by Clarus, Sierra's parent company. How these bullet lines merge remains to be seen.

Yes you can, with regard to your '06 question. Primarily your Garand that will require a bit of some special consideration.

22 rimfire is technically reloadable, but differs from your other cartridges mentioned. Becomes a matter of whether or not you think it's worth it. 12ga. "shotshells", should you deem these to be worth your time from a cost standpoint, will require a different press and components than the "metallics" you listed.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    You also have to look at how much you shoot.

If you shoot 500 rounds of pistol a year, a Dillon, which can load up to 1000 rounds per hour, would be overkill.

BUT, if you are really short on available time, the time savings may be worth it for you.

Also, what rounds will your reload? Large magnum rounds need something different than high volume pistol.

My suggestion is typically to start with a quality single stage press. RCBS, Lyman, etc. You will always find times with it is the best tool for the job.

Then start learning, and see where it takes you. And that will point you to the next step.

I started a Lyman kit. No tumbler. And loaded and shot a lot of .45 ACP and .223 with that setup.

Later I got a Dillion 650, and have loaded a LOT of pistol and .223 on that setup. But I still use my single stage for precision rifle rounds and for working up loads.
    I don't think I'd ever want to load rifle on anything but a single stage press, with maybe the exception of 223 - if I ever really get into shooting my ARs, I'm going to want the additional speed of the progressive.

With that said, for the person only shooting 500 rounds a year, even those folks could benefit from a progressive press. It's SO much easier when you realize that every pull of the handle is a completed round of ammunition. I didn't particularly enjoy reloading when I was doing it with a single-stage press. With single stage I did it because it was a means to an end. With progressive It's just nice to be able to see so much more productivity with so much less time.

It's probably a true statement to say that reloaders shoot more many non-reloaders, simply due to costs. Let's say that a person is shooting 500 rounds/year but they don't reload. I'd bet they go to the range MUCH more once they start reloading. I know I did. I was no longer beholden to the whims of ammo pricing, and when I first started reloading, the costs per box were drastically different than if I had purchased them. I felt like it gave me the freedom to shoot as much as I wanted.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    here's my list that got me started with .223.

redding t7 turret press $337.00 ordered
    wilson trimmer $163.00 ordered
    tray $8.00 ordered
    rcbs matchmaster seater die .223 $114.00 ordered midway
    redding full length sizing die small base .223 $51.00 ordered midway
    lyman tumbler $66.00 ordered
    chargemaster lite elec trickler scale $250.00 ordered brownells
    wilson trimmer case holder $11.00 ordered midway

sierra rifle reloading dvd $33.00 back in stock notification
    sierra manual $37.00 ordered midway
    jp case gauge .223 $37.00 ordered
    lyman case lube kit $24.00 ordered midway

redding case holder #10 $15.00 ordered midway

chamfering tool $19.00 ordered
    primer pocket cleaner $30.00 ordered

$1,195.00

of course this doesn't include primers, powder, bullets, casings (or range pickup), etc etc etc
    already have a micrometer

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It's cliche , because it's true : As much or as little as you wish to spend . From under $100 to multi thousand $ .

But seriously , Primers are the limiting factor . If you don't already have a stack , you won't for a year- ish ( I used to hear a year from my sources 6 months ago , now I'm hearing a year real time .) Most of my previous sources are now totally dry , except for those rationing their last cpl bricks 100 to customer .

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Welcome to the hobby. There are as many opinions on reloading equipment as there are reloaders.
    Low cost low volume, Lee Loader. $30 and a hammer and you can reload whatever calibers are available.
    The absolute minimum I would suggest is the Lee hand press. That plus a set of dies and consumables and you can begin experimenting

My first setup, which I am still using, Lee Classic Turrett press. Set up a turret for each caliber and just plug in a new turret to change calibers.

First step, get several books and read. I have Lyman, Lee, and Hornady. Lee has a nice conversational discussion of the basic process for newbies. Pick the best tools you can afford. For pistol calibers, go for the 4 die set with Carbide inserts.

My present setup
    Lee classic turrett press
    one turret for each caliber
    Auto Drum powder measure
    Safety prime on press primer
    Rockford arsenal electronic powder scale
    Rockford Arsenal vibrating case cleaner
    bag of reptile bedding from petsmart ( ground walnut shells)

As others have said, consumables and reloading equipment are presently really had to get. If I were starting out today, I'd get the books, read and put together a list of items to purchase once the supply gets more reasonable.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I don't think I'd ever want to load rifle on anything but a single stage press, with maybe the exception of 223 - if I ever really get into shooting my ARs, I'm going to want the additional speed of the progressive.

With that said, for the person only shooting 500 rounds a year, even those folks could benefit from a progressive press. It's SO much easier when you realize that every pull of the handle is a completed round of ammunition. I didn't particularly enjoy reloading when I was doing it with a single-stage press. With single stage I did it because it was a means to an end. With progressive It's just nice to be able to see so much more productivity with so much less time.

It's probably a true statement to say that reloaders shoot more many non-reloaders, simply due to costs. Let's say that a person is shooting 500 rounds/year but they don't reload. I'd bet they go to the range MUCH more once they start reloading. I know I did. I was no longer beholden to the whims of ammo pricing, and when I first started reloading, the costs per box were drastically different than if I had purchased them. I felt like it gave me the freedom to shoot as much as I wanted.

My point was, it doesn't make sense to spend $1500+ or a reloading rig that you use for 30 minutes per year.

Some people shoot all they want, so reloading does not mean shooting more. It means shoot cheaper.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    here's my list that got me started with .223.

redding t7 turret press $337.00 ordered
    wilson trimmer $163.00 ordered
    tray $8.00 ordered
    rcbs matchmaster seater die .223 $114.00 ordered midway
    redding full length sizing die small base .223 $51.00 ordered midway
    lyman tumbler $66.00 ordered
    chargemaster lite elec trickler scale $250.00 ordered brownells
    wilson trimmer case holder $11.00 ordered midway

sierra rifle reloading dvd $33.00 back in stock notification
    sierra manual $37.00 ordered midway
    jp case gauge .223 $37.00 ordered
    lyman case lube kit $24.00 ordered midway

redding case holder #10 $15.00 ordered midway

chamfering tool $19.00 ordered
    primer pocket cleaner $30.00 ordered

$1,195.00

of course this doesn't include primers, powder, bullets, casings (or range pickup), etc etc etc
    already have a micrometer

That is NOT a basic starter setup. You can start off without a tumbler.

And you REALLY don't NEED a Chargemaster. :D

And unless you are looking at loading match ammo, a basic set of RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, etc dies will do fine.

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    Good info, I am working on a loose list of items, until I get the books in hand and begin reading. At the Chantilly show I will price/purchase some brass, powder and maybe a few of the tools Davsco listed.
    I have a some brass saved from my time at the range. 9and 223.
    I am excited to get working on this! Maybe in not to long of a time from now( 6 mos), I will be posting a photo or two of my shiny better than new cartridges!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Thanks for the info. please keep it coming. I truly enjoy tracking down the info and making comparisons, asking questions. I have not started the pricing part of my review, assumed I would save some money loading my own, but not the driving factor for getting into it. After reading the suggested sticky link, (Kudos to the author nicely done), I am enjoying searching and reading about the Dillon progressive press.
    But WOW, that's a lot of money, for primers! I may take some additional time to put together my shopping list!
    Take a look at the Dillon thread that is a sticky. There should be a YT video in it still. Watch the video, I cut the guy loose after he saw me run about 20 rounds off, and he'd never used a Dillon before. All the info on a Dillon 550 is in that sticky thread.

Thanks for the kudos.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Good info, I am working on a loose list of items, until I get the books in hand and begin reading. At the Chantilly show I will price/purchase some brass, powder and maybe a few of the tools Davsco listed.
    I am excited to get working on this! Maybe in not to long of a time from now( 6 mos), I will be posting a photo or two of my shiny better than new cartridges!
    You'll need more brass than that. For many years now, I've picked up all my brass and scrounged as much brass as I can at the range. Still don't have enough.

For your reloading area, I'd recommend the bread racks from Costco, to use for storage of components and tools. A few members have seen my organization and saw the OCD in how everything is labeled and stored in the clear (and cheap) Sterilite containers from Walmart. I kinda went a bit neurotic with organizing everything, but it is worth it in the end, knowing where everything is, without going through every box or trying to remember which box I put _____ in to.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    My point was, it doesn't make sense to spend $1500+ or a reloading rig that you use for 30 minutes per year.

Some people shoot all they want, so reloading does not mean shooting more. It means shoot cheaper.
    I tend to agree, but there are people with more money than sense. Recently a guy started a thread talking about how he'd just gotten into reloading, was only 20 rounds in, and had invested in a Chargemaster. My mind was kind of blown because a Chargemaster costs 3x what my entire initial setup cost. (And my wife thought I was spending too much)

I'm not sure I actually "need" the Dillon 550 I've got. There have been entire years where I literally didn't get to the range even a single time. Conversely, there have been years where I get to the range all time time and burn through several thousand rounds.

I "could" get by just fine with a single stage setup, but I can tell you that I appreciate the Dillon every time I pull the handle, and to me it makes the time spent at the bench reloading worthwhile.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    True, but each person has to consider their situation.

Sure, if you have the cash, starting with a Dillon based setup is great.

But for most people, who don't shoot that much, it is overkill.

When I got my Dillon, I was getting into USPSA shooting. So it paid for itself. Quickly.

I also have a Chargemaster. It is great. But I load several hundred precision rifle rounds at a time. If was doing under a hundred, a measure (even a Lee scoop) and a trickler would work well and be a LOT cheaper.

But that is why I recommend a single stage to get started. Inexpensive. And you will have uses for it for the rest of your reloading career. It may be all you need. Or it can show you where you should go for YOUR situation.

IronDuck

MDS Supporter
    Jan 11, 2021
    Frederick ish MD
    I like the idea of the clear boxes, I try to arrange everything by shelf, so I can see whats there, smaller items should go into clear containers. Hunting gear shelf/hanger, camping gear shelves, beer brewing shelves(covered in dust currently), firearms cleaning station has always been on two tables, but was seriously considering a total rearrange for the addition of cleaning and loading shelves adjacent to the tables.
    I think I will start with a single, see how the obsession goes from there...

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I like the idea of the clear boxes, I try to arrange everything by shelf, so I can see whats there, smaller items should go into clear containers. Hunting gear shelf/hanger, camping gear shelves, beer brewing shelves(covered in dust currently), firearms cleaning station has always been on two tables, but was seriously considering a total rearrange for the addition of cleaning and loading shelves adjacent to the tables.
    I think I will start with a single, see how the obsession goes from there...

One thing that is typically overlooked with storage of reloading components? That's the number of small boxes of numerous varieties of components, with each having significant weight. Lightweight and deep shelving works well for lots of household storage, but it sucks for most of what you'll want to store if you get into loading the different cartridges you mention in any significant quantity. It is great to be able to see what components you have on hand quickly, but being able to do so can take more consideration than you'd think to be able to accomplish it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Wanted to get some feedback on home reloading. I have been interested in it for some time. Thought, I would wait until retirement but the way things are, sooner may be better.
    I typically prefer to pay a little more upfront and get something, that will last. Also I want to spend money on equipment that will keep the process as regimented/easy as possible.
    Equipment needed? Any recommendations on brands to purchase? Tools, that may not jump out at me until I'm in the middle of my first reload?

Should I just go online and order or is there a good dealer near Frederick MD that would give me good information and carry the products I need. I read about Hafer's near Hagerstown have not been there but its on my list.

Thoughts and comments very much appreciated.

All,
    Thanks for everything provided, darn glad I found MD Shooters! Appears first step is to get some books, done I ordered 1. The ABC's of Reloading, 2. Barnes Reloading, 3. The Beginners guide to Reloading.
    Second step decide what kind of re loader I am going to be. "Mucho mass" or "Small batch perfecto"! Probably somewhere in the middle, but I wont have time restraints.
    Questions asked what calibers.
    9mm pistol rounds and/or .45 ACP FYI I don't currently have a 45. but a 1911, is in my future, it will replace for the most part recreational use of the 9mm, and I have a large qty of 9mm's stocked.
    .223 YES other than one of the 2 above this will be made the most
    30-06 yes many, Side note and project, can I self load, so that each round is interchangeable between the M1 Garand and my Remington model 700 & Winchester model 70,

And that is it currently. Once up and running I will probably try to expand to reload almost all the calibers I have. 22, 38, 357, 44, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 308, shotguns probably only 12 ga. but that's just getting greedy!

You already got some good advice, the best thing to buy first is a reloading manual, many components are all but extinct for the next year or more, so plenty of time to get things together and research it.

The 3 main types of presses are single stage, turret, and progressive, each has their benefits, and each has their place, with a LOT of opinions about each. Single stage are ALWAYS useful, add a shellholder and die set, and you can load up to 100rds of ammo in an hour. You can do single operations, like crimping or pulling bullets, even if you use a progressive, and it's quick to set up for small batches. Only thing is most single stage priming systems kinda suck. I would suggest a RCBS Rock chucker, Lee classic cast or Hornady LNL are great and big enough for most calibers.

Progressive presses are usually recommended for those loading 1,000 or more rounds, and they can do up to that in an hour. A good progressive can be far more useful though, Hornady or Dillon are the way to go. I have a Hornady LNL AP with a case feeder, and use it all the time as a single stage to prep brass, or iron out small issues like crimping loaded rounds. Definitely get a case feeder, they speed things up greatly, bullet feeders can help, but they can be more finnicky. Where single stage presses just basically require a set of dies to change calibers, progressives can be far more involved and expensive. The LNL system is fast and easy to swap dies with minimal cost, you will need shell plate, dies, and case feeder plates, the press includes most other parts to swap calibers, takes about 10 min.

Turret presses have the best, and the worst attributes of both, load a single round in multiple steps, but still only 1 step per pull of the handle, where progressives complete a round every pull. They are easier to setup, but usually have the slow crappy primer ram of a single stage. They are faster than a single, and you can run it as a single stage or some have auto indexing. I had a Lee classic cast turret, it wasn't all that much better than single stage, and was nowhere near as fast as a progressive, so I didn't have it long.

Start with setting up your workspace, a table or countertop, stool, shelves, bins, good lighting, and a floor that is easy to clean. Figure the arm of most presses moves in an arc from about a foot above the table to a foot below, and each press needs a space on the edge about 18" wide to comfortably run. IMO a tall workbench with a barstool is about the best way to go, smaller tables work, but might need a riser mount to comfortably run presses.

You should also get a way to clean brass and a way to trim/deburr it, and swage or ream primer pockets if you plan on reloading for 5.56 or 7.62 mil brass. I like a dry media tumbler, works fine for brass, and gentle enough to tumble loaded rounds. Wet tumbler clean faster/better, but you need to dry the brass, and it's more aggressive. I use a Frankfort arsenal platinum case prep station and love it, really fast and easy to use, can add a primer pocket reamer tool, and trim, chamfer/deburr and ream the pocket in about 5 seconds. There are faster/more expensive press mounted systems that are far better, or slower hand crank systems that IMO are obsolete.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    OP- I would go ahead and buy this before it is out of stock.

Agreed. OP, you said you liked the idea of a single stage press. Can’t go wrong with a Rock Chucker and that kit has a lot of useful stuff even if just for the press and scale. You can always sell what you don’t end up having a use for or find something you like better.

That price is good and amazingly it’s still in stock. Midsouth is a great company too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom