• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    I am not a lawyer.
    If I may ask, what is your desire for a 16 inch barrel?
    The lower has a binary trigger and is originally a AR pistol mated to a 5.56 10.5" upper. This I play around with a Form 1 suppressor.

I may have other HBAR rifles and would want to run the binary trigger and the same suppressor on the rifle upper with NO intention of switching the buffer tube to accommodate a stock. Likewise if the barrel was not HBAR then the rifle/ pistol definition comes to question in the absence of a stock. Maybe best recourse is to avoid mating a 5.56 16" upper to the said lower to avoid any gray areas.

Not meaning to thread jack but if I have a AR9 pistol with a Franklin binary trigger mated to a upper with a 10.5" barrel, would there be an issue if I switched the upper and attached a 16" 9mm barrel?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There would be no Md based issue about HBAR .

But the unspoken part so far is pistol > rifle > pistol is totally OK .

Recon_D0c

May 30, 2017
    If he were to add a vertical grip then it would be considered a SBR and not a pistol.

OAL greater than 26" and vertical fore grip is good to go. The law is the law and people LOVE to live in fear. It is LEGAL to shoulder a AR-pistol brace. End of story on that, unless we want to perpetuate fear, then have at it ;)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OAL greater than 26" and vertical fore grip is good to go. The law is the law and people LOVE to live in fear. It is LEGAL to shoulder a AR-pistol brace. End of story on that, unless we want to perpetuate fear, then have at it ;)

Ain't that why we're here? :innocent0

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    There would be no Md based issue about HBAR .

But the unspoken part so far is pistol > rifle > pistol is totally OK .

So in MD no issue about my using a 16" HBAR upper to my AR pistol lower (sig brace). Thank goodness.

As for my AR9 pistol can I do the same (ie swap the 10.5 inch upper for a 16" upper)? I'm not sure if all 9mm uppers are HBAR or if the HBAR ruling applies to 9mm ARs. I'm asking because it is easier to explain to the wife that having an upper as "a part of the AR pistol setup" compared to explaining why I bought an AR9 rifle after assembling a pistol. :innocent0

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    So in MD no issue about my using a 16" HBAR upper to my AR pistol lower (sig brace). Thank goodness.

As for my AR9 pistol can I do the same (ie swap the 10.5 inch upper for a 16" upper)? I'm not sure if all 9mm uppers are HBAR or if the HBAR ruling applies to 9mm ARs. I'm asking because it is easier to explain to the wife that having an upper as "a part of the AR pistol setup" compared to explaining why I bought an AR9 rifle after assembling a pistol. :innocent0

The HBAR requirement only applies to 5.56. Per MDSP

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    The HBAR requirement only applies to 5.56. Per MDSP

Thank you for the quick reply.

I nearly bought the AR9 rifle lower from Jlowes. If my wife was not with me it would have been a done deal. :D But she was with me when I picked up the $499 Windham AR (she had no clue that I bought a rifle)... so it was pretty hard to justify why I wanted to get a 9mm rifle lower at that time. :rolleyes:

jfking

BANNED!!!
    Sep 14, 2020
    Ive asked this on another thread too .

I want to build my own as I've done with rifles and Glock 80% kits.

I wanted to build a 10.5 ar SBR but learned there is no way to do this without ATF paperwork

Now id like to build a AR pistol with 10.5" upper , and a brace (Not a Stock ) . I want to be 1000% compliant on building this pistol before I build it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ive asked this on another thread too .
    [snip]

Now id like to build a AR pistol with 10.5" upper , and a brace (Not a Stock ) . I want to be 1000% compliant on building this pistol before I build it.
    Nothing stopping you...as long as you can find the parts...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom