• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • King2fish

Oct 18, 2020
    Towson, Maryland
    I am looking for someone to hand load some 44s of an unusual size for my Iver Johnson revolver. I need 44 special brass trimmed down to 23mm in length with a 200 to 210 grain lead RNFP or wad cutter bullet on FFF black powder, hopefully around 25 or more grains. The total length no more than 32.50mm. I don't have the equipment to do this myself nor do I trust myself to do the work safely. Any takers?
    thanks

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You have me curious now, what caliber is this ? An actual IJ , or a generic knockoff ?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok , did some quick research , and found some probable answers :

Probably an IJ American Bulldog in " .44Webly & Bulldog " from 1870's - 80's , one of the rarer variants .

The .44Webly aka .442 Webley uses .436 bullet.

The good news for you is that Buffalo Arms offers loaded ammo for this , loaded with BP , currently in stock .

Be a custom loaded ctg , requiring brass modification , it is inherently expensive to produce , aprox $95/ 50 rds . If you only want a few rounds to shoot it just for the experience , this is the way to go . If you want to shoot it a lot , here's your sign to take up handloading And bullet casting .

Added- In revolvers of this vintage , take " standard " bullet diameters with a grain of salt . Measure your actual bore and throat dimensions before ordering a mold .

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Sounds like .44 Russian, the parent of .44 Special.

Cowboy loads might be available.

Bigger question, is the gun safe to shoot?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In general , from USA centric view , .44Russian was first thought . But I couldn't off hand think of a period Iver Johnson chambered for it . ( Hopkins & Allen plausible , not IJ)

So I worked backwards by checking 19th Cen IJ offerings . The Top Break revolvers maxed out at .38S&W as I'd thought . But before ( and overlapping with 1st Model Topbreak) were solid frame revolvers of the Webly patterns . Cals included .44Rf and Cf .

" .44 CF " predating the intro of the Russian by a year , implied straight wall case , small-ish frame gun had my suspicions. Further checking turned up reference to " .44 Webbley & Bulldog " markings , and Bingo !

King2fish

Oct 18, 2020
    Towson, Maryland
    Thanks for your answer. I may have been unclear. I have been collecting pre 1899 revolvers for awhile at this point. I know what revolver I own and what it is chambered for. IJ made a solid frame called "The American Bulldog" which is stamped on the top strap, in 442 Webley, 38 S&W, 32 S&W. That is what I have, that is what I have. The condition is fine. Ivers in 442 Webley have a cylinder chamber a good bit longer than a 442 cartridge. I have no idea why they were made that way. Some brands were, some were not. With that said, I'm looking to get a longer 442. The standard brass for remanufacturing a 442 is the 44 special, which is then shortened. BTW "American Bulldog" is a very short, low powered 442 originated in the USA. The 442 has c19 grains of BP, 44 Bulldog even less. The 44 S&W American made by Buffalo Arms is the right overall length, however they use cut down 41 magnum brass, not fat enough for 442 Webley. Starlines 44 special brass is a much better replacement, in fact that's what I use now having bought 50 from an auction site. The 44 Russian is way too long in overall length and the pressures are way too high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom